Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can you pick the pit bull?

LavenderRott
August 21st, 2004, 01:36 PM
As many of you who have been here for a while know, I am very active in the fight against BSL.

I will be the first to admit that I know little about pit bulls. I have done research on line and I can tell you what they were bred for and how they are supposed to respond to people and other dogs. Stuff like that. But quite honestly, I have never "met" one. I can say with a great amount of certainty that if one ran up to me in the street, I wouldn't know that it was a pit bull!

So here is my question to you. How many of you can actually identify the pit bull from the link I have posted? Please be honest, as I am very interested in the results from this little test.

Find the Pit Bull (http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html)

iRONKNiGHT
August 21st, 2004, 01:41 PM
lol okay that was easy .. make that hard!
yeah i dont know jack about pitbulls myself
but if there's someone in Montreal City with one i'd
go the distance to see their doggie!

badger
August 21st, 2004, 01:47 PM
Wow. Was I wrong! Thanks, you make a good point.

Catt31
August 21st, 2004, 04:31 PM
Good quiz...it was harder than I thought!! Took me 4 tries!! :D

heeler's rock!
August 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM
YIKES! :eek: It took me about 13 tries!! That is pretty scary that sooo many breeds could be thought of as pitts!

chico2
August 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
Boy,I don't know about you guys,but I cannot see any pit-Bull :eek:
Oh well,take that back,I found him :D

chico2
August 21st, 2004, 04:52 PM
It's strange,Sammie(I think it was)had a similar test and I found the pit on the first click!!

glasslass
August 21st, 2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah! I failed that one as miserably as I failed this one! :D

chico2
August 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
There are quiet a few pits living in the townhouse complex across the street from my house,I have a favourite,his name is Blue...really sweet dog.He has white paws and a white tummy,otherwise Blueish.
His owner,a young man,just had Blues ears cropped and now he looks like a dangerous dog,which he is not......I got sooo mad at him :mad:
He is an extreemly well trained dog.

Lady_D
August 21st, 2004, 07:05 PM
The quiz was hard…. I have know many pitts and I got it wrong!! I was CONVINCED it was #17. Some of them had their ears cropped and that kinda tripped me out. :o

Then of course I have to test my own knowledge by guessing the breeds. It’s so strange…I thought #1 was an American Bulldog and #14 was a boxer (well fed boxer :p )…. But it was the other way around! lol :rolleyes:

After the Rottweiler the Dogue de Bordeaux is my fav! ( Soooo cute!! )

Lucky Rescue
August 21st, 2004, 07:24 PM
I got it on the 2nd try. I choose the Alapaha Blue blood bulldog first. :rolleyes:

That is pretty scary that sooo many breeds could be thought of as pitts!

Try and imagine how many dogs in the "Pit bull attack" headlines are other breeds. :eek:

heeler's rock!
August 21st, 2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah LR! That is really awful! Poor pitts! My husband said that he is affraid to own a pit bull because of all the hype. Sounds like a lot of people are feeling that way. Personally, I think they are adorable! I especially like Staffordshire Terriors! They are awesome dogs. Maybe I'll adopt one soon.......My husband would KILL me for getting another dog!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! :p Too bad for him I guess!!!! :D

Luba
August 21st, 2004, 10:37 PM
Dag I surprised myself but I actually got it on the first go

But then I had to go look at all of them anyways :D They're all adooorable! :D

goldenblaze
August 21st, 2004, 10:44 PM
That was a hard quiz it took me 5 times and I really thought I had it on the 3rd. It was fun though :D

Lady_Eleven
August 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM
I got it on te first try; the family that lived across the street had one when I was growing up. Though after seeing all those pictures, I can see why there are so many mis-identifications!

dreaminrainbows
August 21st, 2004, 11:27 PM
I am so embarrassed but it took me 15 tries...I passed right by the right one 4-5 times, I didn't think that it was a Pitbull at all :( :eek:

Now I can understand why so many people believe a "pitbull" bit them, when it could easily be a friggin BullDog or any other variety of dog!!!! :eek:

Cactus Flower
August 21st, 2004, 11:47 PM
I've taken that test before so I already knew which dog it was. I believe it took several attempts for me to find the correct one.

LuckyRescue, do you think that pit bull is a typical representation of the breed? I think it was chosen because it looks the least like a pitbull, yet is a pitbull. Does that make sense? Maybe it's just a bad picture.

Luba
August 22nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
You know what though, a lot of shelters even identify the breeds wrong so , there u go. Not just us common folk!

I don't know how many times I've seen dogs mislabled at city shelters, spca, humane society.

When Honey (Aggies pointer) was at the shelter they identified her as a Beagle....now does this look like a Beagle to you??

I know Aggie's had people ask her if Honey was PBT because they many times asked me when I walked her!

Foolishness!

Cinnabear
August 22nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Yep I failed it took me 5 tries. I thought their face was more angular round like The Bull Terrier.

Cinnabear
August 22nd, 2004, 12:46 AM
No Luba that definately does not look like a beagle. It makes you wonder are they labelling these dogs wrong. If you don't the breed than say so and don't think you know it. It just irks me when label these dogs so wrong.

alpha sheltie
August 22nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Two tries. I was convinced the Alapaha blue blood bulldog was the pittie.

Writing4Fun
August 22nd, 2004, 09:25 AM
now does this look like a Beagle to you??

Yeah, that's a Beagle and I'm Cameron Diaz! :rolleyes:

I couldn't pick the Pittie out of that group to save my life. :o There were a few of them I was sure were NOT Pitties, but that's as close as I came. :)

Lucky Rescue
August 22nd, 2004, 10:24 AM
do you think that pit bull is a typical representation of the breed?

The thing is, people are now so used to seeing the huge blockheaded monsters (often mixed with Neos) that are being pumped out by scuzzy people that they think that is what pit bulls are supposed to look like.

The dog in the picture is actually the gamebred type, and what many fanciers call a REAL pit bull. This is the way a typical fighting dog looks, as a 90lb overmuscled neo mix wouldn't be very agile in the pit.