Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Nutram

Freyja
August 23rd, 2004, 10:50 AM
I emailed Nutram to ask about(whether directly or indirectly) any testing of its cat and dog food products on live animals including, but not limited to, palatability studies, metabolic energy studies, allergy studies, or any disease-related or injury-related studies whatsoever? This is the response I received.

"Thank you for your email regarding our Nutram products. We are currently updating our website, and we will be including a "Policy on Animal Testing" in our information section.

We do not conduct animal testing on the nutrient values of each individual diet, rather we rely on the guidelines provided by the AAFCO (American Association of Feed Control Officials) and the NRC (National Research Council) nutritional requirements to formulate for each lifestage. We do have a contract facility that conducts palatability trials and digestibility trials when a formula change is considered. This facility is government accredited and inspected, as well as inspected by our own company to ensure they meet our standards for animal care and welfare. These types of trials are short in duration (2-5 days) and animals are housed in individual cages, with environmental enrichment, for only that time. When not included in a trial, animals are housed in groups. We do not conduct metabolic energy, allergy, disease or injury related studies. No surgical or medical procedures are needed for our testing.

I hope I have been able to address your concerns. Nutram is entirely Canadian owned and operated, and we are dedicated to providing quality products for pets. We always offer a 100% money-back guarantee, so if you need to return the product for any reason, there's no problem. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Melanie Sippel MSc.
Nutrition/Quality Control
Nutram Pet Products
1-800-477-5713 ext.229
melanies@nutramonline.com"