Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten loosing/missing whiskers

Taury
August 21st, 2004, 04:53 PM
We've recently adopted a kitten, from a local Orphan Kitten group. She's had her 1st and 2nd shots and the vet gave her a clean bill of health. She's about 10-12 weeks old, anyway we've noticed she's missing some of her whiskers (eyebrow ones), first we noticed a couple of them appeared to be broken off but now she's totally missing them over her right eye. Is this normal? will they grow back?
I've been searching the web (that's how I found this site) but I can't find anything mentioning that this might be a normal occurence.
Thanks,

glasslass
August 21st, 2004, 04:59 PM
I don't know. I can only tell you that my Puss-Puss has lost whiskers and eyebrows and they always seem to come back eventually. I don't worry about it. She's 15 years old. We've had her since she was about 3 months. :)

chico2
August 21st, 2004, 08:00 PM
I just checked my cats and my Rocky has none left over his left eye but I am sure they'll grow back,he plays rough and tumble with Vinnie...not surprised if he lost them,so don't worry your kitty will be ok :D

krdahmer
August 21st, 2004, 11:46 PM
Ditto....not to worry I have found them around the house and noticed them missing on my cats, and they always seem to grow back. I also found out that they lose baby teeth too, I wasn't aware of that when Windy's fell out as we were play fighting and she was gnawing on my hand. I called the vet cause I thought I had knocked her teeth out! She said that was normal, just that we usually don't see the teeth because they swallow them. (Just in case you needed to know that ;) )

iRONKNiGHT
August 22nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
I also found out that they lose baby teeth, Windy's tooth fell out as we were play fighting and she was gnawing on my hand. (Just in case you needed to know that ;) )

LOL funny Trixy did the same thing too my hand a few days ago and i got her tooth a nice one too! i'm keeping it LOL she's 4 months 3 weeks and the size of a normal adult female cat..
i noticed on her right eyebrow's the little wiskers hair's are gone but that's from her galloping up and down the house going vertical and doing "summersaults". :p

krdahmer
August 22nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
LOL funny Trixy did the same thing too my hand a few days ago and i got her tooth a nice one too! i'm keeping it LOL

:eek: OK....now this is getting bizarre!!! I also kept Windy's teeth....I put them in a little jewelry keepsake box. Too funny! :D

Cflat
August 22nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
As all have said, lost whiskers are ok. Now if she experiences any bald patches or thin fur around her eyes or face go back to the vet. It may be a sign of ringworm.