Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat drooling and falling over

kelebek
November 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Please help. I took in a cat who had been injured? she was severely dehydrated and couldn't support herself on her hind legs , she was also very very skinny. She spent 4 days at the vets on a drip and then, for the past week has been eating and drinking small amounts and walking round but still kept falling over. For the last 2 days she hasn't eaten are drunk at all and today she was drooling and brought up yellow fluid (bile?). I try to help the stray animals here as much as I can and have taken many to the vets and cared for them over the years but I don't have much money and the vets are expensive and don't have the equipment etc to help very much. Please if anyone has any idea what is wrong with this cat and can tell me how to help her I would be so grateful. At the moment I don't feel that the outlook is very good but I will do all I can. Thank you

Winston
November 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Im really sorry your kitty is not well..it must be very hard to watch!

Having said that we are not vets and it really sounds like your kitty needs some medical intervention! Could you borrow the money or get some form of payment arrangement? Its really important that cats get water and food in them and after a few days they can go downhill quickly! can you water down the food and try to feed him or her?

Did the cat maybe eat something that it toxic?

Please dow hat you can to get to a vet! it could be your only chance!

Good luck!

Cindy

chico2
November 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I can imagine there are a lot of stray cats in Turkey and thank you for doing what you can to help:thankyou:
Unfortunately the problem this poor kitty has is not something we can advice you on,I wish we could:sad:

I can only hope that if she eats and drinks,she'll regain her strenght:pray:

kelebek
November 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your replies. I was so upset that I took her to a different vet this afternoon- what a difference!! He was really kind and gave her a thorough examination and put her on a drip for 2 hours, it would appear that she has a kidney infection as well as being half starved from when she was on the street. He gave her antibiotics, vitamins, worm tabs, flea and tick medication, pain killers and something to help flush her kidneys. When I went back to collect her she was snuggled up with a hot water bottle!!! Brilliant vet!! He only charged me for the medication nothing for anything else because she is a street cat. The bill came to roughly 25 but I was amazed when all my friends said that they would help me out with the cost. Aren't people lovely?!! She is now home with me and tucked up with a hot water bottle. The vet also gave me some special food for when cats are ill so I will try her with that tomorrow. Thank you so much for your replies - I really thought I was going to lose her and I appreciate your advice - had I done nothing she would probably be dead by now. Thanks again xxx

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for looking out for this kitty. Do you know what the nature of her injuries are/were? Was she hit by a car, attacked by a dog, etc?

Drooling can be a sign of nausea, pain, ingested toxins.... And a cat that stops eating is very sick. There's no way we can help you home-treat this kitty. Can you talk to the vet about helping you out with payments or something? Sadly, you may have to consider taking her in to be euthanized as a kind way to end her suffering. Sorry you're going through this.... :grouphug:

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yay!!!!!! Sorry, I was still writing when you posted, but I'm so happy to hear that she's getting some better treatment. Give this vet a huge hug for me. You are both angels. :angel2:

chico2
November 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Kelebek,that's great,thank's for the up-date,hopefully she'll now improve:pray:
Oh and Welcome to our Forum,we've never had anyone who lives in Turkey before.

kelebek
November 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome to your forum. This is the first time I've been on anything like this so I expect it will take me a while to find my way around!! But it seems to be brilliant - all like-minded people sharing experiences and support - is that right???? I have been really impressed.
Phoebe, as I have called the cat, is about 6 months old and is a long haired tabby, absolutely gorgeous. She is still vey timid and had been attacked by a dog. It seems that the dog had her by the throat and she couldn't get away as she was so weak. I've taken her back to the vet today as she still isn't eating so more antibiotics, vitamins and serum and a return visit tomorrow.
There is a real problem here with the street dogs and cats, not so bad in the summer when the tourists feed them but when they go the poor animals are starving. Unfortunately there is no national animal welfare set up here and there certainly isn't any where near the same feeling for animals that we have. Most of the foreigners who live here do what they can, but for every one that is helped there are another 50 or so that it is impossible to do anything for. I have the philosophy which I have to live by, that if a cat or dog comes to me for help- which believe me does happen - or I personally come across an injured or sick animal I will do all I can for it but I can't go seeking them out!!!

I already have a recued dog and am looking after another one which is proving really difficult as Phoebe is understandably terrified. So the dogs are in the garden at the moment while it is Phoebe's time with me - hey ho - no doubt it will all sort itself out one way or another given time. My main concern at the moment is to try and get Phoebe well. Thanks and very best wishes to you all.