Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto woman dies of injuries from coyote attack

Melinda
October 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/61721--toronto-area-woman-dies-after-coyote-attack-in-n-s

A young folk singer and songwriter from the Toronto area has reportedly been killed after being mauled by two coyotes while hiking in a Cape Breton park.

Taylor Mitchell, 19, died in a Halifax hospital, after two coyotes attacked her while she walked on the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

A passerby spotted the woman being attacked and called police, who shot one of the coyotes. The other fled into the woods.

Mitchell was hiking alone at the time.

Park officials say the Skyline Trail will be closed until further notice.

Mitchell's first album, For Your Consideration, was released this year and she has been nominated for a 2009 Canadian Folk Music Award.

An Ontario girl was reportedly bitten by a coyote in the same area several years ago but authorities say such attacks are uncommon.

MyBirdIsEvil
October 30th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I saw this article on CNN and thought it quite odd. I wonder what was wrong with them? I've never heard of a pack of coyotes killing a person before.

Melinda
October 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
it was the second attack, the dead one was sent for tests....no rabies or diseases noted

NoahGrey
October 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
The coyotes were probably sick and or starving. Coyotes are shy aloof animals. Something difinately was wrong these these two coyotes, that even the vet staff could not see what was wrong.

And I am sure the police are going to shoot the exact same coyotes in this sitation. Just oh, there is a coyote, that's him shoot it.

ACO22

cell
October 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
And I am sure the police are going to shoot the exact same coyotes in this sitation. Just oh, there is a coyote, that's him shoot it.

ACO22

yeah that's why I thought too, how do they know what they are shooting I am sure no one can ID a coyote by sight at a distance. there will either be 2 random ones shot and victory claimed while 2 dangerous or diseased ones run loose for a while or they will start a large cull or something.

chico2
October 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
ACO,the park-person said,they are not going to have a mass-kill of Coyotes.
Even the young ladies mother said,her daughter would not want any Coyotes killed ,the girl always thought the wild was for the animals and we are intruding in their space.
It was unfortunate this poor girl was killed,especially since she loved all wild-life.:sad:
But of course,now trigger-happy jerks have an excuse to kill,they only need to say the animal was aggressive

Melinda
October 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The coyotes were probably sick and or starving. Coyotes are shy aloof animals. Something difinately was wrong these these two coyotes, that even the vet staff could not see what was wrong.

ACO22

they "supposedly" were still attacking when cops showed up and shot one on the spot, the other ran"

hazelrunpack
October 30th, 2009, 09:30 PM
That's what I read, too, Melinda...in a longer version of the article. It also mentioned that there had been an attack on a child in the same area a couple years ago, but the child survived. :shrug:

NoahGrey
October 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM
they "supposedly" were still attacking when cops showed up and shot one on the spot, the other ran"

yeah, of course they were. Meaning something is wrong with them. Even sick and or starving.

ACO22

Melinda
October 31st, 2009, 10:24 PM
no doubt, because the ones around here are very timid

CarolynInPEI
November 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
I think this incident is very sad as well. But also a very rare occurance (around this area anyways), and there had have been something wrong with those 2 coyotes.

And as of yesterday or the day before, there were atleast 6-7 coyotes shot in the area "just to be safe". And I'm sure that the number of dead coyotes has raised since then. :sad:

NoahGrey
November 1st, 2009, 04:22 PM
And as of yesterday or the day before, there were atleast 6-7 coyotes shot in the area "just to be safe". And I'm sure that the number of dead coyotes has raised since then. :sad:

What idiots. That is our lovely ministry of natural resources for you. One of the reasons why I will not work for MNR here...geesh.

ACO22

cell
November 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
What idiots. That is our lovely ministry of natural resources for you. One of the reasons why I will not work for MNR here...geesh.

ACO22

I knew when I heard that they claimed there would be no cull I smelled a giant steaming pile of doo doo..:yell:

gullyfourmyle
December 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Coyotes attack a human. Very rare considering their principal prey is - what?

Mice, rabbits, small birds and so on.

So what happened to all the mice and rabbits?

Sure there are years where rabbits are scarce but I've never heard of mice being so scarce at the same time that there aren't enough to go around.

What else is happening? If you google starving polar bears, you will see some horrific Youtube coverage from France of a starving female polar bear. Others are resorting to cannibalism.

Try googling starving bears, wolves and cougars. Things are getting ugly. Canada's wildlife is starving - and no longer just in winter.

Most song birds live in such low numbers they can no longer form flocks. The flocks we see now are those habituated to life near humans. They tend not to migrate and thus survive by eating our garbage.

The fish in the oceans are starving too. Emaciated fish are being caught for the first time in history. How can a fish live long enough to become emaciated without first being eaten unless its school are suffering the same fate?

After that you might want to think about where all the tiny insects have gone that used to appear like a comet trail under outdoor lights. Large moths like cecropias and polyphemus are going. Where are the Mayflies that used to carpet entire buildings and roads? Frogs used to inhabit wetlands to the extent they were counted by frogs per square foot. Not any more.

Milkweed the only plant that Monarchs feed on is considered a noxious weed and farmers have been spraying to kill off the milkweeds. Once they go, the Monarchs go with them. That is being done all over North America.

Two weeks ago (mid November) I drove from Toronto to Pickton, Ontario and only saw one stand of Milkweed a the side of the road. How many Monarchs will that generate?

Not that long ago many people used bug screens and bug sponges to keep splattered bugs off their cars and trucks. Now neither are needed.

When you walk through woods and fields, flying insects of all sorts would rise up in a cloud around you as you walked. Now nothing. Our woods and fields are becoming lifeless dioramas.

Air pollution from industry, electricity generation, farmers spraying pesticides and herbicides are a big part of the problem.

You may not miss bugs now but the truth is we can't live without them.

Pesticides and herbicides are not considered air pollution although the active ingredients are derived from crude oil - generally Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). Your clothes and your upholstered furniture all off gas the same stuff and contribute to poisoning your indoor air and you dogs and cats - human babies too. That is because chemicals are densest close to the floor and ground where animals and babies inhale.

Cancer is the number one killer of dogs and cats. Most of you only feed your animals the very best. Scientifically formulated food. No carcinogens. So it's not the food. Tap water doesn't help though. Tap water is fatal to most species of freshwater fish. Chlorine used to "purify" water is a lethal war time weapon used to poison entire populations if the wind is blowing the right way. It causes cumulative damage to living tissue.

Best thing you can do? Drink aged or purified water. Use all natural fibers like cotton, wool, silk and hemp. There are others. Carpets are the worst for indoor emissions. Then drapes, paint, vinyl siding on houses, computers, tvs and vinyl window frames to name a few - all treating you to what toxicologists call chronic toxicity - exposure that lasts longer than 3 months.

All chemical emissions are dangerous.

Use natural fibers, wood, steel, glass and so on where possible and do your downwind neighbours a favour and wait at least a hundred years before using your wood burning fireplace. You can't beat a wood burning fireplace for creating toxic emissions indoors and out - except by burning garbage in a metal drum.