Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Charlie

Ryan48
October 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3494/4056845281_4a653a62aa.jpg

Charlie had such a bad eye infection when we got him. He was off to the vet the following Monday.

Rm

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2009, 12:27 AM
What a wonderful picture! All the lines of the whiskers, ear hairs and fur!! :cloud9:

He's a lovely boy! :lovestruck: He looks so silky!

Gail P
October 30th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Poor guy. Pretty cat though. What is it about Charlie's and their eyes? Right now my friend's old orange cat Charlie is on crate rest and drops in his eyes every 4 hours (down now from every 2 hours at first). He got scratched by their other cat Angel and it was almost a decision of remove the eye or put him down (he's quite old to expose to the surgery). Luckily with the medication and keeping him in very dim lighting he's doing pretty well.

Ryan48
October 30th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hazel
I love those little tuffs of hair in the ears!

Gail
Oh, I'm sorry about your friend's cat. Bless your friends for taking the time to try and mend him before putting him down! Our old man died here about two mos ago. He was so loved. He was, we think, about 18. We adopted him five years ago from someone that was going into the service and was going to just put him down. Well ,he was a perfectly good, used cat. Couldn't let that happen. He was the best cat. He died laying next to us on the couch. Just stopped breathing.

RM

Gail P
October 31st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Hazel
I love those little tuffs of hair in the ears!

Gail
Oh, I'm sorry about your friend's cat. Bless your friends for taking the time to try and mend him before putting him down! Our old man died here about two mos ago. He was so loved. He was, we think, about 18. We adopted him five years ago from someone that was going into the service and was going to just put him down. Well ,he was a perfectly good, used cat. Couldn't let that happen. He was the best cat. He died laying next to us on the couch. Just stopped breathing.

RM
I'm very sorry to hear about your old cat. It sounds like his passing was very peaceful which is something to be thankful for. :grouphug:

Ryan48
October 31st, 2009, 01:11 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2766/4057692032_9937ce0024.jpg

I think Charlie was previously owned by a bunch of dogs. He will only eat dog food and he begs like a dog.

RM

Tundra_Queen
November 1st, 2009, 02:38 AM
He is such a cutie pie! :)

rainbow
November 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Charlie is a purrty boy. :lovestruck:

But please don't feed him just dog food as it does not have enough protein or taurine in it and he will end up with nutritional deficiencies.

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 04:06 AM
Oh, no. He gets cat food. But I've noticed that he will munch on the dog's food, like maybe that's all he's gotten in the past. And he sits in the kitchen while I cook. I have to scoot him out.

RM

rainbow
November 3rd, 2009, 04:16 AM
I think Charlie was previously owned by a bunch of dogs. He will only eat dog food and he begs like a dog.

RM

Sorry .....I guess I misunderstood your comment.

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
When we first got him that's all he'd eat. Like that's all he had ever had before. I've never seen a cat want dog food over anything else. IF you are wondering all three of my cats get one of the best CAT foods you can give a cat. Although, Charlie will still dig out of the dog food if there's any left. It's much easier to keep a dog away from cat food then cats away from dog food. Ever try to feed your dogs on something high enough to keep the cat out of their food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan48 View Post

RM

Sorry .....I guess I misunderstood your comment.

I'm glad we cleared this up!

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I just want to make it clear....esp to the last poster. That my animals, all six of them, are well cared for. Toonsies, Charlie and Sam were at the nasty, kill shelter in my home town. Charlie and Sam were days away from being put down. Flea bags and both, they were cage mates, had bad eye infections. The day after I adopted all three cats they were at the vet getting medical care.

I have owned cats and dogs for years. I adopt all my animals, except Dart . He was a gift. I also do volunteer adoptions/and I've fostered more animals then I can remember.

I'm new to the forum, so I just wanted to let you know...that I'm aware of all the different foods and good pet ownership.

If Charlie would only eat dog food, and still likes it, would it have been better he died? Or is it better that he's in a safe home, indoor cat, with people trying to do what's best for him? Both my Dog and Cats eat wellness core.
My son is district mgr for pet supplies plus . Three privately owned stores . I would assume he's given me decent advice on what foods to get. I didnt see the wellness core on any recall lists, yet.

Just wanted to clear a few things up. Thanks for listening

RM

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Charlie is a very handsome dude.
As far as the food - I thought the same as Rainbow when I read your comment. No need to be upset. We sometimes take the words we see and figure that's what you mean.
Are you only feeding Wellness Core or do you feed canned as well? It is very important for cats to get their water with their food which is why it is important to feed canned. Dry, no matter how good, is not good for cats.
You asked if Charlie would only eat dog food and still liked it would it be better he died. If he continued to eat dog food he may well have. Dog food does not contain taurine which is very important for cats in their diets. Although lately they have been talking about the importance of taurine in a dogs diet as well. Maybe the pet food industry is finally figuring out how to feed our pets.
I wonder if in your travels through the board you have come across this web site...
http://www.catinfo.org/
It has such a wealth of information in it you almost don't need another site for cats.
Thank you again for saving Charlie and his mates. Without you they would have been goners. :thumbs up

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Charlie is one handsome dude kitty :cloud9: :lovestruck:.

