Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat sick

amberlynn
October 26th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hi I have a 4year old black male fixed cat, and I think there is something wrong with him but as i am a part time worker I cannot afford vet cost if anyone can help me I will describe what is happening. He was the type of cat that always talks to you in the morning in the bathroom and he always was in kitchen to meow for his food he also would hike his back up for attention and when you sneezed or had sniffles he would meow he was quite the caratcher and a funny cat. He also is an indoor cat and would just go out on the balcony with me and that was it for being an outdoor cat. Right now he has stoped eating, but still drinking water and he has no fever and ears and noes are good he has lost weight from not eating and he also does not do any of the normal things anymore. I have done the test on him where you would grab the skin on his back to check for renal failier and he seems to be fine in that area. I am force feeding him wich is difficult but doing the best I can. His stool is fine and he is peeing fine. What could be the possiblities please help me with this.

14+kitties
October 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
If your cat has stopped eating it is serious. You need to find the money somewhere to get him to a vet asap. Borrow, beg, credit, something. Believe me, I know the constraints of working part time as well but if a vet is needed we find a way. Cats can not go a long time not eating. It can lead to many more problems that will cost you a whole lot more than a vet visit now.

growler~GateKeeper
October 27th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Since your cat has stopped eating, has visibly lost weight & his personality has changed it is past time for a trip to the vet.

Call the vet ask for a payment plan, many will do this for their clients, you could also ask about paying by post dated cheque.

There is also http://www.petcard.ca/ a credit card or loan application for use exclusively at the vets.

I have done the test on him where you would grab the skin on his back to check for renal failier and he seems to be fine in that area. I am force feeding him wich is difficult but doing the best I can

The skin pinch test does NOT check for renal failure, only dehydration. However cats can be dehydrated & still do fine with the skin pinch test. Renal failure can only be determined with blood & urine tests.

:goodvibes: let us know what the vet says

Love4himies
October 27th, 2009, 07:54 AM
A cat who is not eating is sick and needs to see the vet. There is no way for us to diagnose him.

Please keep us updated after his vet visit.

amberlynn
October 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
thank you all for your thoughts and I am taking my cat tonight to the vet as my friend is loaning me the money. thank you all

Love4himies
October 27th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I am so glad to hear that. Please keep us updated.

Jim Hall
October 27th, 2009, 03:05 PM
wellthat is good news i wish you both good luck

growler~GateKeeper
October 28th, 2009, 01:30 AM
amberlynn How's your cat doing? :goodvibes: