Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Allergic reaction in dog

RosieR
October 30th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site and am just looking for some advice. I have a female husky/lab cross who is a year and a half old. She has always had a bit of a sensitive stomach and throws up occasionally in the morning before she eats. 4 days ago she had a allergic reaction to something, I have no idea what. Her face was swollen, she threw up some bile and was uninterested in food. I gave her some benedryl, that took care of the swelling in her face and I just gave her water for the rest of the day. She had very runny yellowish/orange diarrhea later that day. Since then she has been eating only brown rice and chicken, she's hungry, eating well, has normal energy levels but is having loose, yellowish/orange stools with some mucus. I know, sounds disgusting... I'm just wondering if these are normal symptoms following an allergic reaction.
Sorry for the lengthy post...

joeysmama
October 31st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Rosie. Welcome to the site. I'm glad your pup seems to be feeling better but she DOES still have some distress doesn't she. I would definitely call the vet. I call my vet for everything and he's always great about it. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Dogs have a very strong survival instinct and will always try to hide their discomfort or pain.

It could be that your dog is just ready for a normal diet or it could be that she needs to be seen by the vet. Sometimes there's something else going on and a medication might be necessary.

Go ahead and call. No sense letting the poor thing be in pain, or even uncomfortable, if there's anything that can help her feel better.

Also...you might want to check out the forum that's a bit above this one. The PET HEALTH topic. If you post this in that forum it's more likely to be seen by someone who understands health issues. The doctors occasionally pop in there to answer questions as well.

Hope this helps. Come back and give us an update--maybe pictures of your pup? We LOVE pictures !!:thumbs up

rainbow
October 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Rosie and sorry to hear about your girl.

Yellow/orange stools with mucus is definitely not normal. Please take her to your vet asap with a stool sample.

Good luck and please post with an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes: