Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oh No! Butt Matts!

onster
October 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I always wondered why people trimmed their cats furry bottoms, ive only ever had to clean bunduks fur 2/3 times ever.

Well now I know. I came home to him having intense butt matts on both sides!!!!

Onnie's been slacking on the grooming I can see :rolleyes:

I have to wait till someone comes home (bro and mom are out) so I can snip them...i want someone to hold him down. I tried combing them out at first..yeaaaah he didnt like it. He doesnt even like me touching them.

onster
October 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
im beginning to seriously consider taking him with me...

my mom usually brushes him though (more than I do!) so Im surprised he got these matts and in such s short period too! He did not have them on Tuesday!! :shrug:

onster
October 16th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well, got one side out with mom's help. Still have the other, worse off side. Were gonna try again at another time he was getting waaaaay too squirmy/ ticked off at me snipping at his behind.

Any of bunduk's fans want some of his 'hair'? :rolleyes:

Weird you couldnt tell he had matts on the surface but theyre actually quite big...well quite wide..just not extending all the way through his fur. I hope matts arent something im gonna have to start dealing with now!

one of the matts

are the scissors gone???

another matt..see theyre quite small..but wide...theres actually still some matting left on that side.

seriously how could this happen in 3 days?!?

hazelrunpack
October 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Setters can mat in three days, so I feel your pain. If I insert one scissors blade between skin and mat and snip through the mat lengthwise a few times, it's much easier to comb out. It sometimes almost falls apart if you cut it that way, and it seems to pull the skin less. Plus you don't have to worry about cutting the skin accidentally, either, since you're always cutting along the line of the hair growth and not snipping toward the skin.

I just had to pull a belly mat and a couple of ear mats off Macie yesterday--it had been too wet to brush them well for the three days prior and those mats will take advantage of the weather to reproduce :frustrated:

14+kitties
October 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah, mats form quickly!! I noticed when I had Meowzer at the vet the other day that he had a couple small ones on his side. I have to work on them. Ms. Atty mats really badly in the winter. I will be spending a day off soon just combing and clipping claws. Lots of fun!!!
Maybe you could just try to keep his butt a little trimmed but normally once it's done once the tend to look after themselves a little better. They don't like scissors coming close. :eek:

Dee-O-Gee
October 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I hear y'all on the mats. Gryphon has a few on his hind feathers that I have to snip and comb out this weekend. :frustrated:

I just booked him and Mollie's Christmas "Spit and Shine" appointment today with the groomer in December so hopefully, I can keep them both semi-presentable till then. :thumbs up

onster
October 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
14+, I wish i were closer, i would totally love to help you out even with things like nail clipping. But somehow i think half the kitty cats would not be as charmed by me as they are by u, our kitty whisperer as chico says

hazel, i think getting matts out of dogs might be easier because at least u can tell them to sit stay, right? I cant tell bunduk anyting :rolleyes: also id understand dogs getting matts more than cats..they dont groom themselves,...at least i dont think they do??

Klm, i hope u have better success than I did!!!

onster
October 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
And the matt still isnt out :yell::yell: actually these pictures make it look much better than it is. In real life he's got quite the bald spot :o i was so afraid to snip off his furry little friends!!!

Love4himies
October 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Those look like Puddles' mats. They form very quickly, I swear overnight sometimes :frustrated:. She doesn't get as many now that she is on part raw, but still gets them.

I trim her fur right down in the spring when she starts shedding (not a pretty sight :laughing:), that keeps her mat free for the summer, and she loves it. Now, in the fall, I just cut out the mats as they form. She hates getting brushed unless it is with a human hair brush, but that doesn't get through to the undercoat which is the cause of the mats.

edwina
October 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Oggie gets bad matts down his back every year over winter. :sad: I have to shear him like a sheep in the spring. :laughing:
When i get the brush out, he doesnt stay still for long. :rolleyes:

Jim Hall
October 22nd, 2009, 09:16 PM
we pent 50 bucks on manda for a bath and a butt clip it is great no more scooots no more poop matts yhe trick is to get those wide ones before the get down to the skin a bath doesnt hurt either. well maybe the hoomans will