I too, like Rainbow, thought he was only eating dog food when I saw your post :eek:. Not everybody knows about the need cats have for taurine.

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sorry If I took anyone wrong. I probably stated things wrong, as well. Sadly, I've been with a couple rescue groups that , instead of saving and finding good homes for the animals tend to spend more time with who's right and who's wrong within the group. On that note:

Mr. Charlie is an absolute pig. The cat will eat anything and everything. Beg like a dog, my dogs don't beg like he does. I have no clue if this is from going without? Or if he's just a piggy cat. He has pushed my dogs out of the way to get to the dog food.

I give the cats a third of a can of cat food a day. I know they need water with their meals, for kidney issues among other reasons. The can food they get has , I think, 70% or more moisture. We have added a small cat door to our extra bedroom where the cats can get a break from the dogs. AND, so the dogs won't eat the cat food. I've never been big on leaving cat food out all day, either. For one , Charlie would weigh 500 lbs and that's a whole other health issue. Too many carbs =diabetes issues. They also need time to digest between meals. And I think they eat better when it's not always "there" for them. Same with my dogs. It's not always "there." We have meal times.

So I do know that cats need the protein, animal vs plant. The fact that dry food usually has too many carbs, which lead to health issues(diabetes0 and not enough moisture, which lead to health issues(kidney)

Now, keeping it all separate when you have three cats and three dogs is the trick. I try to keep meal times the same for all of them.

Now, Sam could care less about food. So I just make sure he's getting his wet food. He will usually eat a little bit of dry later in the day but food is not his thing. Same for Toonsies.

I would have no problem giving them 100% wet food, but I had always heard that dry food has it's plus side, such as keeping teeth cleaner.

But if given the chance Charlie would not only eat dog food but anything else within reach. But, that's not what I'm letting him do.

Rm

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
S
I would have no problem giving them 100% wet food, but I had always heard that dry food has it's plus side, such as keeping teeth cleaner.

A lot of people think that dry food helps to clean the teeth. Truth be told it really does not. Check out the site below where it states........

"Most cats don't consistently chew dry food; they swallow it whole. Obviously, without contacting the teeth, there is zero effect on tartar accumulation. For cats who do chew dry food, whether consistently or occasionally, there is still little or no benefit. The kibbles shatter, so contact between the kibble and the teeth occurs only at the tips of the teeth. This is certainly not enough to make a difference in the formation of tartar and plaque, which most commonly builds up along (and underneath) the gumline at the base of the teeth."

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=doesdryfoodcleantheteeth

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
So it's best to give cats 100% wet food? If that's the case I will change over. And how much should ea cat get a day? Obviously more then what they get now because of the dry I've been giving them. This is the food they get now:

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=1578/form_keyword=Wellness+CORE/rd=1/st=query

Rm

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
Rainbow I would like to apologize for taking your comment wrong. Obviously you had the cat's best interest at heart. I should know this. How many people spend time posting on an animal thread if they don't love animals :)

Hugs

RM

chico2
November 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Ryan thank you for explaining what you are all about and those beautiful kitties were certainly lucky you stepped in and saved them.
All we knew about you,was that you take beautiful pictures,but thank you for telling us a bit more.
3 dogs and 3 cats is quiet a houseful:pawprint:
I have 3 cats and although I've had cats most of my life,I've learned an awful lot on our Forum.

Anyone going the extra mile to help animals in need is a wonderful person in my book:thumbs upand we have many of our members who do exactly that every day,I don't think we said"WELCOME TO OUR FORUM RYAN"and critters:cat::dog:

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Aww, thanks Chico. One of the reasons I left the border collie rescue is because it just seemed like no matter how hard i, and a few others , tried
we were always being scolded for something. So sometimes I'm a bit sensitive .

I have learned a ton so far from this forum. I have been spending the evenings looking trough old posts and esp the photos . It just warms my heart to see so many animals loved and well cared for. I wish every animal out there would /could have the same life that we all provide for our babies.

I need to put my name in the transport list. Also hold over for foster. I do a lot of local volunteer work for non specific breeds. Three nights a week I go to the local PSP store and socialize the cats, clean the litter and just hang with them. It's so tough not taking ea one home!

RM

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
So it's best to give cats 100% wet food? If that's the case I will change over. And how much should ea cat get a day? Obviously more then what they get now because of the dry I've been giving them. This is the food they get now:

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php/page_id=1578/form_keyword=Wellness+CORE/rd=1/st=query

Rm

A cat should have between 250 to 300 calories daily. Equivalent to about 7 to 10 mice. Wellness is a good food. If calorie count is not listed on the side of the can (I can't remember) it's possible you can email them and ask. They should supply the information to you.

Ryan48
November 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Good grief. Seven-ten mice.

RM

Frenchy
November 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
That's a beautiful picture , he looks so soft :cloud9:

rainbow
November 4th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Rainbow I would like to apologize for taking your comment wrong. Obviously you had the cat's best interest at heart. I should know this. How many people spend time posting on an animal thread if they don't love animals :)

Hugs

RM

There is no reason to apologize ....it was just a misunderstanding/miscommunication thing. :grouphug:

14+, L4H, sugarcatmom and growler have a lot more knowledge about cats than I could ever hope to have. And, you obviously care about your fuzzbutts very much. :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Good grief. Seven-ten mice.

RM

:laughing: That isn't as bad as it sounds. A mouse is about 30 calories. So 7 - 10 isn't that much. Most of the time it's equivalent to one small can (5.5 0z) a day. Of course depending on ages of cats and weights you may have to play with it a little. For instance, if your cat is overweight you would want to cut it back a little. To probably 3/4 of a can to start. If underweight you may want to add a little extra. If the cat is younger than a year then you feed more because they are still growing. Once they are around a year old they don't eat as much. Your cats being all rescue and older should not need more than a can of food each daily.
For the first while do not just take away the dry all together. Cut back gradually on the dry while increasing the wet. That way the cats won't feel like they are being cheated. It is perfectly okay to leave cat food down all day for cats who don't want to eat it all at once. They will go back and nibble just like they do with the dry.
Does that help clear it up a bit?

chico2
November 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Ryan,I have been feeding my 3 Wellness canned for a long time,they seem to have enough sharing a 5,5 oz can twice daily.
I have a bowl of dry,for the one cat(Chico) who's not a good eater.
"My" boy outside(Tux)eats 2 cans/day by himself and he eats it all,however,I cannot afford to buy him Wellness too,he gets Friskies,he would probably eat 5 cans if I gave them to him.
We will hopefully get him trapped this week:fingerscr

Ryan48
November 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Tux sounds like Charlie. A bottomless pit? I can't wait until you get him. He's a lucky guy that you care so much.

Someone asked me to take in another cat today. I'm not overly clear on who owns it, though. The lady that asked me said it lives upstairs, prob an apt. The owner does not care for it right. She said the owner has put it outside hoping it would just get "lost." So I said I would, BUT....the cat has to be vetted first. It can't come into my home without being vetting, for the
health of my own cats. She said she'd even have it spayed. She's just sick of seeing it mistreated. She has 11 birds, so she won't take it.

RM

14+kitties
November 4th, 2009, 06:47 PM
That is wonderful you are willing to take on another kitty! :thumbs up Thank you so much!! :highfive:
I am sure you know all about doing proper introductions so they learn how to get along but this is a site I absolutely love! The lady lives what she preaches. I wish I had found the site before I started my small "catuary". But mine get along "most" times.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management

Ryan48
November 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM
14+kitties and Chico

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to change them over to wet food altogether. But I was wondering about taking the dry away all at once or slowly. You answered that, thank you. Just like changing foods altogether, do it slowly.

Leaving food down all the time will result in one big Charlie boy. I've never seen an animal so focused on food, ever. Well at least a cat. Jake would eat until he explodes if allowed. No matter what is put out and how much Charlie will eat it. I'm wondering if he should go to the vet again? Is there some sort of test, do they get tapeworm? He sure makes it difficult at times. Good thing he's cute :)

RM

14+kitties
November 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Oh no! When I say you can leave the food down I mean open a can in the morning. If they don't eat it in say 15 min or so don't pick it up. Just leave it for them to nibble during the day. Don't give more food every time the plate is empty. You may find once they are eating a better quality canned and no dry they may actually lose a little weight. It's the dry food that puts weight on because of all the carbs.
Has Charlie been dewormed since you adopted him? If not it would be a good idea to do it. Your vet can give you a pill that will take care of it. If he has been dewormed and he is strictly an indoor kitty he shouldn't get worms. Unless he manages to get fleas. Fleas can lead to tapeworms if left untreated and the cat eats the eggs as it is grooming itself. Fleas can sneak into your home on your clothing.

Ryan48
November 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
No, Charlie was not wormed when we took him in. They checked his eyes with an overall "well check" , put him on meds and that was it. At that time I was not aware of such an eating issue.

Ea of the animals have been treated for fleas. The drops on the back of the neck, shoot can't remember the name. OH, frontline plus.

So, maybe it's time to call the vet and see what this eating is about. I mean, I don't turn away a good snack, but Charlie is non stop.

RM

chico2
November 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Ryan,don't let 14+fool you,she is a big-time rescuer and caretaker of cats dumped on her country-property,all are loved,vetted and happy.
I could spend hours and days inside the catuary if it was possible,it's amazing:thumbs up

With my cats,my Vinnie(8yrs old)was at last weigh-in 18lb's:yell:Rocky has Hyper-T and is slowly,very slowly gaining back weight he lost,Chico is good at 14lb's.
It's difficult when one needs to gain,the other loose:cat:

Ryan48
November 5th, 2009, 04:59 PM
You are all awesome for helping me with the kitty issues. I have more experience with the poochies.

Hugs
Rm