Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing Geenie- our new foster!

Macomom
October 20th, 2009, 07:26 PM
This is Geenie. She came to be a house guest on Saturday night. She is from Montreal where she was suffering from such severe anxiety that she was "pacing" herself to death. She is soooo skinny- emaciated would be a better word, but she is eating very well now. Satin balls, Orijen and Wellness wet food as well as oils, eggs and acidepholus.

cell
October 20th, 2009, 08:30 PM
cute! she looks super expressive!

Rottielover
October 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I know Genie, walked her few times, she is a great dog that just needs to learn some manners. She will make an active home very happy. Thank you for fostering her. I heard today only that she left for rescue, I was so happy, poor thing has been there for months :(

pbpatti
October 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I am sure that Geenie will flourish in your home. All she needs is some love and discipline and probably lots of exercise to burn off the urge to pace. Thanks for taking her into your home to care for.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Oh, MM, she's a lovely little girl! :flirt: Looks like she's already pacing less. Or at least exhausted from all the excitement of getting herself a foster home. :D

Thank you for being her :angel:

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2009, 02:18 AM
She sure is adorable :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for a easy rehab & finding her furever home soon

Macomom
October 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
Rottielover, what a small world! Genie came to our house on Saturday night. She is calming really well. She spends the night on cushions on the floor of my bedroom and she sleeps very quietly. She runs like the wind- I take her to an offleash fenced in area near my house and she just runs and runs and runs. At one point I saw her jump over Darby, my Rottie, like she was a hurdle- she just flew straight over her. Please tell everyone that she is doing really well. She is putting on weight and really calming down-

Rottielover
October 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM
i AM GOING TODAY TO DOG WALK, SO i WILL DEFINETLY BRING UP THAT SHE IS BEING FOSTERED BY A GEAT PERSON, AND SOMEONE WHO WILL FIND HER THE PERFECT HOME, AND THAT SHE IS SAFE AND CALMING DOWN :) oops sorry for the caps

Macomom
October 21st, 2009, 07:38 AM
lol Rottielover, I thought you were just being really enthusiastic with all the CAPS about telling them Genie is doing well...lol

bendyfoot
October 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
About time!!! :p

She IS a cutie, but OMG what a horrible coat!!! And so thin!!! I'm glad she's on a top-notch diet now, she'll be gleaming in no time. :thumbs up And yeah, DW would never go for it (I tried).

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
She has such a wonderful smile! It looks like she's happy to be in your home.

mastifflover
October 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
She is a cutie and I am sure will flourish in your home. Good luck

Macomom
October 21st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hey Bendy,
The first coat was before I "furminated" her. She had tons and tons of dead fur. Now she does have some shine, but I have no idea how long before I will see progress with her weight. She is tolerating quite big feedings..any thoughts on this?

bendyfoot
October 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Thoughts on the "tolerating" part or on the "time to put on weight" part?

Ohhhh, I would have had soooooo much fun furminatoring that coat. I :lovestruck: my furminator.

Macomom
October 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Both- How long will it take to get some weight on her? She is getting 2 feedings a day with 2 cups at each feeding of Orijen and 1/2 can of Wellness wet puppy food. She gets 1 tbsp of oil in eat bowl of kibble, and a few times a week she is getting an egg.
I am working on the Satin balls and also feed her kibble, cheese and some meat during the evening when she comes to me, and or sits...or other random goodness...
Will she gain?

bendyfoot
October 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM
How much does she weigh now? How tall is she compared to, say, Jaida?

Macomom
October 21st, 2009, 10:28 AM
About Jaida's height, and about 30 lbs..

bendyfoot
October 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
OMG!!! :eek::eek::eek: She must be all bone!!!!! :eek:

That much weight isn't going to happen overnight. Probably months. I'm going to guess (just guessing) that if she's prone to anxiety and has shep in her she's going to be a bit harder than some to get weight on her. I'd focus on feeding her as much as appropriate for what her IDEAL weight would be (I'm guessing around 50-60 lbs?) Jaida would just BARELY maintain her already lean physique on 4 heaping cups of orijen a day. I'd either up the puppy food at the two meals or add a third full meal of puppy food mid-day if you can. The satin balls would make a great third meal too, or addition to her normal meals. I would expect to see/feel SOME improvement within two weeks.

Macomom
October 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM
She is all bone. I can see each individual rib and the space between the vertebraes in her back.
I will hurry up and give her some satin balls too...
I have been using Rescue Remedy to calm her down a bit as well as exercise and lots of cuddles. She is calming quite nicely and she eats everything I give her...

Chris21711
October 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Great going on taking this little girl under your wing Macomom :highfive:

Tundra_Queen
October 21st, 2009, 11:22 AM
She is so pretty and I see a shine to her coat. I'm so glad u took her in and she is calming down...poor girl.

Debbie