Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

got Ozzie in carrier

lindapalm
October 26th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Decided Ozzie wasn't going to get in carrier by himself, I wanted to throw a blanket on him, my husband put gloves and coat on and thought he could pick him up and shove him in. He got him as far as the carrier opening, and couldn't get him through. He was afraid he woud hurt him cause he was fighting back so bad, so he let him go. Big mistake. Now I'm chasing him around with the blanket, after 20 minutes and bleeding on my part I threw the blanket on him and shoved him and the blanket in carrier. The vet is keeping him overnight and sedating him to examine him tomorrow. He has cystitis and either sinus infection or stomatitis. I told him if it is the teeth, to take them all out. He's been three times for the teeth and they take some out each time, he's got 17 left. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be easier on him and me if they all come out.

clm
October 26th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Sounds like you went a few rounds with the cat but you won. :thumbs up
At least he's going to get the treatment he needs. Make sure you get the vet and his assistant to show you how to hold that cat to give him pills before you bring him home if he's going to need medication.

clm

lindapalm
October 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I'm going to keep him at the vet for as long as he needs meds, theres no way I'll get near him now.

clm
October 27th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Yes, he is not going to be very happy with you for sure. :laughing: Too bad he doesn't realize it's for his own good.
Our first dog, Freddie, used to turn into Kujo when he thought he was going to the vet. Had to throw a hotdog into one of DH's hockey bags, the dog would jump into the bag after the hotdog and then we'd zip him up in it with his head sticking out. Then we could muzzle him and cart him off to the car. :laughing:He was big for a kees which didn't help and 3 of us could not hold that dog down to get blood from him at the vets office. He would not allow anyone to touch his feet either, to clip his nails we had to sneak the muzzle on him first and then again, three people had to hold him down to let the 4th clip his nails. While I loved that dog with all my heart, I don't miss having to deal with that part of things. :laughing: Ironically, it was a vet that made him that way. All it took was a cortizone shot in his leg by a vet who couldn't be bothered to find out what was causing his problem instead of just treating the symptom. After that he got a new vet, but the damage was done. His new vet loved him regardless and used to insist on carrying the dog in the hockey bag out to the car for us. :laughing:

clm

Love4himies
October 27th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I am glad you got him in the carrier :thumbs up. It would be so much easier if they would just cooperate a bit :yell: :frustrated:.

I hope his teeth are not as bad as you think :pray: and sending some :goodvibes: for him at the vets.

Jim Hall
October 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
was this the first time for a carriar for him ? sometimes it gets eaasier

ownedbycats
October 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
They are a bit more expensive, but have you tried a carrier that opens at the top? I find it is much harder for my cats to grow extra legs and refuse to enter the carrier when I can load them in from the top. Mostly because the top is wider than the front or back side.

Hazmat
October 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
LOL.
I have a male Maine coon cat. He showed up at my door about 3 years ago and after feeding him for about 6 months I finally got him inside ( he has not left and will not go outside again :))

Most of my friends and relatives have never seen him. He runs and hides whenever anyone comes over.

He is very affectionate and mild mannered until I hold him to show anyone.
then He turns into a hissing, biting, scratching feral cat!

Yet after stuffing him into the cat carrier and going to the VET. At the Vet he is his old mild mannered self. Somehow my Vet commands cat respect:)

sugarcatmom
October 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I'm going to keep him at the vet for as long as he needs meds, theres no way I'll get near him now.

If they do take some/all of the teeth out, ask them to put him on a Fentanyl pain patch. Then nobody has to mess with his mouth and he should be able to come home right away. For antibiotics, there are injectable ones that last quite a while, although I don't know how effective they are against oral bacteria. Alternatively, you can ask for Clavamox tablets which you can crush and mix into his food or a tasty treat (like chicken baby food). I just think he'll be less stressed and should heal faster if he's in his own home rather than staying at a vet clinic for days.

Hope the dental goes well!

catlover2
October 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I realize getting a feral cat such as Ozzie is difficult to get in a carrier, but for those who have a new kitten or cat, this should be one of the things they should get used to so that it's not a big deal and then cat doesn't always associate the carrier with a vet visit. From kittenhood, occasionally put your cat in the carrier and take it for a short ride in the car, maybe next time you go shopping. Give it some treats in the carrier after you put cat in and after you take him out after a short trip. This will save a lot of grief when you do have to take the cat to the vet.

Also, along with regular grooming, whether shorthair or longhair, accustom kitten to having its ears examined and its mouth opened; your vet will appreciate a cooperative cat. :)

lindapalm
October 28th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I couldn't agree more about working on a kitten early with a carrier. We've had Ozzie for seven years, and can't get him to improve on picking him up or using the carrier. I only wish we got him when he was younger, maybe we would have had a better chance, but he's still a great cat.

Jim Hall
October 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM
lol well it is a cat gotta have something it doesnt like

and yeah top load carriers rule

lindapalm
October 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Is the door on the top, or does the whole top come off. Our problem is geting him through any door, even a dog carrier. He fights so much we're afraid we'll hurt him pushing him through.

ownedbycats
October 29th, 2009, 10:43 AM
First, wrap cat in a blanket, then lower the cat and blanket together through the top. I discovered this works even with injured cats when Misty broke her sternum and I wanted to lower her in without touching her abdomen.