Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

small dogs

jindo4life
August 21st, 2004, 09:39 PM
whats a good small dog that is good for beginners?

Cinnabear
August 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
For beginners, there is no such thing. I think its whether you prefer a small or big dog. They all need obedience and training. They all have an abundance of love to give.

There's bichons, poodles, chihihuas, lhasa apsos, shi tzus. minature pinchers and then don't forget about cross breeds too.

Freyja
August 21st, 2004, 10:04 PM
Hey Jindo,
Are you thinking about getting a second dog or did I miss something while I was away?

Cactus Flower
August 21st, 2004, 10:42 PM
I could have sworn you had your hands full with your "jindo".....

jindo4life
August 21st, 2004, 11:00 PM
really cactus? if your not gonna give tips then dont say anything

jindo4life
August 21st, 2004, 11:01 PM
no duh i have a jindo, hes trained an all, my friend is looking for one so im asking yall? you gotta be so negative? i guess you do. If you ever have kids, i would feel sorry for them if you treat em like this.

jindo4life
August 21st, 2004, 11:02 PM
the reason why i didnt reply in so long is becuase i was working my butt of with jin and did the extra mile. becuase of the positivie ppl here they gave me hope. God i hate people like you cactus. You really make me sick

Lucky Rescue
August 21st, 2004, 11:06 PM
Hey! That's a little uncalled for. Cactus Flower said nothing that merited a response like that.

jindo4life
August 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM
for example: a poodle would be a great small dog pet for ppl that are allergic to dogs. They could get a poodle becuase they have hair.

I need some answers like this.
( THIS IS NOT FOR ME FOR THE LAST TIME )

He needs a small dog for beginners:
for example: Golden trievers are great for beginning dog trainers becuase of their playfulness, good with kid
Jindo: are not good for beginners becuase they are strict to one master only and have an independet mind

I need answers like those
not negative comments like always

Lucky Rescue
August 21st, 2004, 11:13 PM
We can't answer you until we know what kind of lifestyle someone has. If they want a running partner, or a couch potato it makes a big difference.

We have to know how much time the dog will be alone, how much time the owner wants to devote to training and exercise, etc.

Cactus Flower
August 21st, 2004, 11:31 PM
Thank you, LuckyRescue :)

Wow, that's quite an uproar over one little sentence, jindo. Are you having a bad day?

(I'm curious- have you written me any emails lately?)

Maybe your friend could post with all of the info that the good folks on here need in order to answer your question.

jindo4life
August 21st, 2004, 11:57 PM
He is a senior in school. He wants companion ship and to get stress off his mind. He wants a couch potato and a running partner. He lives pretty decently and lives a couple of blocks down.

Writing4Fun
August 22nd, 2004, 12:05 AM
He wants a small dog who is a couch potato but will also be a running partner? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but can small dogs be running partners?? :confused:

When you say he is a senior in school, do you mean he's over 65 and back in school, or he is in his senior year? Again, sorry if these are stupid questions.

glasslass
August 22nd, 2004, 12:16 AM
Jindo, welcome back, but lose the chip! It's only natural for us to be curious. We were all concerned about you before and wondered how things were going. Go easy on us, ok? It's hard to recommend a dog without knowing a little about the prospective owner first. Chill!

Cinnabear
August 22nd, 2004, 12:36 AM
but can small dogs be running partners??

Definately, my lhasa apso/terrier is a great exercise partner. He is fast . He will surpass my biking ability. And he has alot of gusto. But I wouldn't get anything under 12 lbs., there legs would be to small to catch up.

But that was uncalled Jindo to Cactus Flower.

Look at cross breeds at the shelter. It may take some time accustomising the dog to run. All dogs like to be coach potatoes for awhile. By the sounds of it your friend would want an older dog.

goldenblaze
August 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM
When you say he is a senior in school, do you mean he's over 65 and back in school, or he is in his senior year? Again, sorry if these are stupid questions.

I have to say no matter what type of day I am having from boys, work or whatever the great part is I can come here to a discussion that always help me laugh :)

That is very funny Writing4Fun... :) Thank You!

Catt31
August 22nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
My thoughts exactly Laura!!!! :rolleyes:

Cflat
August 22nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
If someone were to ask me what type of dog would be a good first dog, I'd be at a loss. I will say that my experience would be that a small dog would not necessarily be a good choice. They can be harder to housebreak and can be willfull. A Jack Russell, as an extreme example, would be a terrible choice.
You say your friend is a "senior", and I assume in school. I would say tell them to wait until they are more settled and able to give attention to a dog the way they need it.

Writing4Fun
August 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Cinnabear, sorry about that! :o No offense to folks with smaller dogs. I just didn't think they had the stamina to jog for 5-6 miles. I guess when someone says "small dog", I'm picturing a toy breed - and watching them run with their little legs going a mile a minute - I just didn't think they had it in them.

Goldenblaze, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hey, it was an honest question. Stupid, but honest. :rolleyes:

Cactus Flower
August 23rd, 2004, 12:16 AM
"Stupid"? I think not.