Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How many bowel movements a day is normal for a kitty?

MissPurryJess
November 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I'm losing my mind - one of my cats has been having 2-3 bowel movements a day. And not to be graphic or disgusting or anything, but to be brutally honest - they smell AWFUL. :yuck:

Background: He and his sister eat Tiki Cat wild salmon wet food (a few Tbsp a day each) and a Natural Balance and Now! dry food mixture. They eat plenty, drink plenty, and are not overweight. Unfortunately we use World's Best Cat Litter, which does not cover up any odor as well as being yellow and making my cats stomp little yellow corn pawprints all over the house. :yuck: But the regular litter we used to use was irritating their feet, so we had to switch.

Is this normal? Two or three times a day? And should they smell so horrible? And could a hairball be contributing to the bowel movements? This cat has a perpetual hairball, no matter how many times he's given Laxatone or brushed. And so he throws up at least once a week, if not more.

These cats and their digestive systems! It's driving me up a wall! They're 7 years old, and for 7 years they've both had screwy bowel movements and hairball barfing issues. :wall::wall: They see their vet regularly and he never sees anything unusual. We've switched foods numerous times, and nothing has ever really made a difference; they LOVE both their wet and dry foods, and I don't see how their food could be hurting them, since it seems to be high quality food (please correct me on this if I'm wrong, I don't want to feed them anything awful).

Can cats just have weird permanent digestive issues? They were sickly kittens (rescues, they were bottle fed from day 2 or so), and now they seem to be healthy adult kitties, save for digestive issues.

Help. :cat:

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
You are feeding a couple of pretty "rich" foods. Fish based foods are not necessarily the healthiest food to be feeding your cats. Have you tried Wellness, Natural Balance, Nature's Instinct, and grain and corn free foods that are not fish based. Also, eliminating the dry food all together may help. Cats need their water with their food, not beside it. You could also try a raw diet.
Have you looked at this site? It gives tons of good information on feeding your cat.
www.catinfo.org
Some cats do have 2 to 3 bowel movements a day. Normally the worse their diet is the more they defecate. That is because the food is going straight through them. They are not absorbing any of the good nutrients. You will find if you get them on better diets they will probably be visiting the litter box less.
I personally do not like World's Best Cat Litter. I find it does not cover smells at all. With five kitties in the house and the boxes being in my kitchen I need something that covers the smell. I use Swheat Scoop. A good friend of mine recommended it. It does track a little but you can get those little mats to put in front of the boxes that help remove any litter from the feet as the cat comes out of the box.

sugarcatmom
November 3rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Have you ever tried feeding just wet food? Any interest in trying a raw diet? Kibble, even the most expensive grain-free varieties, are not an appropriate food for cats and may be contributing to the poop issues. The other thing I'd recommend is limiting or even eliminating fish-based foods from their diet. They are a frequent cause of allergies, as well as being a source of toxins like mercury. Here's some more info on feline nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

Oh, and although every cat is different, generally about 1 poop a day is normal, give or take. Very stinky poops are definitely not normal though. Perhaps your cat would benefit from some probiotics (capsules from a health food store) to help rebalance his intestinal flora.

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
:laughing: Sorry SCM. Posted about the same time.

sugarcatmom
November 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ha ha, 14+ beat me to it this time. :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
November 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
And again!! :laughing:

MissPurryJess
November 3rd, 2009, 04:36 PM
14+ and sugarcatmom - thank you for the quick and detailed responses!

I never considered the fact that the salmon diet was pretty rich - I kept hearing about "good fats" so I thought salmon would be a good choice. Would you recommend a poultry based wet food instead? They used to eat Natural Balance wet food (venison), but I found plastic inside the canned food - not once - twice - so we switched from that wet formula. But gradually switching them to a less rich non-fish wet food is definitely doable. They won't eat the pâté wet foods - they prefer chunky food that looks like actual food, as opposed to the pastier varieties. If you have any particular suggestions I'd be appreciative. :) Our pet food supplier carries every "natural" and healthy brand I've ever heard of, and they'll order something if I want it, so I've got a good resource there. I've done some reading on kitty diets - like a lot of people, I freaked out during the whole grain fiasco a few years ago, and switched them from Science Diet to grain-free and canned food. But thank you for the link as it has some great, explicit info that I needed.

As far as them eating dry food - I've tried removing it in the past, but always end up letting them have a little bit. At the moment I'm home in the morning/evening so I can feed them exclusively wet food, so now is probably a good time to attempt this transition.

I tried a raw diet in the past, but they really didn't like it. I'd prefer to stick to a canned diet.

Re: their litter - it's awful. I hate World's Best. My husband just bought a huge bag of it today (as well as another box of their wet food :laughing: luckily the store will let us return/exchange any unopened cans so I can go back and get what I want), so I'm stuck with it for a while. With the Swheat - would you just mix it in gradually? Do you find it covers more odors? We tried Feline Pine in the past and it was a disaster. :laughing: But the store we go to has all of the "alternative" litters, so again, I can pick what I want.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for the advice. I seriously don't know what I'd do without this forum. :lovestruck:

sugarcatmom
November 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
They won't eat the pâté wet foods - they prefer chunky food that looks like actual food, as opposed to the pastier varieties.

My kitty is the opposite, he won't eat the chunks, but likes paté, so I've developed a technique for figuring out which is which if it isn't otherwise obvious. I shake the can. It's not foolproof, but generally if a can sounds sloshy and juicy, it tends to be a chunkier variety, but if it either makes no sound or is more of a thud, then it's paté. Some brands/flavours that I know are chunky would be Halo's Spot Stew (http://shop.halopets.com/Canned-Cat-Food;jsessionid=0a0110501f43c98cfd1926794d3fbb3dcd f7f96b7b85.e3eSc3aPaxmLe34Pa38Ta38Lc3j0) (which actually looks like stew!), some of the Merrick (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_cat_food.php) flavours (can't remember specifically which ones, but do the shake comparison), Avoderm (http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_products/avoderm_selecutcan.htm), Nature's Variety Homestyle (http://www.naturesvariety.com/prairie_cat_can) (and I think Prairie as well - neither are grain-free but they're fine in rotation with other foods), and Wellness Healthy Indulgence (http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/cat_wellness_pouches_index.html) pouch food. I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting, but that should be a good place to start.

Let us know how it goes.

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
With the litter a gradual change is probably the best. The cats are used to the feel of their litter under their feet. A sudden change might throw them off. I have tried Feline Pine as well. I didn't mind it but the kitties weren't sure about walking in something that soft. Swheat Scoop is shaped more like traditional litter so will not be as difficult to change over.
It is a little pricey to start but it lasts for a long time. I buy the largest bag available for $35 here but it lasts for almost six weeks. So broken down it's a great buy!!

MissPurryJess
November 3rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
sugarcatmom - Thank you so much for the food suggestions. I'm going to check out those brands tomorrow. :)

14+ - I'll check out the Swheat Scoop tomorrow as well. I'm so over the World's Best - it's awful. I have yellow paw prints on my clean (well it was clean :frustrated:) dining room floor. My girl kitty had corn dust on her nose this evening. So hopefully with a slow, gradual change these guys will adapt to another brand. Daisy Mae (girl kitty) has some weird bathroom habits - hopefully she's a good sport! :fingerscr:

The kitties want to thank you for helping me. This is Fitzy, and his tortie sister Daisy Mae. :lovestruck:

growler~GateKeeper
November 4th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Re: their litter - it's awful. I hate World's Best. My husband just bought a huge bag of it today (as well as another box of their wet food :laughing: luckily the store will let us return/exchange any unopened cans so I can go back and get what I want), so I'm stuck with it for a while. With the Swheat - would you just mix it in gradually? Do you find it covers more odors? We tried Feline Pine in the past and it was a disaster. :laughing: But the store we go to has all of the "alternative" litters, so again, I can pick what I want.

A great tip on switching cat litters is clean the box out completely, pour in 1/3 - 1/2 the amount you usually fill of the new litter, top up the other 2/3 - 1/2 with the old litter, this way when the cat goes to the box the litter still smells the same, still feels the same & they mix it slowly when they cover their deposits so it's not a big shock to them.

I've not used either Worlds Best or Feline Pine, I tried the Swheat but my girl refused to go in it & did attempt to eat it :yuck: I also didn't like the wet doughy smell :shrug:
I use Feline Fresh Pellets (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/feline.htm) :thumbs up

This is Fitzy, and his tortie sister Daisy Mae. :lovestruck:

Awww Daisy Mae looks like my Duffy :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Your little ones are adorable.

Lots of great advice, I don't have much to add. I use Swheat Scoop and am pretty pleased with it over all. My gang like it too, so that's a plus.

I feed my gang Innova Evo venison wet, and once in a great while I will give them some fish, but that's not often. My two black kitties, Vlad and Oksana get really itchy if I give it to them to regularly.

MissPurryJess
November 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
So I went to the store today and I'm attaching a picture of what I bought. I bought some Merrick, some AvoDerm, Weruva (http://www.weruva.com/), and Spot's Stew. I had the store owner show me which foods were chunky and which were pâté, so I only bought chunky options. I avoided most of the seafood flavors - I've never been comfy with feeding them tuna (because of the high mercury content), so I focused on chicken, duck, that sort of thing. My husband and I don't really eat meat - I know it's what my babies need so I'll feed it to them, but it's difficult to read the ingredients because I'd never eat it myself! :o

Anyone have any experience with Weruva (http://www.weruva.com/)? They had so many grain-free options. I didn't see any info on Janet and Binky's chart, though. Speaking of which, after reading parts of her website and the catinfo.org website - I think my head is going to explode. :crazy:

Feedback is greatly appreciated - I'd love to know what you guys think of these brands/flavors. As far as feedback from my kitties - I just gave them a few spoonfuls of the AvoDerm chicken chunks flavor, and they're wolfing it down. :D

My plan at the moment is to give them each a serving of wet food in the morning and another in the evening, and portion out a very small amount of their dry food for them to eat during the day, while we transition to a mainly-wet diet. If they ask for food during the day (and they probably will), I figured I'd give them a few spoonfuls of wet food to try to get them even more used to it.

As far as the Swheat Scoop - they only had the huge bags, so I'm going to check out some pet stores in our area (I drive 15 miles to our pet food store :laughing:) to see if they have smaller bags. They didn't have Feline Fresh Pine; the owner offered to order it for me, but I'm going to see if I can find it in some local stores.

*hopefully moving in the right direction* ...... :cat:

sugarcatmom
November 4th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Good choices! I haven't personally fed Weruva because it isn't available in my area, but I have heard good things about it. They use quality (human grade) meat sources, at least.

Your plan sounds good. You can also leave some wet food out for them if you want (and if they don't gobble it all up at once). My cat is a nibbler (tried converting him to meals when he got diabetes, but he was having none of it), so I just put a full can (3oz size) down for him twice a day and he eats it over several hours. It doesn't go "bad" like you'd think it would, although it can get a little crusty (I add extra water to slow that down).

MissPurryJess
November 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Good choices! I haven't personally fed Weruva because it isn't available in my area, but I have heard good things about it. They use quality (human grade) meat sources, at least.

Your plan sounds good. You can also leave some wet food out for them if you want (and if they don't gobble it all up at once). My cat is a nibbler (tried converting him to meals when he got diabetes, but he was having none of it), so I just put a full can (3oz size) down for him twice a day and he eats it over several hours. It doesn't go "bad" like you'd think it would, although it can get a little crusty (I add extra water to slow that down).

