Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can I tell the breed of my dog?

Beautygirl
August 22nd, 2004, 06:27 PM
We just adopted a dog from the SPCA. She is one year old and a great dog. They weren't sure what breed she is. I know that she is a mix-breed, but I'd just like to have some idea of what kind she could be. I'm attaching a pic of her. TIA

Lucky Rescue
August 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
CUTE!! How big is she? Impossible to say but from that pic I would guess maybe Golden or Spaniel, and some sort of terrier.:)

Luba
August 22nd, 2004, 06:36 PM
Hey now she is really cute!!

I say maybe golden/terrier as LR says post more pics

Tx for saving her :D

Writing4Fun
August 22nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
She really is a Beauty! Like the others said, we need more pics (hint!). A lot depends on her actual size. Nice silky fur, though! :D

Lady_Eleven
August 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
what a cute dog! I'd say Golden/Terrier mix as well. I have the urge to say Golden/Yorkie (I know, I know, but I'm not crazy - it could happen - I've seen chiuaua (sp?) Bernese Mountain dog puppies! After that I figure anything can happen)

Beautygirl
August 23rd, 2004, 08:57 AM
She isn't very big. She's not as big as my brother's Pug, but bigger than my other brother's Chihuahua/Min Pin. She is short on her legs, but has a long body (the reason everyone asks if she's part Dachsund. Beauty is just a cutie. I'll try to see if I can get some clear pics with my digital camcorder.

Writing4Fun
August 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM
Aha! Long body and short legs - then I'd venture a guess and say long-haired Dachshund? She's very beautiful!! :D

Lucky Rescue
August 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Short legs? Then I'd say Doxy/terrier mix. :D

glasslass
August 23rd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Let's see that tail too! :rolleyes:

Beautygirl
August 31st, 2004, 10:23 AM
Here are some more pics of Beauty. They are a bit blurry, but might give you a better view. This might make it easier to make a guess of what breed she is.

Spoiled
August 31st, 2004, 10:26 AM
I'd say she has sheltie, terrier and dashund in her. She is a very pretty dog. :)

GsdDiamond
August 31st, 2004, 12:05 PM
Looking at picture #5, I'd say Jack Russell and Dashund. Whatever she is....she certainly is a pretty dog!

alpha sheltie
August 31st, 2004, 08:05 PM
My guess would be Daschund/Terrier

Babs
August 31st, 2004, 09:36 PM
From what I have researched, the most informed *opinion* you will get regarding what breed your dog *could* be, would come from breeders who can spot and recognize key characteristics in your dog.

Many breeders post on this very forum.

Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately identify a breed, specifically a cross-breed, even if you investigated DNA testing.

What you're looking at is a best guess, or you can settle on "Heinz-57"! There's no other kindz!

Mixes are wonderful. Some of the best tempered and most intelligent dogs I've ever seen have been mixes.

Luba
August 31st, 2004, 10:29 PM
Def some Dachshund in there for sure very cute ;)

Beautygirl
September 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
What you're looking at is a best guess, or you can settle on "Heinz-57"! There's no other kindz!

Mixes are wonderful. Some of the best tempered and most intelligent dogs I've ever seen have been mixes.

I totally agree. Our last dog was a mixed breed and an awesome dog. It really doesn't matter to us what breed she is, we love her anyways. I was just asking for curiosity sake.