Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Poor Baby Bunduk

onster
October 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM
He was such a snugglebum this long weekend :lovestruck:, stuck by me all the time.

However Sat night i had some friends over and brought out one of those side tables to put some refreshments on for my guests. Bunduk came over and chomped down the corner, we literally heard a crack...my friends and I at first were like "holy cr@p" but I explained bunduk's pica and we all laughed cuz he was all "hey whats up" :rolleyes:. But then on closer inspection he actually took a piece of the oak right off!!! a whole corner. There was blood on the wood too. He seemed ok though :shrug:

I think his pica is getting worse :sad: He's stopped chewing on wires but now loves all things wood and metal - ouch!

His breath is also getting quite stinky..noticed that this weekend too. I think time for a vet visit...*sigh*

onster
October 14th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Oh and here's a pic of the lil bugger earlier from this weekend too. Unfortunately the flash didnt serve him well, nor does my choke hold :rolleyes: My mom was too slow with the cam :p I wanted a pic to put up on my laptop but I think this is a fail (currently i have one w Onnie)...ahh well.

growler~GateKeeper
October 14th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Ah poor Bunduk ouch! :grouphug:

Do you think the pica is getting worse with you gone all week? :cat:

Cute pic :cloud9:

Tundra_Queen
October 14th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Poor bunduk. What is pica?

ancientgirl
October 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Poor little guy. I hope he's okay. I love the photo!

Dee-O-Gee
October 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Poor little guy. :grouphug: :grouphug:'s on a speedy recovery and BTW...love the pic! :thumbs up

onster
October 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Ah poor Bunduk ouch! :grouphug:

Do you think the pica is getting worse with you gone all week? :cat:

Cute pic :cloud9:

actually if anything, according to my mom, he is more low key when I am away. He mopes pretty much..she keeps telling me to take him with me but I just come back home too often, he'd be stressed and sometimes im campus from 8am to 10pm...he'd be all alone.

Poor bunduk. What is pica?

obsessive compulsive chewing disorder...he's had since he's a kitten. Basically chews a lot of items that arent food.

Poor little guy. I hope he's okay. I love the photo!

I hope so too! I noticed his gums are all puffy and red again..le sigh. Thanks re: the photo...i like me in it ( i loooove that blue colour of the top), but i think it doesnt do bunduk justice.

onster
October 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Poor little guy. :grouphug: :grouphug:'s on a speedy recovery and BTW...love the pic! :thumbs up

thanks klm :grouphug: he doesnt show any pain but i mean..it must hurt, no?

14+kitties
October 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Youch!!!!! That must have hurt!! Sounds like teeth cleaning time again. Poor little guy. Guess that comes with biting stuff you shouldn't. Too bad you can't bet him chewing a piece of raw meat or something good for him. A chicken neck or something to help clean his teeth.
Love the photo!! Look at you losing weight and everything!! :thumbs up You are gorgeous!!! Poor Bunduk looks like he just wants to get down! :D

Love4himies
October 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Poor Bunduk. :sad: :grouphug:

Have you tried giving him chicken breast bones to munch on? It would clean his teeth and give him something to satisfy his chewing craving?

edwina
October 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Poor bunduk :sad:
:grouphug::grouphug:

Macomom
October 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Poor Bunduk. Do they medicate cats with antidepressants they way they do people who suffer from this disorder? Pica can be very dangerous...

onster
October 15th, 2009, 02:10 PM
14+, I tried raw chicken with him before (necks and liver/kidney/heart) but he kinds just licks it and only eats the chicken if I cut it really small...didn't touch the neck at all. And then he had explosive diarrhea :yuck: as in all over the wall behind the litter box. he hasnt actually ever had a teeth cleaning the vet said he was still very young and it wasnt that bad :shrug: she just have antibiotics for 2 whole weeks!!! and told me to brush his teeth. He loves the brushing but admittingly i got a little lax about it :o and now i can only do it once/twice a week when Im there on the weekends. I'm thinking she may prescribe antibiotics again but it seems like he's been on antibiotics so much for his 3 years of life. With me he's had at least 5 2 week long antibiotic prescriptions thus far. heavy duty stuff too. :sad:

and thanks, i'm trying to lose more weight but having hard time getting into the groove at the gym again (different location). I miss my waterloo gym :sad:

L4H yeah, like i explained to 14+ it didnt realy work out. I even bought these mouse toys that have like netting around them thats supposed to help with teeth. I got some puppy teeth chews like sticks...he likes them but then I think theyre too hard for a cat and id see some blood on them so i stopped giving them to him. They should make stuff specifically for cats!

thanks edwina.

Macomom, i wasnt aware that humans could also suffer from pica? I know it can be dangerous because bunduk has electrocuted himself before. Mostly now (since we are so aware of wires and electrical/ have that covered), I worry about his poor teeth. I think he will end up losing them :sad: My vet never discussed medications though....antidepressants? he's not depressed though :shrug: I think that would take all the 'bunduk' out of my bunduk....do u know what I mean?

I honestly honestly think he was just separated from his mom too young. He was found on the streets alone at about 7 weeks, adopted, returned and the adopted by me at 4 months. At 4 months the only sign was he liked to suckle on your earlobe before sleeping but it progresed from there. Apart from the pica, he gets very upset when he's alone (part of why i cant take him with me). Say he falls asleep in my room with me and then I get up and leave,.go downstairs. As soon as he wakes up you will know because he will just cry and cry and meow these looooong pitiful deep meows. As soon as you go and pick him up or just enter the room and touch him, he's fine. He doesnt even have to have fallen asleep...if he just suddenly realizes he's alone anywhere he does that. Of course not all the time (that would be really annoying!!) but at t least 2-3 times per day. Thats why I say he really is my baby...

I make it sound like he's really annoying or something but he's really not. He just has some personality quirks, which sometimes may be challenging, but we love him for it!

Macomom
October 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hello Onster,

I grabbed this from Wikipedia, but I remember being warned about Pica when I was pregnant...

Pica is seen in all ages, particularly in pregnant women, small children, and those with developmental disabilities.

Pica in children, while common, can be dangerous. In addition to poisoning, there is also a much greater risk of gastro-intestinal obstruction or tearing in the stomach. This is also true in animals. Another risk of dirt eating is the possible ingestion of animal feces and the accompanying parasites. Pica can also be found in animals, and is most commonly found in dogs.

I know they treat a wide range of compulsive disorders with antidepressants to lessen the symptoms, perhaps Prozac might work. I have heard of Prozac being administered to dogs/cats before.
Just a thought...

Tundra_Queen
October 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Oh Onster I didn't know that Bunduk's chewing was a disease, I just thought he liked chewing on cords. Doesn't he like being around your other cat so he's not alone? Poor Bunduk.

Debbie

onster
October 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
macomom, very interesting, thaks for letting me know.

Tundra_queen..yep unfortunately its a bit more than him just liking to chew..