Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Runny goopy eyes...getting worse :(

diandpat
October 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Wow, I am getting to my wits end with this issue. Poor little soul, must be in such pain...no wonder he keeps picking fights with Zuzu

Rascal started getting sick 12 days ago and 11 days ago he went to the vet. She prescribed antibiotics and eye drops. Well his eyes got progressively worse and Zuzu started having eye goop too. When Zuzu went to the vet on Monday my regular vet took them off the Gentocin and put them on Chloramphenicol ointment twice a day. So basically since I have had this poor boy I keep stuffing stuff in his eyes that I am sure are already sore and they just seem to be getting worse and worse :yell::yell::yell:

I have both of them on L Lysine (500mg a day) and today have started Grapefruit seed extract hoping that something will get them over this hump. The vet said it could last a month...is this true????? OMG :frustrated:

Is there something I am missing? Does anyone have any experience with this? I will do whatever it takes...I just can't stand to see him suffering so :sad:

chico2
October 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Oh poor little Rascal poor you ,I think you got a little more than you bargained for:sad:
A long time ago I got a kitten from HS with the same problem,all I got for him was some sort of salve put put in his eyes,so,I am of no help to you.

With my cat,it ended up being a sinus problem,but I cannot remember how we cured him,it was such a long time ago,so,CALLING ALL CAT-GURUS,HELP LITTLE RASCAL:thumbs up

catlover2
October 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Has Rascal had shots for upper respiratory infections? Looks like he has something like that. Not only are his eyes running, but looks like his nose too?
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1348&aid=210

14+kitties
October 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Sure looks like he's suffering poor baby. What antibiotic is he on? Maybe it's not strong enough to do the job. SCM will probably pop in later. She knows more about meds than most vets do.
What colour is the stuff coming from his eyes? Clear or is it greenish/yellowish?
I've got :fingerscr:goodvibes::pray:ers all coming your way that he will get better soon.
And you are right. That is probably why he is attacking Zuzu. I thought he was feeling better.
:grouphug: to you mom. It's tough being a first time kitty mommy.

Frenchy
October 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
awww poor kitties and poor you ! Could those conditions be related to rhino ?

growler~GateKeeper
October 31st, 2009, 12:39 AM
If you want to try homeopathic eye drops you can use Oculoheel (http://www.heel.ca/pub/datasheet.jsp?product=50), I used this for my grrl's runny eye earlier this year on advice of my homeopath vet, 1 drop per eye 3 times a day for 5 days. Most health food/homeopathic stores should carry this.

:goodvibes: Rascal

diandpat
October 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you all for your helpful replies and good wishes too. I am sooooo farrrrr out of my element here :laughing:

Both Rascal and Zuzu were vaccinated on or about Oct 9 for Rhino, Calicivirus, and panleucopenia and were adopted Oct 13 from the SPCA where there are many cases of rhino. :sad:

From signs and symptoms it seems to be more rhino. Don't know if it was the grapefruit seed extract or just the virus running it's course but Rascals eyes seem somewhat better today. I left the humidifier on in his room last night too...read that somewhere.

I have no problem with sick animals...Ginger had KC when we adopted her, Hobo has had two major disc incidents with his back and Zuzu has a much milder form of the rhino going on. This poor soul looks pathetic and I was just wondering if I was missing something "obvious" that other cat people would be aware of. I am feeling much better about things today though the attacks on Zuzu are getting worse and one or the other is always in "isolation". I am hoping that that too will settle once everyone is feeling better :shrug:

Once again, thanks to all of you who responded...I mostly know dog people so am limited with my knowledge on how to deal. The various links provided by the people on this board have been a Godsend.

Happy Halloween all ;)

Winston
October 31st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Diandpat when they are feeling better try taking a little bit of baby powder on your hands and give them both a few rubs down with it. This way they will smell the same and it helps them get along better when they smell the same.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
October 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'm glad to hear he's feeling a bit better! He looks pretty miserable in the pics. :sad:

:goodvibes: for both Rascal and Zuzu getting better really soon!

chico2
November 1st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Diandpat,I am sure,once they feel better,they'll start getting along again.
I never doubted you would stick it out with the kitties,I might be naive,I just did not expect you to get sick kitties from a shelter.
But then again,they might have too many kitties to notice.:confused:

Rottielover
November 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
I really hope they are the mends. With Rhino cats can be carriers without showing signs until stress is there. Once stress comes into play, the virus shows it's ugly head. The same thing happened with sunset.
My 2 still argue, Missy is the laid back one who always runs away. My pair sound like yours.

lUvMyLaB<3
November 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
I agree with rottielover. It is probably viral, and antibiotics wont help. Try some natural meds to boost kitties imune system, keep him calm and resting lots, make sure he is always very well hydrated, even if you have to get sub-q fluids, saline helps if their nose gets stuffy. Poor kitty, good luck i hope he gets on the mend soon!

diandpat
November 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for your input and interest and concern.

Poor Rascal had an "episode" on Saturday night right before we were leaving to go out :sad: It consisted of him seemingly have trouble breathing and me repeating (all the while getting more and more anxious) "Please be a fur ball, please be a fur ball". It lasted somewhere between 25 and 40 seconds though it felt like forever. We waited for about 1/2 hr to see if he was OK and all seemed normal :shrug: Happened again yesterday as I was leaving for work and again when I got home :yell: We were at the vet at 11:30 this morning :p ...

The good news is it is NOT Aids, leukemia or pneumonia :thumbs up He does have indications of asthma (took xrays) but the vet feels it has been brought on my all that is happening and we have decided against steroid treatments for the moment. There is, of course too, a URI :sad: She has put him on Doxyciline for that and we are ceasing all applications to the eyes as there are no ulcers and they just seem to be getting worse instead of better despite two different meds so we both feel the meds are probably causing the problem :sad:

He is still in isolation in the extra bedroom. He has all he needs there and can even look out the window (Pat installed a shelf for him :lovestruck: ). He does not seem unhappy necessarily and is always quite happy when I come sleep with him at night :cloud9:

Still praying to get him over this hump...vet is very optimistic that we will get it under control and he will come out of it just fine. When he seems much healthier, we will try to reintroduce to Zuzu again...:fingerscr that that will be successful too.

So that's it...so far I am madly in love with these two munchkins but am looking forward to actually "enjoying" their company rather than being worried all the time :p

Again, thanks for all the great links, advice and good vibes. Means a lot :highfive:

14+kitties
November 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Poor Rascal. I hope he starts feeling better very very soon. He sure has been through the ringer. You are being a very good cat momma and doing everything you can to make sure he is getting over this hump. :grouphug:
I bet by the end of this week you will see a marked difference in his behaviour. At least I hope you will. :goodvibes::goodvibes:

Love4himies
November 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
I have to agree with Rottielover, cat's eyes can run due to stress and no meds will make it better. Moving to a home, then being carted off to the vet and being pilled could be enough for a kitty to have runny eyes. Puddles often gets runny eyes like that when she is very stressed.

I would also consider taking him off all cat food and try human raw meat for a few days (you may have to slightly warm it with hot water for him), that way he is getting the best diet for his immune system. For a couple of days I wouldn't worry about bones, if you feed him raw beef everyday he will get his taurine. You may also want to try a natural, vanilla yogurt that will provide his calcium and probiotics.

And last but not least, keeping him isolated from all your furkids is a great idea, especially since he has a nice window with a brand new shelf to look out :thumbs up.

ancientgirl
November 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
OMGosh, poor little guy. I hope he starts to get better soon. Stress can really do a number on kitties. They're such delicate little things. :goodvibes::goodvibes: I hope he gets better quickly.

rainbow
November 3rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Poor Rascal. :sad: :grouphug:

I have no advice to offer but just wanted to send lots of good wishes for him to recover quickly. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Sugarcatmom has tons of knowledge ....hopefully she will reply soon. :thumbs up

chico2
November 3rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
diandpat,cats are very,very sensitive to changes,to brand new experiences.
With mine,even bringing in a new piece of furniture worries them:laughing:

Once this little guy relaxes and really start enjoying his new wonderful life,I am sure he'll feel better:pray:

hazelrunpack
November 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
:goodvibes: for the little dude! I hope the doxy does the trick for him! :thumbs up

Once he settles in to his new home, :fingerscr the asthma subsides, too! :goodvibes:

rainbow
November 4th, 2009, 03:15 AM
How is Rascal doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

diandpat
November 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks again to all of you who have sent your good wishes and good vibes to my little Rascal. I have been hesitant to post an update as there have been several steps backwards over the last few weeks and did not want to jinx myself.

