Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tux's abode+my 3 enjoying the sun..

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Vinnie"Let me in mom,let me in"seconds later Let me out mom:cat:

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Rocky doing what he does best,basking in the sun,smart boy!!

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Then Chico,in total treatmode,gimme,gimme..

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I really like this one of Vinnie..then the second one he's inside and I am out,turned out kind of fun.

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
We did our best with Tux's wintershelter,don't forget we are novices at this.it's a larger box with a smaller inside.
The walls,top and bottom have styrofoam and straw.
At the bottom inside I also put one of those silvery emerg.blankets,topped with a lot of straw.
The other pic is his feeding-place,but it will get better when winter comes along,we'll make him something with more protection.
There is never any snow where his house is,so he should be ok,if he goes in:pray:

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2009, 02:06 PM
:laughing: The dogs have that "it's always greener on the other side of the door" syndrome, too, chico--so it's not just Vinnie. I must say that he makes a very handsome door decoration! :flirt:

Your boys are all handsome, though--you must be in cuteness overload all the time. :lovestruck:

Love Tux's shelter! Think he'll go in there? Sounds really cozy and warm!

ancientgirl
October 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
As always your boys all look so handsome.

That house you made for Tux looks pretty safe. Has he gone inside?

Melinda
October 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
that house is great!!! Tux should be nice and comfy in there

growler~GateKeeper
October 18th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Really nice 2nd shot of Chico :thumbs up very panther-esque :cat:

Tux's house sounds like a great place to hole up for the winter & :sleepy:

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
We will cover Tux's house with something later,it's right under our eaves,between the house and a cedar.
But how do I get him to go in?? Throw in a little cat-nip???
This is not his first winter outside,I saw him around last winter,but could not get him to come here:sad:
Now he crosses the street at the same time every day,he looks from side to side before he crosses,eats an awful lot of food and goes back again.
I would sooo love to show him some love,show him life can be good,but I doubt that will happen.

Did anybody notice the beautiful colors of the vine in the pic with Vinnie?

chico2
October 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Growler,Chico is anything but a panther:laughing:he's a huge love-bug,loves cuddles and kisses 24/7,well,they really are all the same,Chico maybe a bit more:lovestruck:

mikischo
October 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Great pictures of your three handsome boys sunning themselves! :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

I've been watching for an update on Tux! Nice house!:thumbs up Is it located close to his feeding station?

I think putting something inside the shelter to entice him is a great idea. Could use some catnip and maybe also an irresistable stinky treat like tuna or sardines. You might want to put the treat just outside the door for a couple of days and then put it inside. Also I'm wondering if you might have better luck if you tape the weather flaps up to expose the hole at first. Once he gets used to going inside and understands that it is safe and warmer than the outdoors, you could then let the flaps back down. On the other hand, maybe Tux will just know that this little house is for him and won't need any encouragement.

You are an :angel: for looking out for Tux.

Melei'sMom
October 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Your Kitty Herd is just precious:lovestruck:
I love Vinnie's eyes!

Love4himies
October 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Sweet, sweet Vinnie :cloud9: :lovestruck:, he just wants the door left open so he can come and go as he pleases.

Chico is looking so sleek :cloud9: :lovestruck: and Rocky, like a kitty just relaxing and enjoying life. :lovestruck:

That is a great house, chico :thumbs up. I bet Tux is going to just love it.

edwina
October 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Such a lovely bunch :cloud9:
Did you ever get a pic of Tux ? I dont remember seeing him :o

krdahmer
October 18th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Tux's set up looks great, hopefully that'll keep him close by and away from danger! And as always the boys look uber handsome!!!! :lovestruck: I love the one of Vinnie with his paw on the door!

14+kitties
October 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM
That pic of Vinnie surrounded by those wonderful leaves! :cloud9: Sooooo pretty!! Err, handsome. :o Sorry Vinnie.
Love seeing all the boys as usual. They are some of the best looking kitties I have ever seen. I love them all.
Great job on the shelter for Tux! :thumbs up I'm sure once he gets used to it he will love it. I know the approximate area it is in. You said he goes back there occasionally. So some smelly tuna near the opening and just inside may do the trick to get him inside. It's marvelous!! And you doubted yourself! I had no doubt at all you could do it mf!!
What are you planning on putting over it? A brick or two on the top to keep it from moving on gusty nights will help. It's great you built it now. It will give him time to get used to it before the really cold weather comes. Let's hope now he uses it. :fingerscr

onster
October 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
chico, ure such a sweetie. You and your hubby have done a great job with the shelter, i hope your tux uses it :)

And as for your sweeties, looking as great and as cute as ever!:cloud9:

chico2
October 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thank's everyone,yesterday I got within a couple of feet of Tux as I delivered his food,I talked to him and he kept closing his eyes.
I know I told 14+there is nothing wrong with his jaws,but yesterday as I was so close,I could see his jaws are crooked:sad:
He definitely has no problems eating though.