My kitties are weird - sometimes they'll nibble, other times they'll wolf all of their wet food down at once, walk away, and promptly vomit. :rolleyes: But since I'm freelancing from home at the moment, I can give them little bites during the day if they're hungry.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if this helps their digestion. Fingers crossed! :fingerscr:

14+kitties
November 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Those look like great choices! I wish some of them were available here. My guys don't like some of the Merricks. Spoiled brats!! But if you can get yours eating a variety of foods when they are young they should continue to eat them well.
They are both so cute too btw! :cloud9:

MissPurryJess
November 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Those look like great choices! I wish some of them were available here. My guys don't like some of the Merricks. Spoiled brats!! But if you can get yours eating a variety of foods when they are young they should continue to eat them well.
They are both so cute too btw! :cloud9:

If you guys ever want a specific can of food to try out (so you could order it online later or something), let me know and I'll pick it up when I go to the pet food store and I can send it to you. They have everything - like, everything! They have a bunch of organic options, but they were all pâté varieties.

And thank you - I think they're cute, too! And they're 7 years old (although they were about 3 or 4 in those photos), so I keep telling them they're in the prime of their lives. :p

ETA: Exactly how much wet food should they be eating per day? They weigh about 10 lbs each. This is an issue because if they eat more than a few Tbsp at once they vomit. Oy!

MissPurryJess
November 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Okay - updates, and a few more questions.

First of all, the kids are LOVING the new wet food! I did a really drastic switch (which I know is inadvisable but they'd been okay with it in the past), just taking away their salmon and going straight to the Weruva canned chicken (grain free) varieties and AvoDerm chicken. I've reduced their dry food to about 1/3 cup per day per kitty. Basically I take 1/3 cup and split it between 2 bowls, and I do this twice a day. The idea is to transition to once a day, and then possibly take it all away. So that's what's been going on Chez Daisy Fitzy.

My question: Is this a complete, nutritious diet? I've decided to stick to AvoDerm grain free canned chicken and Weruva grain free canned chicken varieties. Is it okay to have variety? Or should I stick to one brand or food? And as far as weight loss/management - should I expect to see them lose a little bit of weight on the new diet? Do cats ever gain weight on a canned-only diet? I'm worried about weight gain - they each weigh about 9-10 lbs, but each could stand to lose a pound. Don't tell them I said that. ;)

They're eating about 2.5-4 oz. per day, each, of the wet. They don't seem to want more - whenever they ask for it, I give them a spoonful of wet.

I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment - I'm being a bit neurotic. :clown:

MissPurryJess
November 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Problems have arisen! Ugh. :sad:

So I did the switch too drastically - I know that now. Why I did this? I don't know. I know better. :shrug: So.....I'm going to go back to what they had, and then do a gradual switch.

Fitzy: has diarrhea.
Daisy: has normal stools for the first time in years.

Both of them are urinating like crazy - is this normal? Should I be concerned? They're urinating about 50% more than before. My husband said it's enough to be noticeable, but not alarming - but I'm still concerned. When you switch over to a wet food diet, do they start urinating more because of all the moisture?

Ugh, all I want is for the little buggers to be healthy and happy. Now one is and one is having tummy trouble.

:crazy:

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
My question: Is this a complete, nutritious diet?

It is. You could also augment with some fresh meat now and then (not more than 10-20% of their diet unless you balance it with a calcium source).

Is it okay to have variety? Or should I stick to one brand or food?

I personally prefer feeding a variety of brands, for a couple of reasons - you're not putting all your eggs in one basket, so if a particular food has "issues" (like, say a recall, or it goes out of production or becomes hard to find), then you have other options. It also might cover more bases nutritionally, like if one food is lower or higher in a particular vitamin for instance, then other brands could help even things out. And lastly, if a cat eats the same thing all the time, it may make it difficult to change to something else if the need arises.

Now this also depends on how willing and able your cats are to change. I switch brands and flavours for every meal for my kitty, but his digestive system can handle it. Some people change foods daily, some weekly, some every month, doing a more gradual transition between products. You'll have to find out what works best for your cats.

And as far as weight loss/management - should I expect to see them lose a little bit of weight on the new diet? Do cats ever gain weight on a canned-only diet?

It ultimately comes down to the amount of calories ingested. Usually cats lose a bit of weight on canned because they're more satiated with the higher protein levels, the food isn't as calorie-dense, and there isn't the high amount of carbohydrates which is more readily stored as fat. But it's also possible to gain weight if a cat is coo coo for cocoa puffs and eats considerably more wet food calories than it was eating of kibble.

So I did the switch too drastically - I know that now. Why I did this? I don't know. I know better.

I've always done a sudden switch without any resulting digestive issues in my guys, so this is one of those "every cat is different" things. Now that you know Fitzy is a little more "delicate", you can be more cautious and plan ahead. I'd recommend picking up some probiotic capsules from a health food store and mixing a pinch in with his food. That should help rebalance the intestinal flora that is sometimes thrown off by a food change. Also some slippery elm bark powder for a few days can help him get past the mushy poo period.

Daisy: has normal stools for the first time in years.

Yahoo! I'm sure Fitzy's will return to normal soon too.

Both of them are urinating like crazy - is this normal?

It is absolutely normal and desirable that they would be urinating more on a wet food diet. Roughly how many times a day do they pee, can you tell? Typical is about 2-4x. If it's much more than that, you might want to keep an eye on it. Do they drink any extra water? My cat, even though he's diabetic, very rarely drinks water from a bowl. He gets all his moisture from the food and pees an average of 3x/day.

MissPurryJess
November 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Whew! Okay, so we've been continuing the new diet over here, and things are going relatively well.

The kids are eating Weruva Paw Lickin' Chicken (http://www.amazon.com/Weruva-Lickin-2510-Chicken-Ounce-Cans/dp/B001TM70V0), and sometimes I mix in a bit of Avoderm Chicken Chunks (http://www.breeders-choice.com/cat_products/avoderm_selecutcan.htm) (or sometimes a taste of their old food, the Tiki Cat Wild Salmon in Salmon Consomme (http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Cat-Hanalei-Salmon-Consomme/dp/B002C1ZNXY), but only until we've finished the cans we have here). They LOVE it. Like they beg for it all day long. And I give them little bits all day long - these are "scarf and barf" kitties, so I have to give it to them in small amounts until they get used to this because they get too excited and barf it up if I give them normal amounts. They're still getting about 1/6 cup of dry food each per day, it's a mix of Now! Senior Grain Free Formula (http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=165) and Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck Formula (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/DuckCat.html).

And the kitties - Daisy is doing great, her stools have softened up (they were always pretty hard), but Fitzy is still having loose stools now and then. :sad: He's still having about 2 bowel movements a day, so I'm not sure what I can do to help his little digestive system. He's also kind of a gassy kitty. :o I still need to buy them some probiotics - I'm just not sure what kind to get. They're both urinating about 3 times a day. Oh, and we switched to Swheat Scoop, it's much better than the "World's Best"! I still want to try that pine one sugarcatmom suggested, so I may order some the next time I'm in the store.

So my big question now: How much do they need to eat? They each weigh about 10 lbs or so, they're 7 years old, and they're indoor and moderately active. Their food comes in 5.5 oz cans, and I think they're sharing a total of 2 cans per day at the moment. Is this enough food? I can't seem to reach a balance with them - they're ALWAYS begging for food! I feed them when they ask, so I hope they're not going hungry, but I'm worried they're not eating enough or eating too much. And because I'm neurotic and insane :crazy: I'm always looking at them and wondering if they've gained weight. I'm concerned about that as they get older.

