Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bladder Stones: Diet or Surgery???

rjesak
October 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Well, the cat that was peeing blood is Oscar (who's just having a terrible year)! :frustrated:Turns out he has bladder stones that need to be dealt with. :sick:

According to the vet, some bladder stones can be dissolved by a special diet and we could have him tested to see if Oscar's are that type. There are a couple of difficulties with this so I could use some advice. First of all, although Oscar is up to 8 pounds 11 ounces, he's still over a pound away from his ideal weight (which was 9 pounds 13 ounces for years). I'm concerned about changing his diet when we need to ensure he eats!

Secondly, he feels so crappy that he's been extremely aggressive with the other cats. :evil: We've had some aggression problems with one of the other cats when Oscar was on the steroids but those issues have lessened or disappeared since he's been off them. In the past two days, I've broken up five cat fights with Oscar and the other cats. The diet option would cause the crystals to dissolve over the course of weeks or months so I'd have to deal with a very miserable cat for a lot longer! :wall:

Finally, I have six cats so it's difficult to modify the diet of one without modifying the diet of many. I asked the vet but she just said they use Hill's SD which changes the PH of his urine. :shrug: I wouldn't use Hill's but is there a modification I could make to the diet of ALL the cats that would benefit Oscar without harming them? I've been searching online but all I can find is that the food would reduce the building blocks of certain minerals... ????

Surgery would be expensive but would be a quick fix. The drawback is that Oscar is at increased risk because of his age (11) and his asthma (currently quite well under control).

So thoughts? :confused::2cents::confused: I'd really appreciate any advice! :thankyou::thankyou:

Love4himies
October 27th, 2009, 02:14 PM
First off, you have to know what kind of stones they are. Oxalate stones can't be dissolved with a diet change while struvite can be, so you may be forced to do the surgery.

Second, an acidic urine ph can dissolve the struvite stones, but you may end up with a problem with oxalate ones.

Here is good reading:

http://www.vin.com/vindbpub/searchpb/proceedings/pr05000/pr00125.htm

The best way to manage a cat's urine ph and avoiding crystal and stone issue is by feeding them a species appropriate diet, such as quality canned, or even better a properly prepared raw diet, and never, never any kibble unless it is the odd treat. In fact, all your cats would benefit from this diet and would be cheaper than a prescription diet.

http://www.catinfo.org/

Sending some :goodvibes:

rjesak
October 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks much L4H, your note reminds me that I should have included some information on his current diet - I had forgotten.

Because of Oscar's asthma, his diet has changed somewhat recently. It's been all canned for a couple of years now (I do have a quality organic grain-free kibble that I give them occasionally, but it's less than a cup between the six of them). Their main diet includes grain-free selections of Fancy Feast. I've been planning on upgrading to a higher quality food, but Oscar has been quite picky so until his weight gets back up, I'm hesitant to switch.