Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

can't find the dog we like

raingirl
August 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM
I know the title is general, but I'm bad at message titles.

I just wanted to first thank everyone for their posts when I said my significant other (SO) and I were thinking of getting our first dog. Neither of us have ever had one before, so we didn't know where to start.

We went to the library and read a ton this weekend. We read up on dogs that are good for apartments. We also read up on the needs of specific dogs. We are out of the house for 12 hours a day, so it has to be a dog who can be alone that long. It took some convincing, but the SO is ok with an adult dog who is already housebroken and trained. We do plan on taking some courses with the dog on basic training.

We have both agreed that we would love to get a Bulldog. They are aparently great apartment dogs. They need moderate exercise (we go walking daily, so that should be ok right?). They are playfull as well as cuddly.

The only problem I have hit...I can't find any rescue dogs in Canada with bulldog in them. The closest is New York. And they are charging several $100's US for them. I searched all over petfinder.com.

Any ideas?

Raingirl

debanneball
August 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
The humane society, the Society for Cruelty to Animals...shall I go on. :p

Bill & Bob
August 23rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
12 hours is a long time for a poochie to be alone. I'm certainly not judging you or your intentions, but I don't think any breed you pick could be left alone for that long without a bathroom/exercise break. I know I couldn't last 12 hours without having to do some 'business'.

Or maybe you've already thought of that and have someone or yourself dropping by during the day.

mastifflover
August 23rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Bulldogs are far and few in rescues in Canada thank godness. I think if the dog is going to be left alone for long periods you must consider the size small dogs cannot hold it as long as larger breeds. Also highly active dogs ie: Border Collie, Jack Russells, etc. will rip your place up if they are bored or do not get enough exercise. I am only stating these things for your sake and the sake of your new dog. I certainly would like you to find the ideal dog and vice versa. So that he/she does not end up back at a shelter because they did not live up to your expectations or ruined something of yours because they were bored.

Cinnabear
August 23rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Have you thought about a cat maybe. You can leash train it to walk with you. They don't need that much attention, as compared to dogs. Would be able to be left alone for 12 hours at a time. They are affectionate too.

Catt31
August 23rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
I agree with Billy Bob....12 hours is WAYYYY too long for a dog to be alone. Hire a dog walker or get a neighbour to let your pooch out during the day. Can you come home at lunch and let him/her out???

Don't get a dog until you can spend more time with it - it is not fair!! How would you like to be locked up in a room for 12 hours and not allowed to pee or poop?? Not fun I would imagine. :(

Keep looking, the perfect dog will come your way - be patient!! We looked for about 6 months before we found our perfect lil angel!! Or should I say, he found us!!! :rolleyes:

jenjen
August 23rd, 2004, 07:49 PM
If your considering getting an animal that won't require a lot of attention and excersise, maybe a cat is a better option. They can be just as fun as dogs but are also very independant and do not mind being left alone. You can get cats used to pretty much the same things as dogs....walks,car rides and even camping on the occasion.
There is nothing worse than those sad little pooch eyes looking up aat you saying "how come your never home". They don't understand 12 hour work days.
Good luck with everything, and I hope you and your so find a pet that makes you happy

Luba
August 23rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
I agree though you want a dog it would not be beneficial to the dog or to you. There will be problems that occurr and the dog will suffer for it.

Please unless your situation changes and you're not away so many hours a day consider NOT getting a dog at this time.

BUT you can always volunteer at a shelter to get some experience and walk some dogs that would love the company.

Cflat
August 24th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I agree that a dog isn't perfect for your situation. Do you have a neighbour that can come and take it out during the day? That could work. I'd also like to advise NOT getting stuck on one breed of dog. Although overall they have similar traits (Border Collies are high energy, Shelties bark, Beagles are not good off leash) it isn't written in stone.

Perhaps getting TWO cats would be an answer. They will keep each other company during the day and you'll have twice the fun!

raingirl
August 24th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

A cat is not an option as I am deathly allergic to them (I get asthma attacks in my friend's car just being near her with cat stuff all over her).

We work in the city, which is over an hour away so we can't come home for lunch.

We just moved here, so we don't know anyone to help us out. How could we find a dog walker? We are tech geeks and would be worried about thefts.

I guess we won't be able to get a dog after all. Oh well. :(

What I don't understand, is my friend had a dog growing up and they left it alone all day, from 6 am to 6 pm with no problems. No one let it out during the day. It was a poodle.

shan
August 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I dont think is a matter of a dog CANT handle being left alone for 12 hours, its more they shouldnt be left that long, because they are such social animals. I am not saying that I am perfect though. Annie is alone for 8 hours a day, and that is almost too long. She does okay, I just feel guilty.

CarlaD
August 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM
We have always had pets growing up and now that I am married.

Our dogs are left alone between 6:30 am and 3:30pm (Willy used to be left alone until 5:30 pm, before Noah got his new job) and he was fine.

Now that we have Charlie we have a neighbour come over and take them out until Charlie is a little older.

If you go to your local pet store, they usually have a listing of dog care providers that you can contact, or look them up online. There are a few in our area and they are bonded and come with recommendations.

You will find it in your heart to do the best thing for you guys and the animal in this situation.

debanneball
August 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I work, leave home 8:15 return before 2 pm on a bad day, and I feel guilty about leaving my dog alone. Have you thought about a canary, they have a lovely song (if you get the male); a parrot, they will outlive you? :D

Freyja
August 24th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Have you been tested for dog allergies? My daughter is allergic to both.

Catt31
August 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM
I'm allergic to both too, and well, I have 2 cats AND a dog!! I also have asthma, but my love for pets is stronger than a little cough or sneeze here and there!! I guess I'm a sucker for punishment but I won't get rid of my animals...NO WAY!!! There are so many things out there to help with pet allergies - air purifiers, UV fliters on your furnace, etc.... check into it!! :D

CityLimits
August 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I agree with Shan, its not that a dog can't be left for 12 hours, its just better for them if they are not.

If you really want to get a dog, I second the idea of using a dog walker or pet sitter. I don't think you need to worry about your stuff, just make sure you interview them and get some references. They are probably more reliable and trustworthy then asking a neighbour. Ask your vet, they would know some one to use. Also, many sitters are insured and bonded for added security. Too bad you are not in my area as I offer pet sitting and dog walking services. You may also try this link, it lists some sitters in your area.
http://www.acpsn.com/listings/ontario/gtawest5.shtml

Good luck

Enjolras
August 24th, 2004, 11:35 PM
i wouldn't get a dog if you're away for 12 hours at a time.

there just isn't enuf time in the day to spend on it, and dogs need love! ;)

figure...12 hours away, home for 4 hours, in bed for 8, and gone again...the dogs gonna get 1/2 hour of attention max. its just not fair to the pup ;)

now cats...if they have food and water you can leave them alone for a LONG time, and they'll be fine.

raingirl
August 25th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Been tested and dogs are the only thing I'm not allergic too (I'm allergic to cats, birds, and all the small furry ones like rabbits and hamsters. I'm also allergic to fish...but I think that's only an eating thing...hehehe).

When I was getting my mail yesterday, I saw that someone in our building is a dog walker/sitter, but they charge $15 per walk/visit! That's a lot!

My neice is 10. If she were older I'd ask her to do it after school (I can see her school from my apartment). I know if I asked my sister, she would say she is too young to be coming over to my place alone. Oh well.

Citylimits, I checked out your link, but there's no one in Brampton that does walks during the day.

What if I got 2 dogs so they wouldn't be lonely during the day??

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:39 AM
12 hours is a long time for a poochie to be alone. I know I couldn't last 12 hours without having to do some 'business'.
Or maybe you've already thought of that and have someone or yourself dropping by during the day.

My aunt had a dog that was alone all day in an apartment too, while she worked. She trained him to use those "doggie diapers"- kind of like a diaper spread on the floor like a mat. That way you don't have to worry about the poochie in pain trying to hold it all that time!

And there are always dog walkers/ sitters that you may be able to pay to come for a lunch hour play date.

krdahmer
August 25th, 2004, 10:43 AM
its just not fair to the pup ;)

now cats...if they have food and water you can leave them alone for a LONG time, and they'll be fine.

mmmm....now I know that may technically be true, but my girls are never alone for very long and I know they miss me when I'm gone cause they are always waitin for me at the door when I get back. When I have an overnight trip or will be out for a whole day..."Grandma and Grandpa" watch them here or at their house.

