Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Taking Ziggy to the Vet

diandpat
October 19th, 2009, 11:05 AM
So, poor Ziggy...really isn't feeling well at all :sad:

Friday started with little sneezes, Saturday a little worse, yesterday hardly ate and today has not eaten at all, eyes and nose running and to top it off he just peed in sink and it had a foul smell.:yuck: If it is only rhino then that is fine but my gut tells me there is something else going on. I can't stand to see him so lethargic when he was such a fun bundle of energy when he first got here.
:fingerscr that we can get this under control today. He is such a sweety. :cloud9:

chico2
October 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Oh no,poor little Ziggy:goodvibes::pray::goodvibes::pray:to you and Ziggy:fingerscr

Rottielover
October 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
crossing fingers for you guys, good luck Ziggy

ancientgirl
October 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Poor little guy. Maybe it's just a URI that can be treated with some antibiotics. Please keep us updated!

Love4himies
October 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
It is not uncommon for kitties to get sick just after arriving at a new home. There are many viruses that they have not been exposed to before along with the stress of getting used to a new home.

I am sure he will be just fine and you will have him up and running (and eating) in no time. Just make sure he doesn't go more than 24 hours without eating. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

diandpat
October 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Well, glad I did that. Poor Ziggy had a fever which is why he was not eating and he has lost almost one pound since we brought him home. She has given me antibiotics and eye drops and she is deworming him too.

He was a very good boy at the vet :angel: He came home hungry but I just don't seem to have what he wants to eat:sad: Zuzu, on the other hand, never stops eating :laughing::laughing::laughing: Hopefully he will be feeling better at dinner time and I can get some food into him then :fingerscr

Thanks for your good thoughts...he is a lucky boy to have soooooo many people caring about him :cloud9:

chico2
October 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Aww that sweet little boy,I hope pilling him is not a problem and that he gets better really quick.:cat:

sugarcatmom
October 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Poor Ziggy. I hope he's feeling better soon. Be careful giving antibiotics (which one?) on an empty stomach, they may worsen his inappetance. What does Ziggy normally eat? If his nose is stuffed up, he may not be able to smell his food that well. Since cats largely eat based on smell, this could be part of the problem. Find some nice stinky fishy canned food like Fancy Feast Cod, Shrimp and Sole or Salmon Feast. Or even low sodium tuna or canned salmon or sardines to jump-start his appetite. I'm not a fan of fish as a regular part of a cat's diet, but it can be quite useful when you need to get them eating.

Adding probiotics to his food might also be a good idea, since antibiotics can reak havoc on the intestinal flora, causing digestive issues. Natural Factors Ultimate Multi from a health food store is a good one, and because it's so potent, you only need a teensy amount (like 1/6th a capsule twice a day).

ancientgirl
October 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I'm so glad he's going to be okay.

diandpat
October 19th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Aww that sweet little boy,I hope pilling him is not a problem and that he gets better really quick.:cat:

Pilling him is going to be a big problem...either I have to get real good real quick or he has to cooperate more :laughing: :evil:

Adding probiotics to his food might also be a good idea, since antibiotics can reak havoc on the intestinal flora, causing digestive issues. Natural Factors Ultimate Multi from a health food store is a good one, and because it's so potent, you only need a teensy amount (like 1/6th a capsule twice a day).

Thanks for the suggestions Sugarcatmom, I will try to get some tomorrow or definitely Wed. Going to start using Lysine too as the vet says this can and will come back throughout his life. Pat gets cold sores and uses it and it has made a big difference.

Happy to report that Mr. Ziggy is getting back to normal already :cloud9: So happy! He ate very well at dinner, starting exploring again and has come down twice for cuddles. Also, for the first time he swatted at Zuzu instead of submitting :laughing::laughing::laughing: She was shocked!!! I think they are going to be fine too :thumbs up I think he is going to be just fine...phew!

Thanks for all the good vibes and all the help...I could not do this without all you folks and all your knowledge and advice

clm
October 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Great news! Way to go Ziggy!

clm

Frenchy
October 19th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Good boy Ziggy ! :thumbs up

14+kitties
October 19th, 2009, 09:24 PM
WTG Ziggy!! I am so glad to hear that he is doing better so fast. It's certainly a scary thing when kitties get so sick so fast. And good for him for sticking up to Zuzu. Now they can get on with getting along. :thumbs up

chico2
October 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
When we pilled Vinnie,we used a pillshooter,one person held him and the other put the pill in,after that you keep his mouth closed and rub his throat lightly until he swallows.
If it's a small capsule it's easier.

It's great he's feeling better so soon and showing Zuzu he's the man:laughing:

diandpat
October 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM
So Ziggy was all stuffed up, goopy eyes and not eating again this a.m.

I had to leave for work after secluding him in the "recovery" room with his food, water, litter and music. Pat just messaged that he LOVES scrambled eggs and cheese. Ate it all up. No idea if this is good bad or indifferent for cats but at least he can get his syringe of metacam now and hopefully get the fever down so he can eat a proper dinner.

Wow, this is really something...hope we are doing everything right for him. He goes from A1 to lethargic so quickly...is this normal?

Thanks again for all your help and good wishes. Gonna be a LONG day at work until I get home to see him with my own eyes :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm thinking the eggs are okay, but I'm not sure about the cheese. Cheese is usually pretty salty, but I'd think just a little would be ok. I give my gang scrambled eggs now and then, and Vlad and Oksana love cheese, so I share.

I hope you figure out what's wrong with him. He must have some bug.

Love4himies
October 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Why is he on metacam, that is a pain reliever :confused:? Metacam is not the safest drug to use on cats and should only be used if nothing else is available and for only a day or two.

Eggs are just fine for cats :thumbs up, he will need his daily taurine so I would not feed him just eggs. Have you tried raw meat?

Does he seem to have pain walking? Any limping?

chico2
October 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I think as with people,if you have a cold,the worst is always when you wake up and he would be better later on.
But of course that means he's still not well.
My cats do not like eggs,but being a cheese lover myself,I let them have just a tiny piece.
How old is Ziggy,I think I have to go back and check..
So he's 3 yrs old,not really a kitten,then he will be stronger to fight this problem.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2009, 10:54 PM
How is Ziggy this evening, diandpat? Did he have a good day? :goodvibes: