Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think Oksana is constipated

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
I was cleaning the upstairs litter earlier and Oksana got in. I heard her pee, but she sat there crouched for a good long while. I sort of thought she might have been trying to poop, but nothing happaned. Then she did the same when I came downstairs to clean the bottom boxes. Just now I saw her in the kitchen litter box, just crouching like she wanted to poop but nothing was coming out.

Is butternut squash or pumpkin the thing to give her? Their usual vet is on this week, so I may make an appointment for her on Friday, in case maybe she's got something going on.

sugarcatmom
November 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Do you have any low-sodium canned salmon? Aztec has occasional bouts of constipation and I find the juice from a can of salmon helps (you can mix it with a bit of warm water).

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
No, I don't have any. I can certainly get some tomorrow. I'll have to go to Whole Foods, because I know my regular market doesn't have low sodium. Would yogurt help as well?

sugarcatmom
November 2nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
Would yogurt help as well?

I doubt it would hurt, but I can't say whether it would help or not. If you know Oksana has no dairy issues, you could offer small amounts and see what happens. Plain goat yogurt can sometimes be better tolerated than cow.

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
I'm going to call in to the vet to see if I can get her in this evening. I woke up and found some brown watery stuff with little pellets on the bathroom floor. Then she was sitting in the litter again with just watery stuff coming out. I have to call after 7.

She's acting normally otherwise. She had breakfast, came upstairs, hung out like she does every morning. So, I'm not worried about anything other than some maybe tummy or poopy issues. Hopefully, that's all it is.

I did have to mix their food last week with some Fancy Feast, because I didn't have enough until I got paid. So, I'm thinking maybe that caused something screwy in her belly.

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
:fingerscr Oskana feels better real soon. It sucks when our babies don't feel well.

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks 14+. I thought about bringing her with me to work, but that would just be more stress for her. I hate seeing her just sitting there in the litter and knowing nothing is going on. She went like 3 times before I left and really didn't do anything.

I got an appointment for her tonight at 7pm, and I'm going to try and leave early so I can see how she's doing. Thankfully their usual vet is on this week.

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Awwwww, poor Oksana :grouphug:. I don't have any suggestions for you, either, because usually I have the opposite problem.

Sending some :goodvibes: for her.

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks L4H. I hate being at work knowing she's not feeling well. Not that I'd be able to do much for her if I was home, but at least I'd be there.

krdahmer
November 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Oh I hope her tummy is ok. :goodvibes:

Windy has a very sensitive belly, every time I make a slight change to the food she gets gas and the runs... maybe Oksana's belly didn't like the FF...:shrug:

I bought this probiotic shake stuff you put on their food that is supposed to help with digestive issues too, seemed to help Windy during food changes. I think it was made by Eagle Pack holistic.

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
I'm hoping that's just what it is. I was giving them some probiotics, but I ran out and just didn't have the $ to get more. I should though, I don't like seeing any of them like this.

diandpat
November 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Aw, poor Oksana :sad: Hopefully there will be a quick and easy fix and she will be back to normal soon :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Aw, poor Oksana :sad: Hopefully there will be a quick and easy fix and she will be back to normal soon :goodvibes:

I hope so too. It's so frustrating not being able to just ask them what they are feeling. :sad:

ancientgirl
November 3rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
I just got back from the vet. Right now, we're treating her for a UTI. I got some antibiotics to give her once a day for 7 days. Man, it's hard giving her meds. I had to grind the pill mix it with water and use a syringe. I got most of it on myself, but I managed to get a little in her.

If she's not better by Thursday, I take her back so they can do a urinalysis. Hopefully she'll be better by tomorrow.:pray:

diandpat
November 4th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Aw AG I hope she will be better too :fingerscr Have you got them back on their regular food too? Hopefully that will make a difference.

Good luck and keep us posted :goodvibes:

rainbow
November 4th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Aww, poor Oksana. :grouphug:

I hope the antibiotics help and she's back to her normal self again quickly. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I gave her medication this morning, no easy feat! I did manage to give her a good bit of it, so I'm hoping it will begin working and she'll be better by the time I get home.

I made an appointment for her tomorrow, because the vet said we can also do a urinalysis. I'm going to call and see how much it is. I hate that I have to look at the $$, but if it's too much, I may have to wait until next week when I get paid.

I'm also going to start watering down her food a bit more as well as start looking around for some supplement I can add to their food to help with urinary tract.

Love4himies
November 4th, 2009, 09:19 AM
OK so I am confused, was she trying to poop or pee :confused:.

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Pee. I was thinking at first she was constipated, because she kept going into the litter. Then I realized she was crouched in her peeing position, and not trying to poop. And when she would go into the litter, she just trickles.

I just hung up with the vets office. I'm going to drop her off tomorrow morning, so they can get a sample of her pee and then do a urinalysis. Thankfully it's not as much as I thought, so I'm just going to have it done so I can be sure she doesn't have anything serious. I had already made an appointment for tomorrow evening for her, so I can pick her up then and talk to her vet.

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2009, 10:45 AM
:goodvibes: for Oksana! :fingerscr the meds will get her back on track.

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Hazel. I hate seeing her constantly going into the litter box. She doesn't show it, but I imagine she must be feeling discomfort. :sad:

friend2animals
November 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hi ancientgirl,

I don't know if this will help, but, I have given my dog mashed up - all natural (NO salt, sugar, butters, oils, grains, etc), pumpkin/squash mixed in with her regular food. Not only does she love the taste, but it seems to help with her bowl elimination.

I couldn't say for certain whether this will help your kitty, but it might be a gentler, tastier alternative to other colonics...

Good Luck!:thumbs up

PS. Psyillium (on its own), is another product that is intended to aid in relieving constipation. You should be able to find this at a health food store:fingerscr

rainbow
November 4th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Good luck with the urinalysis ...hope it's nothing serious. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Friend2animals - thanks for the tip. She didn't turn out to be constipated though. We think she's got a UTI, so she's on meds now.

Rainbow - Thanks. I hope it's nothing serious either. Just one of those things that happen.

Of all my cats, Oksana is the one I can say I really never see drinking water. Czarina I see all the time, she drinks like a fish. She loves water. Maks and Kiska I also see now and then at the water bowl. Vlad will drink now and then from the sink, but I can't even remember the last time I saw Oksana drink water.

14+kitties
November 4th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Poor Oskana. Let's hope the meds kick in quickly. :fingerscr:goodvibes:
After I pill a kitty I take a syringe filled with water and dribble a bit in the side of their mouth. Not a lot but enough to help the pill go down. I wonder if you could do that with Oskana on a regular basis to make sure she has some fluids. :shrug:

Love4himies
November 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
You should see a difference in her in just a day of being on the antibiotics.

Good luck with the urinalysis.:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
So I get home, and getting their dinner ready, and she goes into the litter box again. I turn around and noticed she did a little trickle, and the litter looks pink! I'm taking her to the vet tonight. I called them and her vet gets in at 6:30, and the girl at the desk said she'd get me in.

I'm so scared she's got something terrible. The only thing that's keeping me from going crazy is she's eating well and acting her usual self. :sad:

Love4himies
November 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Yes, take her to the vet right away, just incase it is a blockage.

Good luck :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
What kind of blockage could it be?

chico2
November 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Aww AG,so sorry,hopefully Oksana will be fine.
I could be wrong,but isn't it common a cat has blood in the urine if she has UTI:confused:
I think 14+suggestion is a good one,if Oksana does not drink water.
Good Luck tonight,I'll be thinking of you and the little girlie:grouphug:

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I just read this:

Blockages can lead to kidney failure

Most cats brought to the vet for FLUTD do not yet have blockages. However, it's important to act quickly when you see any of these signs, because if a blockage does occur, the backup of urine toxins and pressure can lead to kidney failure and death in as little as 24 hours.

I'm terrified right now. I'm leaving for the vet. Please wish us luck everyone.:pray::pray::pray::pray:

diandpat
November 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: AG, hopefully it is still just from the UTI and another full day or two of antibiotics will get her back to normal :fingerscr

Love4himies
November 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I didn't mean to panic you, AG :grouphug:, sorry. Any time a cat can't pee, to me is an emergency. It could be an infection too.

sugarcatmom
November 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
It's pretty rare for a female cat to get blocked, although not impossible. More likely, the blood is related to the inflammation, as is her straining to pee. But it's always better to be safe, so for sure at least call the vet. Maybe ask them about some painkillers as well (although not Metacam!!).

Hoping Oksana is back to peeing normally very soon! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I took her in, and left her so they can get a sample from her. The vet said she'd call me in a couple of hours so I can pick her up.

She told me her bladder was tiny, so they had to give her some fluids.

While I was there waiting some woman had her cat there who was diagnosed with kidney failure last year. So of course, me being the ocd worry wart, I'm thinking all sorts of things.

TeriM
November 4th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Good luck at the vets, hope Oksana feels better :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes:.

edwina
November 4th, 2009, 08:38 PM
:pray: that Oksana feels better soon :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM
:goodvibes: that they're able to get a good sample and diagnose what's ailing the poor dear! When do you expect to hear from them, AG?

ancientgirl
November 4th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I got back a little while ago. She has a very severe infection. The vet said she had a high elevation of white blood cells. I sort of blanked after that. I literally nearly fainted there. I'm so afraid for her.

The vet gave her a shot of some antibiotic and we're sending out bloodwork and urine to check on everything. The vet said we need to know what bacteria she has to make sure we're treating with the correct medication.

She also said it's as if she's had this building for a while and now it's just gotten so bad. How did I not see this? I haven't noticed anything off about her.

I just had to wash her down, she pooped all inside the carrier and had poop on her. Tomorrow I'm going to see if i can leave work early so I can take her back to the vet and they can pill her, because it's the only way I an be sure she's getting the entire medication. I'd like to stay home, but I think she'll be okay until I get home. Thankfully, the weekend is almost here so I'll be able to watch her better over the weekend, and hopefully we'll have the test results by Friday.:fingerscr

I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to her. Thanks for all of your support.

I'm going to see if she wants to come lay on the bed with me.

TeriM
November 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Awww, I'm so sorry she is sick. Don't beat yourself up, our pets are experts at hiding illnesses from us. I'm sure the antibiotics should help and she will be feeling better soon :goodvibes:.

:grouphug:

hazelrunpack
November 4th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I think kitties can be especially good at hiding when they're not feeling up to snuff, AG. So don't kick yourself :2huggers:

:goodvibes: for the antibiotics to have the lovely Oksana back on her paws in no time!

growler~GateKeeper
November 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
:goodvibes: for good test results & speedy healing

rainbow
November 5th, 2009, 12:33 AM
:pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: for Oksana and :grouphug: for you.

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the support. I hardly slept last night. I kept waking up and looking for her. I woke up and found several spots of poop around downstairs. It could have been her. Between the stress and the medication I don't doubt it.

I noticed her go into the litter once before I left home, and saw nothing after she used it. I'm hoping the meds will kick in soon. I'd like to leave early today so I can take her in and have them pill her at the vets office, because I just can't, and I need to be sure she takes that. I did manage to give her some clavomak this morning, no easy feat, but that's easier than the other. It's the pill that's the most important for her to get so that's why I don't want to chance not giving her the entire thing.

I've got to prevent this from happening to her again. I can't have her suffering and then getting as bad as this again. Knowing that this has been building up for a while has be concerned and wondering what I can do to keep it from happening again.

chico2
November 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
AG,I think you already do what you are supposed to do to prevent this from happening,good quality wet food etc...you are a wonderful responsible kitty-mom,but maybe there is another food :confused:
I know how you worry,as would I,but I:pray:the antibiotics will work wonders:fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks, Chico. You know, I'm wondering if maybe the EVO might be too high in protein. I called the vet office this morning, and they told me the wellness results might be in this evening, or at the latest tomorrow morning. So, hopefully by tomorrow evening I'll at least know if she's got any other issue, since the wellness is a lot broader. As for the culture, well that will take 7-14 days, depending of course on what she might have.

So, as of now, she's taking Orbax and Clavomax. :pray:

krdahmer
November 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Oh poor Oksana! She's got all our :pray::goodvibes: for a speedy recovery! And a big :2huggers: for her worried mom too!

ancientgirl
November 5th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but she's not been in the litter as much as she has been the last two days. I think the meds are kicking in. I do think she may have some pooping issues, but I know that's because of the antibiotics. I took her to the vet and they gave her her pill, and I was able to give her the Clavamox myself. :pray::pray::pray:

Thank you everyone for your support. I don't know what I'd do without you all.:grouphug:

Love4himies
November 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Clavamox worked on Puddles by the end of the first 24 hours she was on it.