Kitties need lots of loving too!!! ;)

Catt31
August 25th, 2004, 11:07 AM
What if I got 2 dogs so they wouldn't be lonely during the day??

Double the problem!! If you are going to get a dog, you need to lessen the hours you are away or pay a dog walker or sitter!!! IF you want to be fair to your dog, that is. If you are tight on money, then maybe getting a dog isn't such a good idea right now. Keep looking, saving money to put into a dogwalker fund, and once you are reallyyyyy ready, the perfect dog will come along!!!

You are very determined and I respect that, but maybe you should take the signs you are given and wait, be patient for that special dog!! Things happen for reasons (I believe)!! Put $ into a jar or something at home every pay check and make that the dog fund!! Before long, you will have more than enough for a dog walker 5 times a week!!! Keep doing that and looking around for a dog you want and all will fall into place!!! :D

glasslass
August 25th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Puss-Puss has never been a vocal kitty. That's why we were surprized when a friend was feeding her and giving her her pills while we were at my brothers wedding up north for 3 days. He had no problems but said he never heard a cat so vocal! Said she obviously was telling him all about us taking off and leaving her.

Spoiled
August 25th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Is there any families near that have a dog that you know? Maybe they would do it for you. Dog walkers are expensive, but they are about the only way to go. You live in an appartmant right? Maybe if you live on the ground level you can get a doggie door put in. But I do agree, if you're going to get a dog, you need someone to come and cuddle him/her while you're away at work. Is there someone with a dog that they walk at lunch time that would be willing to come to your place for, say $15.00 a week?

heidiho
August 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM
I agree 12 hours is really long,but the average person works 8 hours a day,and have dogs,i feel as long as you make up for it and love and make sure when you are there he gets lots of playtime and attention there is nothing wrong with that..

OnlyInMyDreams
August 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I agree with Heidiho, but the diapers is definitely not a bad idea. And the doogie door if your on the bottom floor is a good idea too. Do you think that when you are home that the pup will get lots and lots of love? Definitely dont get a dog if you will leave it alone all day and then ignore him/her when you get home. Make sure you show him/her that you missed her terribly and love him/her lots. I would like to see you get a dog that you will really love but make sure you give him/her the home it will deserve. Think about the welfare of the pup and the happiness that Im sure you want it to have. Definitely look into the dog sitter though or make sure it has a way to use to potty.

Charli246
August 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM
A lot of people has been saying that 12 hours is too long. I know my dog couldn't handle that ... more out of loneliness than bladder issues.

But my sister-in-law has two miniature dachshunds. And with her busy schedule they are sometimes left alone for longer periods of time. I will admit though, that I'm not exactly sure of the length of time and the frequency. However, because the dogs are smaller - and thus produce smaller amounts of poo, she has them "paper trained". She doesn't use newspaper, she uses absorbant pads from the pet store (basically a flattened diaper) that results in no need to wash the floor every time they go. She comes home, folds up the pads and trashes them (pad not dogs).

This isn't something I would reccomend for a larger breed dog. But could this be a possibility for a smaller dog?

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2004, 09:15 PM
IMHO, leaving any dog alone for 12 hours on a daily basis is cruel to the dog. Sure, you're providing for their basic needs, but one very BIG need is that of human companionship. A dog is not complete without it, and will pine. Sure, an older dog can handle it once in a while (e.g. you've got an after-work party to go to). But every day? Not feasible. Wait until your situation changes and you're able to be there to enjoy your pet and vice-versa. Just my opinion... :)

MBRA518
August 26th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I agree with Heidiho on this one... My dog (rotti) is alone from 6:00 until at least 3:30... and sometimes up to 12 hrs (although I try not to do that). Now she does have a cat for company, but she gets lots of attention after work and i try to take her anywhere I go other than work. I've been doing this with her since she was young - although in her younger years I was in school so the times away were usually shorter.

Pets are not just for family's were one doesn't work or works from home. Most people have to work 8 hours a day to support themselves... If every dog were required to be in a situation to be only left alone for an hour or two... there would be a lot less homes for dogs.