Anyway, thank you guys again for all the help - now I just need to figure out amounts.

billmargaret098
November 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
here is an interesting video about cat's health and wellness from Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com/videos/petfinder-cats-health-and-wellness.html)

sugarcatmom
November 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I still need to buy them some probiotics - I'm just not sure what kind to get.

Natural Factor's Ultimate Multi (http://www.naturesnutrition.com/SKU/31847.htm) is one that I like, although there are other similar products available if you can't find that one. Look for something with a high potency (billions of organisms), a variety of different types of organisms, and a minimal amount of dairy.

So my big question now: How much do they need to eat? They each weigh about 10 lbs or so, they're 7 years old, and they're indoor and moderately active. Their food comes in 5.5 oz cans, and I think they're sharing a total of 2 cans per day at the moment. Is this enough food?

That sounds about right. If they're acting really really hungry still, maybe you could give them a tad more. Can you weigh them every few weeks at the vet to see if they're maintaining their weight? That would be the best way to know they're getting the proper amount of food.

MissPurryJess
December 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks sugarcatmom. I didn't see that brand yesterday at the pet food place, and the highest "potency" they had was 1 billion, not 12 billion. My husband wants me to ask our vet before I start them on the probiotics, so I think I'll do that later today. The food quantities are kind of working themselves out, I just feed them when they're hungry, and we're holding strong at about 2 cans total per day. I can't weigh them at the vet regularly (they're too far away), but I'm tempted to get a little baby scale.

I'm actually getting more worried about Fitzy - he went from having 3 bowel movements a day to having one diarrhea movement, a tiny one, once a day. And they're awful - really foul, not the right color. :sad: This is so frustrating!!! :yell: No matter what I feed them, his little stomach is ALWAYS messed up. :wall:

Daisy has to go in for her teeth cleaning (which I'm freaking out about anyway), so I guess I'll just take him in and have them do cultures on his poo and such.

I don't think they've EVER had normal movements - their entire lives! If one gets regular the other has issues. I wonder if it's from being sickly bottle fed babies - they were so sick when I adopted them as kittens.

MissPurryJess
March 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm bumping this thread - I'm seriously at the end of my rope. :wall: The kids decided they didn't like the Weruva Paw Licken' Chicken anymore, so now they're eating AvoDerm chicken. They love it - they both beg for it and there's only been ONE vomiting incident in weeks (Fitz ate too much too quickly). And for a while Fitzy's stools were a mess, just total diarrhea, but I figured I'd give it a week or so and see if things improved, and they did, in the sense that he only had one bowel movement a day. Well we're back to square one again - he's having 3 bowel movements a day and they're awful. Not diarrhea, but far too soft and really, really stinky.

I've been putting off trying probiotics since things seemed like they were getting better on their own, but now I'm thinking it's my last option. I wish I knew WHAT was making him like this - but no matter what I feed him, it happens. Daisy's digestion is the best it's ever been, and she looks/feels great, and now it's just Fitzy that's throwing a wrench in the works.

Any thoughts? I just realized I wrote a detailed thread about my pets' poop. :eeew: Could he be allergic to something? We've tried venison, chicken, salmon, turkey, etc. My vet is of the "Science Diet allergy food" mentality, so he's not very helpful.

Help (again)!

Love4himies
March 3rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
It is quite possible that this does stem from them being bottle fed as kittens. They are born with immature digestive systems and of course momma's milk is perfect for digestion and development. Of course, it is not always possible to have a momma to nurse kittens.

Jasper too had horrible digestive problems :yuck: when I first got him and will continue to have "episodes" every once in a while, I have a large house and you knew when he used the litter box :yuck: and it was diarrhea. He can't tolerate any food with corn/wheat/grains/high carbs (all kibble) in it. He does very, very well on Wellness, grainfree canned, but found Puddles would be on/off the food too often so I switched to Nature's Variety, Instinct/homemade raw. I know this is a pate and that your cat's DON'T prefer, however, cats can learn to eat different textures and perhaps your cats require a diet that is easiest for them to digest which is a high meat one :shrug:. If the varieties that work with your cat's digestive system are pate perhaps you can train them to eat it :shrug:.

I also found the canned/raw diet works wonders in controlling shedding too, which is an added bonus :thumbs up, especially when a himalayan is involved :laughing:.

I found that slippery elm bark sprinkled on Jasper's food when he has an "episode" works really well for him.

MissPurryJess
April 13th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Jasper too had horrible digestive problems :yuck: when I first got him and will continue to have "episodes" every once in a while, I have a large house and you knew when he used the litter box :yuck: and it was diarrhea.

It's the same over here - you KNOW when someone has used the box!

He can't tolerate any food with corn/wheat/grains/high carbs (all kibble) in it. He does very, very well on Wellness, grainfree canned, but found Puddles would be on/off the food too often so I switched to Nature's Variety, Instinct/homemade raw. I know this is a pate and that your cat's DON'T prefer, however, cats can learn to eat different textures and perhaps your cats require a diet that is easiest for them to digest which is a high meat one :shrug:. If the varieties that work with your cat's digestive system are pate perhaps you can train them to eat it :shrug:.

The kids are eating AvoDerm chicken right now, which is grain free, and they still get a few Tbsp of dry food per day, which is all grain-free. I don't even know what to think anymore - last week they were doing so well! Both of them! And then all of a sudden - WHAM. They both had horrible diarrhea! We think it's the shipment of AvoDerm we bought! When we stopped giving them cans from that particular box, they were fine again. :frustrated::mad:I'm so mad at AvoDerm! I'm going to call them today and ask them to replace the cans.

I've also decided it would be a good idea to have their fecal samples tested - just to be sure they don't have some weird tummy bug. Now I just have to catch them "in the act", collect it, and turn it over to the vet. :yuck: But I do think these guys just have messy digestive systems, it's so frustrating.

I also found the canned/raw diet works wonders in controlling shedding too, which is an added bonus :thumbs up, especially when a himalayan is involved :laughing:.

I found that slippery elm bark sprinkled on Jasper's food when he has an "episode" works really well for him.

Thank you for your insight - hopefully we'll continue on a good streak with this new box of AvoDerm. BTW, if you have any more shedding advice - I'm all ears! My guys are shedding enough hair in one day to make another whole cat. It's insane! We use a Furminator brush and that seems to help with the whole shedding/hairball situation, but it's still like tumbleweeds of hair around here.

MissPurryJess
April 16th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I got the results back from their fecal sample tests - they're negative for all parasites, giardia, worms, etc. I'm going to ask for a print-out to be mailed to me, because I'm not 100% sure exactly what else they tested for, but in any case the samples came back clear. Which means it's MY fault. :(

My husband is convinced that Fitzy is allergic to chicken. So I guess the only logical next step is to look for a good wet food w/out any chicken products in it. I found a few, one by Instinct by Nature's Variety (http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can). They have lamb, duck, and venison versions none of which have any chicken in them. Anyone have any experience with that brand? Or any others they'd suggest? So far he's had trouble with chicken formulas and salmon or fish formulas, so I guess I need to stick to venison and lamb.

I'm a vegetarian - I know the kitties need a meat diet and of course I'd do whatever I needed to do to feed my babies, but reading the nutrition info is always a bit :( for me.

I'm losing my mind a little bit. :crazy:

We're trying these first:

Innova Evo 95% Duck (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1663)
Innova Evo 95% Venison (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1665)

They just devoured the duck. Now they're both in that post-dinner happiness, washing their faces and finding a good spot to curl up for the evening with us. Fingers crossed. If for some reason the Evo doesn't work, we bought these:

in duck, lamb, and venison (http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can)

I feel like such a bad mama! If all this time it was Fitzy having an allergy to the chicken - blah. It's a good thing I only have furry children!