Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

our new house guest

Catt31
August 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
We've been "dragon-sitting" one of my students Bearded Dragon named Pudge. Here are a couple pics of him...he is wayyy too cool!!! Brick is infatuated with him and his big tank!!! :rolleyes:

Luba
August 22nd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Woahhhh man look at the draggie :D very kewl

meggie1425
August 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Very cool!! :D what do you feed Bearded Dragons?

Cactus Flower
August 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
WOW, is he ever cute! And the dragon isn't bad, either ;)

Writing4Fun
August 22nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Very cool!! :D what do you feed Bearded Dragons?

My sister got a Beardie because you don't have to feed them baby mice like other lizards. She feeds him crickets, meal worms, and lots of veggies (romaine lettuce, zucchini, peas, etc...). Pudge is a cutie! My sis never trained hers, so now you need a pair of work gloves if you want to pick him up without suffering any injuries.

wAggie
August 22nd, 2004, 08:43 PM
what does it eat?

how long do they live?

sorry w the q's, i'm simply curious :D :D

Writing4Fun
August 22nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
When my sis got hers, the guy at the reptile place said they live about 5-6 years. BUT, we just met another zoo-type fellow and he said they can live up to 15 years!!

Catt31
August 22nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
Tee hee...thanks guys!!! I want one of my own now!!

Thanks Cactus, thats my fiance Tim!! ;)

We feed him dragon pellets (dried food) but he doesn't care much for that. He also gets meal worms or super worms, crickets, and once gave him a pinkie mouse (I couldn't watch). The owners don't give him mice but we had an extra when we gave them to our geckos, so thought we'd try it. UGH!! I also give him lettuce, cucumbers, peas, etc. He's gotten so fat this month....I hope his owners don't kill me!! LOL

Says here that beardies live 5-8 years if kept in proper conditions. They do have proof of a 12 year old! (Bearded Dragon Manual) I think Frilled Dragons can live up to 15 years. Beardies originate from Australia and are quite high maintenance critters.....more so than our geckos!! 3 different lights, huge tank, wood and rocks to climb on, sand, etc.

wAggie
August 22nd, 2004, 11:00 PM
WOW, 3 different lights??! i've never heard of that! thanx for the info, catt, i really appreciate it, so does my *ahem* wisdom for that matter :p

... q, did u hear the mouse... uh, disappearing? :eek:

Catt31
August 23rd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Yeah its crazy - because they are from Australia, they have to be kept really warm (90-100F)! He needs a white incandescent bulb to warm him, a flourescent bulb for lighting and then a UV-B purple bulb to give him his "sunlight"!

Ask away, the more you ask, the more I learn too!!!

I looked away when he was eating the mouse, but I could hear it crunch. I peeked, then I saw the blood and I almost puked so I left the room!! :(

wAggie
August 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
omg, how gross!!!!

last time i saw honey w a bird in her mouth... i thought THat was the nastiest. esh, thank goodness i got that out of her mouth! i asked my dada to remove it from my yard later that day. :o