Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Would a vet actually say this?

Gail P
October 19th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I came across the following ad just a few minutes ago:

"Hello, I am posting this for a friend. She has a Bernese Mountain Dog that she is looking to breed. Her vet has told her that it would be best if she had a litter of puppies prior to getting her fixed. She would like a larger breed. please contact me at the email adress given for more information. Thank you"

I can't believe a vet would be making a recommendation like that (unless there is some medical reason in this particular case :shrug: ) Do you think the vet really said that or do you think the people made that up, knowing what kind of flak they're going to get and so they're saying "but the vet told me to..."

Bailey_
October 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
To be honest, this doesn't surprise me and I wouldn't be shocked if her vet really did reccomend it.

I've had more than a few people claim that their vet advised them to breed once before spaying on the instruction that it reduces ovarian and uterine cancer etc. (Obviously we all know spaying is the sure way to secure that.)

If you get one vet that is looking out for profit over dogs well-being , I can completley see this happening - looking forward to the vet costs that the owner would incur for a healthy pregnancy, not to mention the expense of having the pups checked out and given shots afterwards. Of course this is all assuming that the vet actually DID tell her this, and not just an excuse to breed her dog.

14+kitties
October 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM
If a vet actually told someone this then that :loser: of a vet deserves to have his/her license yanked. In these days of overpopulation .......... :frustrated::yell:!!!

ancientgirl
October 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I can't see any reputable vet saying this. Especially since I know many times vets already have animals left on their doorstep or brought in as strays. I can't see them advocating more homeless animals.

meow
October 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
well....you are hearing from someone who went to a horrible horrible vet who committed horrible horrible acts against my cat. when simba was on a feeding tube a different vet told me they would put her down! Many vets are total JERKS! I trust VERY LITTLE of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my sweet kitty here with me now. sooooo glad i didn't listen!

Frenchy
October 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Some vets are not up to date ..... some still believe this *****.

It's like when they push their food on you saying it's the best for your pets .... yea .... right ..... a bag of corn will be super good for my pets :rolleyes:

Ryan48
October 31st, 2009, 11:03 AM
I have heard many people say this same thing. Like it makes the bitch have a better personality or something.
Said by people that have no ideal how many animals are homeless already in this world.
RM

cell
October 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
I'm sure if the lines were read between its "before you spay your dog you should breed her and then bring her in for 1 or 2 check ups, and get this puppy mix formula food and then bring the pups in to get the dew claws off and then come back to get de-wormed and vaccinated once or twice, then give the pups to your neighbors and let them know that I have already been treating them..." you see where that's going...

Gail P
November 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
I guess 'cause my own vet would never make such a recommendation I was a little disbelieving. You'd think that vets of all people would (a) know better, and (b) show more ethics than that. :sad:

These people that want to breed to "whatever" are driving me nuts. I've been browsing some ads, keeping my eyes open for an inexpensive spare crate and keep coming across stuff like this. The last one was just looking for a stud dog of any kind as their female was coming into heat any day. I replied to their ad with nothing more than "Look here:http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15343" (linked to "My Name is Sam") Doubt it would have an impact on someone like that but worth a try.