Poor Oksana :grouphug:

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for a speedy recovery.

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Yes, it's always worked well fog my gang. She's already showing improvement, since she's not been going to her litterbox as much, and when she did go yesterday, she didn't just trickle.

Between that and the Orbax, I'm praying that will take care of whatever she has.

chico2
November 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
AG,I know how important our Forum is,personally I really do not have any friends who understand or can give advice,the way"our"people do here:cat:
Hoping for a quick recovery for little Oksana..

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Chico. That's a cute little photo.

Yes, I know if I come here concerned, or scared about something, people will understand. Everyone here feels the same way about their pets. My family and friends, they know my cats are important to me, but they see them as animals. And yes, they are animals, but they are so much more to me, and that's what most don't get.

14+kitties
November 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Good to hear that the meds are working so quickly! :thumbs up That is great. I know how important your gang is to you. All of us feel the same about ours... each and every one of the little beggars. :cloud9:
You know, checking the internet for information is a great thing. The only downfall is that it tends to scare the crap out of us as we see all the really bad stuff that can happen. Most times it isn't that bad. :grouphug: to you for being such a good mom!!

diandpat
November 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Way to go Oksana!!!! AG, hope she continues to be on the mend so that you can enjoy your weekend!!!! Hope the Wellness results are all good too :fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks 14+ & diandpat.

I'm going to start adding more water than I have to their food. I can't make it too soupy, they don't like it. But Oksana needs more liquid in her diet, as I think not enough water could have been a catalyst to this.

And yes, the internet can scare the crap out of you. I sometimes think, do I want to be this informed and wind up worrying and thinking the worst. But then I also think, I need to know what can happen, and if I can prevent it from happening. I don't want this to happen to her again, or any of the others. It's the main reason I feed them canned, to prevent UTI's and kidney issues.

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yay, for Oksana being better! :highfive:

:goodvibes:

Magicwildwolf69
November 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
i just saw this thread hope she feels better soon ag! it is so scary when our little ones are not feeling well. :grouphug: to you and Oksana and :goodvibes: for her to keep getting better. we all understand being scared for our kitties

rainbow
November 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I hope Oksana is continuing to do well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
She's been doing very well. Her wellness results are back, so now I just have to get the vet to call me and discuss it with me. Their vet works the all night shift at the clinic, so it's hard to get her, but I'm going to keep trying.

The Orbax and Clavomax look like they are doing their job.

Love4himies
November 7th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Why is she on two antibiotics??????

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
The vet told me since we didn't exactly know what sort of bacteria she has, she needed to be on the Orbax, which was a broader antibiotic, and the Clavomax was to help her get relief quicker.

I'm happy to see that she's at least had relief. I've still got to talk to the vet about her wellness results and I want to know what the progress of her culture is. Not to mention, I'm not wondering if maybe too high a protein diet may have contributed to this. I want to prevent this from happening again.

onster
November 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I am SO glad she is doing better. My cat Ty had a bladder infection once and we didnt notice until he started going out of the litter box and not pee but just droplets of blood! Dont feel bad, it happens to everyone. He too went on antibioticts, they had to keep him overnight to get a sample from his small bladder. In a few days he was back to his chirpy self :)

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm not wondering if maybe too high a protein diet may have contributed to this.

Nope. For one thing, the Innova isn't all that high in protein. It's quite high in fat, but the protein levels are actually less than what would be found in a mouse, so no worries there. Plus, there really isn't a correlation between meat-based (non-fish) dietary protein and UTIs anyway.

As for how to prevent a future occurrence, that could depend on what Oksana's lab results come up with. Urine ph can be a factor, and there are supplements that can help keep it within a more desirable range if Oksana is having trouble doing that on her own. Adding something like Cosequin, cornsilk or marshmallow root powder to help strengthen and sooth the lining of her bladder are other options. Stress can play a role for some cats as well (not saying that's the case here).

Ask for a copy of Oksana's lab results and we'll go from there.

