Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long till Amitriptyline helps

lindapalm
November 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
We had Feliway diffusers plugged in for over a month and they did nothing to help Bennie, a sprayer, stop. We put him in a pen in our garage, and have had him on Amitriptlyne for a week. Before we brought him back in the house we put the furniture back to normal, (there was a bed downstairs because I couldn't climb stairs for awhile) and still had the diffusers plugged in. We brought him in yesterday, and he sprayed on at least two things that I know of. If the meds were going to work, would they by now, or is it too early? He is much mellower, but thats about it. He's back out in the pen again and we're going around with the black light again tonight.

Love4himies
November 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM
It made Sweet Pea mellow after the first dose.

lindapalm
November 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
He's much mellower, but it doesn't matter, he's still spraying. He never was an excited cat, always pretty calm.

krdahmer
November 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
(he is fixed right?) assuming yes, Fagan was on it for skin issues and it did take a good 2-3 weeks before we actually saw it make a difference in his behaviour other than being mellow.

rainbow
November 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
If cats are like people then maybe a different type of anti-anxiety med will work better. Here's some info on different ones ....

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_feline_house_soiling.html

14+kitties
November 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
You have said before you had him in the garage in the "bad boy" pen. Seeing as this is an inborn thing for cats to do it is possible when you brought him back in to a "new" spot with other cats again he was just marking his territory. I would think it's pretty normal. You removed his smell by cleaning all the places he had gone so he is replacing it. It's possible that if he was left in the house for a while and allowed to settle back in he would stop the behaviour. JMO :shrug:
Has this cat been brought to the vet for a checkup to see if he is healthy?

lindapalm
November 6th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Bennie was taken to vet before starting meds. Vet gave him a shot of Convenia without tests, saying that that is what he'd have to do anyhow if tests showed an infection. I disagreed, but I think its behavorial anyhow. We gave our first sprayer to my mother in law, and she has only one other cat, a female, and Rocky is not giving her any problem. I thought with Rocky gone Bennie would be okay, guess not. He's going in my computer room tomorrow, hope he doesn't spray on my keyboard. I don't think it will work cause he'll still know theres cats on the other side of the door, but I'm going to give it a shot. This is the only room thats never been sprayed on (not for long) If this doesn't work, I'm going to try Prozac like the website Rainbow posted.