I think it is possible to find a dog and situation that would fit here... be it the right dog, a dog walker/ friend to take the dog out or some sort of indoor doggy potti. I personally think you should consider 2 dogs..JMO but I've always found that my Rosie deals with being alone best when she has a friend to play with. Often 2 dogs together are much more independent that 1 alone.

What about considering a Chi or other mini breed - I've heard of them being litter trained.

raingirl
August 26th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Interesting commments.

Unfortunately, we live on the 10th floor. So no doggy door. But I have looked into those doggy pad things, and "dog litter". We actually saw a dog in a foster home that *doesn't* do his business outside, only on the dog pads (that's how he was trained).

I just don't see how it will ever be possible to be home in less than 12 hours. We only work 8 hours per day, which is the minimum for a full time job. Then it's 1 hour travel each way. Minimum would be 10 hours a dog would be alone. (leave the house at 6:45 and home by 5:10). There are no jobs in the city we are in, so we have to travel. Plus not having a car doesn't help (darn those student loans sucking up all our money!).

It's funny how we talk about this and I started thinking about having kids and the "working parents" complex. My sister and husband work from 7 am to 6 pm. Kids are dropped at baby sitter by 6:30 am, picked up between 6 and 6:30 PM. Everyone I know who has full time job and kids does this. If it's not nice for dogs, must be worse for kids! We would love to work less (wouldn't we all?) but it's just not possible these days. Student loans are high, but starter jobs are low paying. Even with a university degree, we are getting barely above minimum wage after taxes. It's sad for young people these days to get a start in life. Pay at started jobs for university educated are at an all time low. I thought going to university would get me a better job. Everyone I work with barely has any college, let alone university. I sucks.

I've wanted a dog...all my life! I moved out on my own 3 years ago and have been planning for one ever since. I want to do everything I can to make this work.

How do you guys do it? How do you manage jobs and still get home for the pets?

debanneball
August 26th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Well, I leave for work around 8:15 return by 2 pm on a bad day. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. They are fine at home, most of the time they sleep, and when I return they are up and WILD. My hubby says that when I leave work, my only thought is of getting home..he's right. Yes, I worry about the pets, yes, I imagine the disaster zone upon my return. But 12 hours, and all alone. Just imagine if you were a dog, alone for that time period, especially a puppy... :eek: lonely or what! :eek: I would rethink your idea of getting a puppy until you are more financially secure, own (maybe rent) a house so the puppy can have a lawn to pee on..not paper. I know you are allergic to cats, but what about bird...fish...turtle... :p

debanneball
August 26th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Sorry, don't mean to sound mean....

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 10:09 AM
You know,you sound like you love dogs as much as i do..And for some people that say dont do it,it is cruel,as far as i see it ,isnt it alot better then a dog living in a kennel at a shelter,i mean eveeryone here is for saving animals from shelters,well a loving home is surely alot better then a shelter,if they are gone 12 hours so be it,sure as hell beats rotting away in a shelter///

CarlaD
August 26th, 2004, 10:15 AM
When we get home we spend a lot of time with the dogs. If we are not directly playing with them they are in the backyard playing with each other.

It has come to the point now, if we happen to be home during the day, they just sleep anyway, because this is their normal routine.

Last week I took the day off of work and I was sitting on the couch reading and Willy kept coming over and looking at me and turning his back. I finally realized, that I was sitting on his couch that he sits on to look out the window!

Dogs get into a pattern just as humans do.

MBRA518
August 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
You know,you sound like you love dogs as much as i do..And for some people that say dont do it,it is cruel,as far as i see it ,isnt it alot better then a dog living in a kennel at a shelter,i mean eveeryone here is for saving animals from shelters,well a loving home is surely alot better then a shelter,if they are gone 12 hours so be it,sure as hell beats rotting away in a shelter///

Amen!

I totally agree

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM
You know i was thinking about it,and yeah it is a long time 12 hours,but all i have to offer a dog,i love them more than anything else,it would be one lucky dog to live with me,i am just waiting for the right dog,and to be more financially secure,and i will be getting another,....

raingirl
August 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I guess that makes sense. Better to have a loving home than die in a shelter!

We would totally play with the dog the dog while we are home all the time. My significant other is a early morning/late night guy. I'm a sleeper though. Chances are he will have taken the dog out in the morning for a walk even before I wake up!

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 11:05 AM
When i had my gsd he lived in an apt,but when i got home i would take him to the ice cream store,or wherever i would go,we would take long walks,on the weekend i would take him to the park,he got soooo much attention when i was home,he was just very alpha,so i dont have him,but he had it good at my house,and so will a dog you get.

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 11:05 AM
oops,supposed to put a you there in that last sentance

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 11:51 AM
I agree also. Even though the dog will alone for 12 hours im sure youll make up for it when you get home with all the love and attention that you will give him/her. Id rather see that then a lonely, unloved dog at a shelter anyday! Im sure the dog you guys choose will be a happy one, just make sure you make the right choice. They want forever homes not ones that go away because of something they did wrong or a mistake the owners make. :) Im sure youll do great!

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 11:57 AM
OK, so maybe being alone for 12 hrs/day is better than being in a cage at a shelter.

Is there any way you two can stagger your work hours? Maybe one can work 7-3 and the other 9-5?

Just a word of warning - if you are planning on having children soon, you will find that you will be dedicating even less of your free time to the dog then. You might not want to spend every waking hour with the pup, or it will get used to it and might get jealous once the baby arrives.

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I didnt see that,you are having a baby soon??? That will be alot alot alot of work

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I didnt see that,you are having a baby soon??? That will be alot alot alot of work
(LOL) Raingirl said they were thinking about when they start having children ... I didn't mean she was expecting one *soon*. All I meant was that, as a young couple, that should always be a consideration. :)

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Thats a good point. That would be alot of work. My fiance said the same thing to me about how I smuther my dog. He said that when we have a baby that hes going to be worried about Bear Bear getting jealous over the attention I give to the baby. We dont "plan" on having children until I am done with school and working, so it wont be for a while but you really never know. its going to be hard but if you love your dog, like I do, you will make it work no matter what it takes.

Writing4Fun
August 26th, 2004, 12:21 PM
It can be very difficult, and there are ways to prepare your dog for the arrival of a child. But, as we all know, a lot of dogs wind up in shelters precisely because some people don't know how or aren't willing/able to put in the effort to help their dog adapt to the change in his/her status in the pack (because that is essentially what happens :o ). I'm sure none of us here is like that ;). It is, however, something younger people should consider about themselves honestly before taking in a dog.

heidiho
August 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM
OH,Thanks............

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM
That is a good point. I really wanted a cat that I had found but for one I cant afford to keep her, I already have my responsibility to my Bear Bear. Another reason my fiance and I didnt keep her was because I had heard that having cat can be harmful for the child. Since kittys have a tendency to sleep on your chest it can hurt the baby when he/she is breathing. Im not sure if this is completely accurate but it was definitely a reason I couldnt keep her. I know that I would have to give up the kitty if I were to become pregnant. I actually seen this happen first hand at my Uncles house. His little boy was sleeping on the couch and the kitten was on his chest. All of a sudden the starting throwing his arms around and gasping for air. We called the ambulance and by the time they arrived he was turning blue. Luckily there was no real damage. I was quite young at the time and I dont remember specifics but I remember they did get rid of the cat bc it was a health issue for the child. But after seeing that it makes me weary of kittens around children. Im sure ill get alot of educated kitty people on here to come yell at me and tell me that I dont know what Im talking about.. Please do, I really dont know much about it and would like to know if that is the case.

MBRA518
August 26th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Well one reason (or should I say excuse) that many expecting couples/people give for getting rid of the cat is because of the litter - the fumes can be harmful to the fetus - but it's not that big of a deal to have the non pregnant party clean the litter and as long as it is kept clean - fumes are not an issue, or simply wear a face mask while performing the task.

As for your concern - I've heard it call the "stealing breathe" theory - which I'm pretty sure is a load of cow poo. However any heavy objects on the chest of a sleeping child can potentially cause problems - and no animal should be allowed to sleep ON a child. Of course there are always certain risks with having any animal around children, from asthma/allergies to the animal physically harming the child (on purpose or not) - that is why pets need to be trained how to act around a child and play times needs to be monitored... you never allow any animal unsupervised access to small children - anything can happen.

OnlyInMyDreams
August 26th, 2004, 01:08 PM
ooo and one more thing as for chi being able to litter train that is very true and its great. My childhood dog was a chi and was trained to use to litter box, very helpful indeed!