Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another ER trip for Oscar last night though he seems fine now

rjesak
November 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
He's been doing really well. Then yesterday I came home and he'd pulled out one of his stitches (mom forgot to keep an eye on him). :wall::yell: The wound was a tiny bit swollen but not bad so I kept him off it and figured I'd call the vet today. Went to bed around 930 but he kept trying to lick so I put the cone of shame on him for awhile - he got so upset by it though (and I'm so panicky about his asthma :cry2:) I took it off within about a half an hour. During the next 30 minutes I watched him go into the litter box about 6 times. He'd sit in there and lick his chops and come out and leave nothing behind.

I called the ER and they said if he had a blockage, he needed to come in ASAP so about 11, we headed out. The doc did a physical exam and said his bladder was not distended (in fact he thought it may be empty) and he didn't even feel any feces. He said "Well, maybe he just has the urge to go." Pretty simple, but why the urge AND why the discomfort (the chop-licking)? :confused: He really couldn't answer that. He said he was sure it wasn't a blockage though so he's on his way back to the vet this morning at 9:15.

So why can't anything be easy? Can't I just enjoy him and stop worrying about him for a while???

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Oh boy, there must be something in the water. All these kitties! I hope Oscar is okay. Maybe he was going into the litter box to hide from you so he could lick himself. :shrug:

rjesak
November 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Nope, AncientGirl, he had another place where he could hide so he could lick himself! :D

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Nope, AncientGirl, he had another place where he could hide so he could lick himself! :D

Oy, that little stinker. :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2009, 09:09 PM
During the next 30 minutes I watched him go into the litter box about 6 times. He'd sit in there and lick his chops and come out and leave nothing behind.

The lip licking (nausea due to the strain) after going to the litterbox whether there is a deposit or not indicates there is definately difficulty of some sort.

:goodvibes: How's Oscar doing now? :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I hope he's better tonight :fingerscr You've both been through enough :grouphug:

14+kitties
November 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Oh poor Oscar. He sure has had you worried for a while now. Sending :goodvibes: he starts to show some improvement. :grouphug:

rainbow
November 5th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Poor Oscar :sad: and poor you. :grouphug:

I hope he is doing better tonight. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

diandpat
November 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Any news on Oscar this morning? Hope he is doing better :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

rjesak
November 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I really would like to be able to stop worrying about him and just love him for a while - we've been on a roller coaster for a year now! We took him in to the regular vet and they gave him another antibiotic shot and stapled the stitch he'd pulled out. :frustrated:

Now he seems very happy. He purrs every time I look at him and he seems to be more himself. The litter box went unused by him last night so I'm feeling optimistic...

Please, please let this be enough for him. I'm running out of emotional resources! :fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:grouphug:

diandpat
November 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I really would like to be able to stop worrying about him and just love him for a while -

Please, please let this be enough for him. I'm running out of emotional resources! :fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr:grouphug:

I hear you on that one...have had a new cat who has been sick for 3 of the 3.5weeks I have had him :sad:

He is finally feeling better now...I hope this is enough too because it is hard on our hearts when they are so sick and we can't help :frustrated:

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

rainbow
November 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Sending lots of :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Oscar to be on the road to recovery. :fingerscr