Today, Rascal does seem much much better. His eyes are SO MUCH BETTER now. He is eating (voraciously), drinking, pooping and peeing. I can hear him playing in his room and also, of course, on his perch checking out the yard.

The problem with him feeling better is that now he wants to rejoin the family :sad: This morning he was meowing at his door. Zuzu heard and darted to see where the meowing was coming from. She is often at his door meowing too. He knows she is there and just stares back at the door...no reaction :shrug: I am going to read the "introductions" link again and see what to do next. I really want to do this right so that we can all live together in harmony :fingerscr

Again, thank you all for your opinions, advice and good vibes. They were all greatly appreciated. I know there will be a million more questions and concerns over time but I am thankful to have weathered this first scary and difficult storm :thumbs up

Rascal's beautiful green eyes, checking out the yard, Zuzu at his door...

hazelrunpack
November 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
:goodvibes: for continued improvement and a smooth introduction! You did a great job with the little darling, diandpat!

They're both such beautiful kitties! :flirt:

rainbow
November 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
YAY for Rascal :thumbs up ....I hope he doesn't have any more set backs. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Now your fun will begin when him and Zuzu get back together. :D

14+kitties
November 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
That is wonderful new Di! Here's hoping that it is clear sailing from now on. There have been so many sick kitties around lately it's sad. Rascal looks so much better!! Sending lots of :goodvibes: for continued improvement.
I would be tempted to leave the intros for a couple of more days until Rascal is feeling much more himself.
Great job!! :highfive:

chico2
November 5th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Awww,Rascal looks sooo much better:lovestruck:
I too would wait just a bit longer,until he is 100%,it's no hurry,after all you might have 20 yrs with them:cat:

Love4himies
November 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Wahoo, I agree with 14+, I think a few more days before intros would be a good idea.

growler~GateKeeper
November 6th, 2009, 01:54 AM
This morning he was meowing at his door. Zuzu heard and darted to see where the meowing was coming from. She is often at his door meowing too. He knows she is there and just stares back at the door...no reaction :shrug:

His lack of reaction to Zuzu just might be because she was "less than nice" to him the last time & he remembers it

diandpat
November 6th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I would be tempted to leave the intros for a couple of more days until Rascal is feeling much more himself.
Great job!! :highfive:

Awww,Rascal looks sooo much better:lovestruck:
I too would wait just a bit longer,until he is 100%,it's no hurry,after all you might have 20 yrs with them:cat:

I absolutely want to keep the intros for a several more days too 1. because I think it is too soon and 2. because today is the first day that Zuzu doesn't have runny eyes and I have not heard her sneeze so I want to make sure she is 110% before they get near each other again. I don't have the time, $$$, or strength for another set back from either of them :laughing::laughing::laughing:

His lack of reaction to Zuzu just might be because she was "less than nice" to him the last time & he remembers it

Actually I am amazed that she even cares where he is as HE was the one attacking her...she was always on her back in a corner with her paws up :frustrated:

Don't know how or why it started because they seemed fine when she recovered from her spay. They ate together, looked out windows, lay on couches...even hid in the same closet. Then all of a sudden WHAM he was a hunter :yell:

I suppose he may have been getting sicker but I really don't know. I just know that they are both going to be around for a while so we have to do this right.

I did put her in my bedroom this a.m. and let him have the run of the house for 2 hours as he was meowing and jumping everywhere this a.m. I was afraid he would either hurt himself or become aggressive being cooped up. He went up and down the stairs a gazillion times and then I waited for him to go back into his room on his own and closed the door. All is quiet in there right now and Zuzu is happy to be back in the house.

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Sounds like they're both on the mend. :goodvibes:

:fingerscr that the old saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." applies to kitties, too! :o

growler~GateKeeper
November 7th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Actually I am amazed that she even cares where he is as HE was the one attacking her...she was always on her back in a corner with her paws up :frustrated:

apparantly I didn't read that the way I thought I had :laughing:

no (bad) reaction to her then cuz he's feeling better