Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obama Peace Prize - Excellent Article

TeriM
October 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Saw this article and thought it was a very good commentary. Basically the guy doesn't think Obama should have received this award as he hasn't really completed much yet (I agree) but that he should attend the ceremony and accept the award on behalf of the peacekeepers:

Full article http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/opinion/11friedman.html?em

Excerpt:
Let me begin by thanking the Nobel committee for awarding me this prize, the highest award to which any statesman can aspire. As I said on the day it was announced, ‘I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who’ve been honored by this prize.’ Therefore, upon reflection, I cannot accept this award on my behalf at all.

“But I will accept it on behalf of the most important peacekeepers in the world for the last century — the men and women of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps.

I would like to actually see him accept on behalf of peacekeepers the world over (Go Canada!) not just the USA but heh, it is a NYT article and he is the american president :D.

My BIL has just shipped out for his third tour in Afghanistan. I pray that him and all the others will be rewarded for their efforts with peace someday :pray:.