Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat losing hair!

canadian_ehngel
November 6th, 2009, 02:44 AM
My cat is 7 years old (and have 2 others). He had to get stitches a few weeks ago due to a large wound on his thigh. Since then, he has been licking a lot. I just started noticing about 2-3 days ago that he's begun losing his fur. All 3 of them get regular check ups yearly, and at his vet appointments with his stitches he received check ups 2 out of 3 visits and was perfectly fine each time. He's been outside twice since getting his cone removed (about a week after getting his stitches out). The area his stitches were at looks fantastic... no sign of ever having had stitches. His hair is growing back there.
He's got thinning fur on his back, all 4 legs and his belly. In most of his hairless or thinning patches he's got sores... bleeding or scabbed over. Could this be a reaction from the antibiotics he got with his stitches? As I said, he's been licking and chewing since he got his cone off, but didn't start losing hair until a couple days ago. His food and litter are the same, and there haven't been any changes in the household of any kind. I searched him for fleas and couldn't find a trace of anything.
My only other option is to bring him in to the vet and we don't have the money to do that at this time (with kids' birthdays and school, other daily expenses, the previous vet bill, etc). I can take pictures of him if that will help?? :shrug::wall::confused:

growler~GateKeeper
November 6th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Sounds like an allergic reaction either to the stitches, whatever was in the antibiotic or something he got into outside. It would be a good idea to have the vet look at the sores/scabs

rainbow
November 6th, 2009, 04:06 AM
What are you feeding him?

canadian_ehngel
November 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Our cats are getting Purina Cat Chow. They've gotten it since we got them, and we've never had problems before.

catlover2
November 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
It's difficult to say what is wrong with your cat's skin since there are many causes from allergy, insect bites, staph or bacterial infections (maybe even picked up at the vet clinic) or ringworm picked up from your cat being outside. Because it has come on suddenly, I think it's unlikely to be related to food allergy.

Whatever it is, you'll have to have a vet diagnose what it is.

http://www.cat-health-guide.org/cat-skin-problems.html

http://www.cat-world.com.au/ringworm-in-cats this can be infectious to your other cats.