Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Could salmon have caused a UTI?

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't feed my gang fish, but now and then I buy them some tuna. About a week ago, I got them some of the food toppers, chicken and salmon. I figured maybe some dried treats would be okay. I'm an idiot.

I've been looking stuff up most of the morning and most sites say to keep away from fish because of possibilities of causing UTI.

Generally, a good quality commercial food should be fine for your cat. I would recommend avoiding fish flavored foods, which are said to be suspect in crystal formation. I would also recommend that you supplement your cat's dry food diet with a small amount of canned food each day, also avoiding the fish flavors, with the eventual goal of getting him on a mostly- or wholly-canned food diet.

I'm now wondering if perhaps this could have been the cause of Oksana's issue. And like an idiot of course, I sprinkled some on her food this morning!:yell:

krdahmer
November 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I'd like to know too, because the only wet food Smoke will eat is wellness turkey and salmon! And she's the one with UTI issues!:confused:

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I'm going to ask the vet when I talk to her. I'm hoping to get the junior wellness results tomorrow and I'll ask her then.

Jim Hall
November 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM
ive fed all of my cats fish ive only had 1 case of a uti

ive been feeding du salmon tuna and shrimo for 2 years now cause thats what she will eat and have hed no problems

sugarcatmom
November 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Fish can be a factor in urinary tract issues for some cats, for a couple reasons. One is that fish can be a source of allergies and inflammation, including of the bladder and urinary tract, due to the presence of histamine. Another reason is that the minerals in fish are more easily converted into struvite crystals, which can irritate the bladder and cause cystitis. Whether or not the small amount you were feeding Oksana had a role to play in her current UTI is hard to say. Might be a good idea to stop feeding her fish in the future, just in case.

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Fish can be a factor in urinary tract issues for some cats, for a couple reasons. One is that fish can be a source of allergies and inflammation, including of the bladder and urinary tract, due to the presence of histamine. Another reason is that the minerals in fish are more easily converted into struvite crystals, which can irritate the bladder and cause cystitis. Whether or not the small amount you were feeding Oksana had a role to play in her current UTI is hard to say. Might be a good idea to stop feeding her fish in the future, just in case.

Thanks SCM. Nobody is getting fish anymore PERIOD! I am going to mention it to the vet for sure when I talk to her.

Love4himies
November 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Good idea, AG. I do feed mine raw Salmon when we have it, but that is not too often, but that is about it.

Do you add any water to their canned food?

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Do you add any water to their canned food?

Yes, I always do. I mix it but still leave enough so it's slightly thick still, since I know they like that texture. They won't have it if it's too soupy.