Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fin Rot

Joe549
October 25th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I have a couple of goldfish that developed a fungus and fin rot. It appears that I have managed to cure up the fungus problem, both fish are doing better and are more active then what they were a few weeks ago however one of them also had fin rot and his tail fin is all but gone. Will this grow back or is it lost cause?

MyBirdIsEvil
October 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM
It kind of depends on the fish. I've seen fins grow back from extensive damage and come back from nearly being gone, and I've seen other fish whose fins just never came back and they weren't damaged that bad.

Keeping your water quality very high will raise the chance that the fins will come back in. They may not come back in as attractive as they were in the first place though. Damaged fins will often grow back kind of odd.

MARTYnBENTLEY
November 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
we used melafix it has additives to de-stress the fish which helps the healing....at leat we had favorable results with it

clm
December 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
melafix can coat the gills making it difficult for fish to breathe. I never use the stuff and never will.

clm

MyBirdIsEvil
December 14th, 2009, 10:11 AM
melafix can coat the gills making it difficult for fish to breathe. I never use the stuff and never will.

clm

I agree. I've used it before and had nothing but problems. I follow the dosing instructions and still had it kill off biological bacteria (which it claims not to do - I think it may have suffocated them), and kill a couple of fish by causing respiratory issues. After adding it to a tank I noticed every single fish was breathing heavily and I ended up having to do a massive water change to get the stuff out of the tank. I have a whole gallon bottle that has only been used twice because I refuse to ever use it again.