His eating place is right across from his"house"I am going to tape up the flap,since it's not that cold outside and see if he goes in.

14+we will put a brick on top,probably a cover of some sort too when it gets snowy.
Should it be sitting on bricks too,or is it ok with only the layer of straw???
Here are his bad pics again,taken through the window.

ancientgirl
October 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Aww, Chico. It breaks my heart knowing he's out there, especially if he's got a problem with his jaw. At least he has you to feed him and give him shelter.

mikischo
October 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thank's everyone,yesterday I got within a couple of feet of Tux as I delivered his food,I talked to him and he kept closing his eyes.

That is wonderful that he let you get that close.:thumbs up In your previous thread you said he wouldn't let you get closer than 10 feet. Seems he is beginning to trust you more and more. I have always thought that if a cat closes his eyes when you talk, it is a sign of trust and contentment.:highfive:

:sad: about his jaw but most likely an old injury. Good that it doesn't affect his eating.

Tux looks like a sweet boy!:lovestruck:

diandpat
October 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Way to go Chico...that is a beautiful "kitty condo" :thumbs up You have done a great job and I am sure he will come to trust you too. You have a good soul and animals pick up on that :angel: that is one lucky cat :lovestruck:

chico2
October 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I already love this little guy,wish I could do more for him:sad:
He needs to be neutered for sure(if he isn't already),his tail is never up,so I have not been able to check,but I also worry,if I trap him,he'll lose the bit of trust he has in me.
I am pretty sure,our HS has a trap/neuter/release program,but what if they wont release him back here,what if they feel he needs to be put down:sad:
I still have to talk to them and I am dragging my feet..

Love4himies
October 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It just breaks my heart to see Tux :cry:. I wish I could take him in, but Puddles really couldn't handle the stress of another cat. Sweet Pea attacked her again last night :sad:

14+kitties
October 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
He needs to be neutered for sure(if he isn't already),his tail is never up,so I have not been able to check,but I also worry,if I trap him,he'll lose the bit of trust he has in me.
I am pretty sure,our HS has a trap/neuter/release program,but what if they wont release him back here,what if they feel he needs to be put down:sad:
I still have to talk to them and I am dragging my feet..

Chico - If you need to borrow my trap please let me know. I am willing to take Tux to the rescue I work through to get him fixed. I am not entirely sure any HS does a T/N/R program. I could be in pretty quickly if you managed to trap him. Last time you had the trap set up he avoided it, didn't he?

chico2
October 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
L4H,oh no,I am not asking anyone to take him,of course I would love to see him in a home,but I doubt that is possible:sad:
Who'd adopt him with his crooked face:sad:I have no idea how old his is,he most likely has been on his own for a couple of years,if not more..

My biggest fear is,he would get trapped by some evil people in the town-house complex,who are trapping cats and nobody knows what they do with them after that.
There are several cats there who are leftovers from idiots who leave them behind.:sad:

I went over to the Townhouses to ask about Tux,if he belongs to someone,but was told,he is known as the mean cat,who fights..
That is so stupid,my cats would probably fight too,if they had no food,no home.

Tux has shown no hostility towards me,but then again,I've never been able to touch him.
I believe there is no such thing as a mean cat,only a desperate cat.

14+,years ago when I had George(another stray)come here every day,our HS let me have a trap and they said they would do t/n/r with him,but that was many years ago.
He was too darn smart to go in to any trap and one day,just did not come back:sad:

Last year when I trapped the grey/white cat,Tux was right there,kept his distance,but saw the other kitty being taken away.
I think he is very street-smart,the way he sits and watches the cars go by,looks side to side,until it's safe to cross,but of course one day,he might misjudge the speed of the cars:sad:

I also do not want to bother you,you certainly have enough on your plate,if you want,I can come out to see you and we can talk about it,ok.
Thank's everyone for listening to my rants:grouphug:

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Chico, my heart is breaking for this poor guy. I'd take him in a minute if I could afford it, crooked jaw and all.:sad:

mikischo
October 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Chico, I understand your concerns about losing the trust Tux is just beginning to have in you. I would have the same concerns. Besides you mentioned that at this point in time it is unlikely that he could be lured into a trap anyway.

I have no idea what kind of TNR program you have in your area but I would be careful. There is indeed a realistic possibility they might not release him back, if they deem him to be adoptable (not "truly" feral) or for other reasons :frustrated:. I am basing my thoughts on how the program here in Winnipeg is run. Don't know anything about how other TNR programs are run, but I would assume they are similar. Although more costly, the advantage of taking Tux to a regular vet is that you will remain the decision-maker for him at all times. I would be inclined to accept that sweet :angel:14+'s generous offer to help out when the time comes to take him in for vetting. Only you can decide when that time will be. Just my :2cents:

:goodvibes: :goodvibes:that Tux soon decides that your yard and his little house is a better place to spend his time than at the housing complex.

:2huggers:You are doing a great job with Tux.:thumbs up

chico2
October 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Mikischo,thank you for your kind words.
I don't think HS would deem him adoptable,more likely they would have him put down,but being a no-kill shelter,Tux might also end up spending his life in a case and in that case he's better off here.
He is only one stray in thousands,but every little bit helps,every life saved is important.
I agree with you though,14+is a true kitty-angel:thumbs up

14+kitties
October 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
chico - You know you don't have to ask to come for a visit! Any time my friend. I will pm you once I find out what days I have next week, ok?
Kearn and Calysta are getting big enough they should be able to go in and get fixed soon. If we can arrange everything to coincide I would love to add Tux to the list. I'm sure even if your HS will do a t/n/r they will still charge you an arm and a leg. The rescue doesn't. :cloud9:
We'll talk soon. :thumbs up

krdahmer
October 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
And if you want to try putting out more than one trap... I have one. And if I'm off I'll join ya at Gerri's too! Tux might surprise you .... look at Gerri's Jupiter! I find that male cats even if they've been out for a long time, tend to come around to people (good trustworthy cat people anyhow) eventually. Papa cat was like that too.... so you never know. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something for him! :goodvibes:

chico2
October 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Had to leave for a few minutes,the cats were causing a stir,guess why,Tux was here..he's only been here in the morning once before.
I went out in my robe with some food,my slippers got all wet:laughing:he hid behind the neighbors fence,but as I hunkered down he slowly approached.
He was close enough for me to touch him,but he shied away from my hand,,no rush,I don't want to scare him.

To him,a humane hand is probably not a good thing:sad:
Thank's Dahmer and 14+:thumbs upOne of the problems I have,I cannot keep him to recuperate in my house..

14+kitties
October 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
That is fantastic he is starting to trust you enough to approach!! Good job m/f!!
If he is coming in the morning soon I bet he will be there most of the time. That would be marvelous!!!!
Males don't need a lot of recuperation time. As you know their operations are as invasive as girls are. I would be more than willing to set up a crate in the garage for a week so he could recoup and then bring him back in to you if that is what you want to do. I imagine he would not mind some quiet rest time.

chico2
October 21st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Dahmer,I think one trap would be enough,but thank you for offering.:grouphug:
14+I can come next week any day except Wednesday or Thursday,another trip to Toronto General with my son:frustrated:I take him back to his house Thursday.

I am sure Tux keeps going back to the townhouse complex,because that's where he once lived until they moved and left him behind:sad:
I was told people throw things at him and chase him away,his jaw damaged more than likely from a kick or hit.
I know if you see his crooked face you'd love him:cat:as much as I do.
14+I'll write you a pm.

14+kitties
October 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Pm'd back. :D
You are right chico. If I see his poor face I probably will fall in love. His pics are already doing it for me.
Thank you for being you and helping him out as much as you do. You are his :angel: for sure. Without you he would probably be dead. :grouphug:

Winston
October 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Chico you are such a sweetheart! and I think Tux is a handsome dude! crooked mouth and all! he will learn to trust you! and thank goodness he can trust someone! Do you know for sure he has no home? that is so truly sad! that someone could move away and leave him behind...how long do you think he has been on his own? I wonder if someone lets him come in their home in the winter? :sad:

I am positive a great solution will come out of this boy! with you and 14+ how could it not!

My heart breaks for him! I hope he doesnt keep coming around where the boys are thats all you need for another attack!!

Good luck mf! :thumbs up

chico2
October 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Winston,I am sure he has been on his own,at least since last winter.
I used to see him on our walks with Bailey,he would lay in the winter-sun trying to get warm.
Being nosy,as I am,I knocked on doors and asked if they knew if he has a home in many places.
Especially the house on the road behind me,where I know she had 3 cats,she could not care less about a sickly(at the time)Tux.
I don't understand how you can profess to love cats and not care.

This morning(7am),with Rocky eating his brekki in the open hall-way window,I looked out and there is Tux.
Rocky did not react violently,not as long as Tux does not make a sound,but still I am very careful,watch Rockys body-language and close the door.
I cannot be sure,but maybe Tux is sleeping in his house:confused::fingerscr
I gave him a can of food and off he went,he did not approach me this morning,kept a safe distance.

ancientgirl
October 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Maybe your guys are getting used to him being around.

chico2
October 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Could be,A-G because Tux is in no way threatening,I have yet to hear a sound from him..