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Everything was normal. Now we just have to wait for her culture to come back and see what kind of bacteria she had. The vet said food is not the issue, so that's good.

The antibiotics are doing their job and she's much better. I am going to get some supplements you suggested SCM. It can't hurt.

I'm just so happy her results came back normal.

rainbow
November 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Glad to hear your wee girl is doing better. :thumbs up

Surprised the vet said that food wasn't the issue ....they usually try to sell you the crap stuff. :rolleyes:

krdahmer
November 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
:thumbs up good news!:goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Glad to hear your wee girl is doing better. :thumbs up

Surprised the vet said that food wasn't the issue ....they usually try to sell you the crap stuff. :rolleyes:

Oh no, she's totally on board with what I'm feeding them. I love going to her because she's really open minded.

rainbow
November 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Oh no, she's totally on board with what I'm feeding them. I love going to her because she's really open minded.

I love vets like that ....mine is the same. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Yay for the good test results :highfive: I'm glad she's feeling better. :goodvibes:

chico2
November 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
A-G,great news for little Oksana,now you can relax again:thumbs up

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Yes, now that I know her wellness results came back with all normal readings I can relax. That's a very detailed test and they test for everything. I'd like to do the others one by one as well over the next few months. Luckily, it isn't super expensive, about $54 for the package, as opposed to $250 if you do each test individually.

Thankfully, we should have the results of her culture by the time their vet is on again, and I prefer talking to her, since she's their usual vet.

Linda Guay
March 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hi ancientgirl,

I don't know if this will help, but, I have given my dog mashed up - all natural (NO salt, sugar, butters, oils, grains, etc), pumpkin/squash mixed in with her regular food. Not only does she love the taste, but it seems to help with her bowl elimination.

I couldn't say for certain whether this will help your kitty, but it might be a gentler, tastier alternative to other colonics...

Good Luck!:thumbs up

PS. Psyillium (on its own), is another product that is intended to aid in relieving constipation. You should be able to find this at a health food store:fingerscr

I have a cat that is contipated and I have tried it all accept Psyillium.
He has been to the Vet and is on Meds for constipation, he has had several
enemas and nothing yet accept a little liquid. I guess prayers are the only
thing left. I have spoken to 2 Vets and one said that surgery is not always
100% successful and it is very expensive.Any other suggestions. I am
running out of kleenex from my tears.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2010, 12:53 PM
I have a cat that is contipated and I have tried it all accept Psyillium.
He has been to the Vet and is on Meds for constipation, he has had several
enemas and nothing yet accept a little liquid. I guess prayers are the only
thing left. I have spoken to 2 Vets and one said that surgery is not always
100% successful and it is very expensive.Any other suggestions. I am
running out of kleenex from my tears.

Welcome to the forum Linda. You will probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread of your own.
I am sure we can get you some kind of help. If you need help in starting a thread I would be glad to walk you through the steps. :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
I just pm'd scm. Hopefully she can give you some more pointers. :fingerscr

Linda Guay
March 23rd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Linda. You will probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread of your own.
I am sure we can get you some kind of help. If you need help in starting a thread I would be glad to walk you through the steps. :thumbs up

I will take you up on your offer. I am not a computer expert as you can see.
Whenever you are ready, I am too?

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ok. Actually, from this page at the top where the blue print is, click on Cat health forum. It will open that particular forum for you. Click on the "New Thread" button which you will find right under where it says Cat Health Forum and above where the threads start.
You will then have your new thread started where you can ask your questions. Make sure you add your title. When you are finished click submit at the bottom of the "page" you are working on and your thread will be there.
Hopefully that helps.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Ok, I posted the thread for you. Hopefully you can get some answers for your questions. Good luck.:thumbs up

Linda Guay
March 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
Thank you so much you are a life saver.
My cat Blue can hardly wait for some answers regarding his constipation

He is only 4 years old and is a social butterfly.
I am so attached to all my pets so when they get sick I go to pieces.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Thank you so much you are a life saver.
My cat Blue can hardly wait for some answers regarding his constipation

He is only 4 years old and is a social butterfly.
I am so attached to all my pets so when they get sick I go to pieces.

Linda - click on the link below. It will take you to the thread I started for you.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69139