Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ozzie had all teeth removed

lindapalm
October 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I feel really bad for Ozzie, he had a red area above the 17 teeth he had left, and had them all removed. I don't know how he do without them, but this is the third time he's had to have extractions, so it probably was best to take them all. The x-rays and exam of his sinuses showed severe infection, which the vet for some reason doesn't think has anything to do with his teeth. He won't give him the two week antibiotic shot because he was so bad and he didn't think it would be as strong as giving him a daily dose of meds. Theres no was I could give him meds for 5 days, so were keeping him there to make sure he gets the proper teatment. I can't give him meds, hes so bad when I try to, he bit me yesterday when I tried to put him in the carrier, and I had to go to the dr. for an infection today. When he comes home, what canned food will be the best keeping in mind he has no teeth and crystals and blood in his urine. I'll have to feed him separately along with another cat I have to give wellness canned food to cause she can't swallow normal hard food

14+kitties
October 27th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Poor Ozzie. I feel so sorry for the little fella. He's had a rough go of it.
To answer your question as to what food is best. Any good quality canned food is best. If you are feeding Wellness to the one already just add Ozzie to the list. In fact add all of your cats to the list because there is no such thing as "normal" hard food. The hard food is what has caused a lot of cats' health issues in the first place.
Good luck to little Ozzie.

lindapalm
October 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Does Wellness sell canned food for urinary problems, or will they clear up on their own cause the Wellness has the extra water? Theres no way my husband will go along with feeding seven cats Wellness a $1.49 a can, so it will have to be Ozzie and Hazel getting it for now.

14+kitties
October 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Have you checked out this site at all? It explains a lot about the dangers in feeding dry food to cats. It is one of Sugarcatmom's favourite sites. Probably contains more info than most of us will ever need to use.

http://www.catinfo.org/

I am sure SCM will be along soon to give you much more info than I ever could.

14+kitties
October 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I am guessing $1.49 is the cost for a small can? I wish. Here it is more like $1.79 for a small can. The large ones are somewhere around 3.19 or so.

rjesak
October 28th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Having six cats, I surely understand the problems with canned food diets but after what I've been going through with Oscar (and his bladder stones), I'd strongly recommend it. According to my vet (and what I've seen online confirms this), the bladder stones were probably caused by the dry food the kitties used to have (they were on half dry, half wet). If you can't afford the Wellness for all seven, you could try downgrading to a less expensive canned cat food (not too crappy - avoid McFriskies and the like) - it would still beat dry. :2cents: I've currently got my cats on the grain-free varieties of Fancy Feast (which is fifty to fifty-three cents a can here). They currently get two cans each per day. It's not as good as Wellness and a few others but it beats even high quality dry.

Trust me, I know how tempting it is to go with dry because you feel like you'll save a fortune but, in the long run, the lack of vet bills will offset the cost - Oscar's bladder stones will cost $800-$900 :eek: to remove. That's a few years worth of canned food right there.

Good luck with poor Ozzie - he's having almost a bad a year as my poor Oscar!! :cry:

Love4himies
October 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
My personal favourite is Nature's Variety Instinct canned. I doesn't have any potato filler in it, but does have a bit of peas and carrots.

I found with Wellness, my three cats would eat it one day, then wouldn't touch it for a while, then would eat it again :shrug:. I was throwing so much out so I stopped buying it. I have not had that problem with Instinct. Also, Instinct has more variety of flavours, some my cat's won't touch and others that they love.

I do add some water to the canned food just to make sure Puddles is getting enough fluids. She has NO thirst drive and in previous years has had urine/bladder issues which have now ceased.

I also make my own raw which keeps the cost down dramatically. Rose is on 100% raw, while the other cats eat 50% raw and 50% canned. Jasper's bad breath (and super stinky poops) has disappeared.

chico2
October 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
My 3 get Wellness canned 5,5 oz cans at $1,79 per can and they are doing great on it,like it still.
They eat 2 5,5oz cans/day.
I checked out the Instinct and it cost quiet a bit more,so Wellness will have to do,probably great for a poor kitty with no teeth.
Meows kitty(Simba) has no teeth,maybe if she come on,she can give you some pointers.

quincymycat
October 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hi Linda,
Poor Ozzie. I have a kitty that has lost most (he still has his canine and the few tiny teeth up top) of his teeth due to ongoing gingivitis and oral infections. I was told that this happens more frequently in red cats, but I don't know about that.
Milo was a kibble kitty, No matter how hard I tried, he would run away from the smell of any soft food, once in awhile he would pick at a raw diet, but he was also a bit nutso so I didn't push him too much. The night he came back from having his extractions, he went straight to the kibble and swallowed them whole. Since he was doing this before the extractions, I guess that was just him.
It is best for for Ozzie to eat the soft. I have used Wellness in the past, and had the same reaction as others, one day it would be fine, next, no way anyone would touch it.
I have not tried the Instinct but I think I will pick up a couple of cans when I go out later. Does it come in fishy blends?:cat:

quincymycat
October 28th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Linda, something else you may notice about Ozzie now that he has had his teeth removed is his tongue may have a bit of a tendency to loll out of his mouth, especially when he is relaxed. No teeth to really hold it back anymore. My vet advised me this may happen so I was not too shocked the first time it happened and think he had had a stoke or something.
Good luck. Over time Ozzie will adapt and will likely feel better once his mouth heals up and his infections are gone.:goodvibes:

lindapalm
October 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice, we'll try him on the Wellness Chicken and Herring (thats the only one Hazel will eat, and then try Fancy Feast, etc. I went to see him at the vet today, and I think I'm No.1 on his hit list, he looks so sad, but I think he still has to feel better than before the removals. I'm expecting his tongue to hang out cause I have another former feral that doesn't have many teeth left and his tongue sticks out. He looks so cute. I took Bennie (one of my sprayers) to a different vet cause I could not get a urine sample from him, and I wanted to make sure it was Ozzie that peed blood and not him. He didn't even test him, just gave him a Convenia shot and said if he did have bladder problems thats what he'd have to do for him anyhow, I disagreed. He also put him on amitryptlyne, at my request. He kept spraying even though I gave my other cat away that was spraying. Hopefully the med. can be stopped after a couple of months, see what happens. I've cleaned every spot I can find and I'm going to try him back in the house in about a week after the med. take effect. He's living in the bad boy pen in my garage for now.

lindapalm
October 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Quincymycat, its funny but Ozzie is red too, so maybe your vet is on to something.

krdahmer
October 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM
You can also water down the wet food for more moisture, that's what I do with the wellness for my pp prob girl...and I imagine it would be easier for him to eat with no teeth too.

Love4himies
October 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the advice, we'll try him on the Wellness Chicken and Herring (thats the only one Hazel will eat, and then try Fancy Feast, etc. I went to see him at the vet today, and I think I'm No.1 on his hit list, he looks so sad, but I think he still has to feel better than before the removals. I'm expecting his tongue to hang out cause I have another former feral that doesn't have many teeth left and his tongue sticks out. He looks so cute. I took Bennie (one of my sprayers) to a different vet cause I could not get a urine sample from him, and I wanted to make sure it was Ozzie that peed blood and not him. He didn't even test him, just gave him a Convenia shot and said if he did have bladder problems thats what he'd have to do for him anyhow, I disagreed. He also put him on amitryptlyne, at my request. He kept spraying even though I gave my other cat away that was spraying. Hopefully the med. can be stopped after a couple of months, see what happens. I've cleaned every spot I can find and I'm going to try him back in the house in about a week after the med. take effect. He's living in the bad boy pen in my garage for now.

Just to let you know that amitriptilyne can cause cats to become more agressive. I had to take Sweet Pea off of it because of that. It also can cause liver issues in cats and had to have Sweet Pea in for bloodwork every month while she was on it.

lindapalm
October 29th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'll keep an eye out for behavorial problem, this morning he was much mellower than usual, although that could probably change. I'll have him checked once a month, he's easy to get to vet. Did you put your cat on it for spraying, and did it work?

Love4himies
October 29th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'll keep an eye out for behavorial problem, this morning he was much mellower than usual, although that could probably change. I'll have him checked once a month, he's easy to get to vet. Did you put your cat on it for spraying, and did it work?

No, she was aggressive to Puddles and would attack unprovoked. She was much better for a few weeks, mellow, like you mentioned, then she started getting very aggressive so we had to wean her off.

lindapalm
October 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
He's going to be by himself for a week, but when I bring him back inside I'll have to watch him closely. He's 5 pounds bigger than the rest of the cats and usually the biggest baby, I hope he stays that way.