Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Soldiers in Afghanistan

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I have a friend who has recently been shipped out to Afghanistan (he's in the Canadian Army). He will be there until May. His wife sent me his mailing address and asked me to see if I knew anybody who wanted to write to him and maybe two other soldiers who went out with him. Apparently the other two (one female) will not be getting much mail from home, which is something they really enjoy.

So if you are interested in writing to a soldier, or sending a small care package along with a note please let me know and I'd be happy to PM you their contact information. It will be a long hard haul for them out there, especially over the Christmas holidays.

Thanks for thinking about it.

BenMax
October 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Being X military - I would be honored to write. Count me in.:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks BM, I'll PM you their mailing addy. :highfive:

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
We do something similar for American troops. We have drop boxes set up in some of the local banks and businesses and get together every few weeks to pack boxes and have them shipped to some of the local service personnel who are overseas. It's amazing how generous the community can be. If you try it, be specific about the types of items you list for collection--some things can't be shipped to Afghanistan or Iraq. So far, we've sent over 100 priority mail boxes overseas!

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
BenMax: If you do sent a care package, I think you can ship for free if you drop it off at the base in St. Jean.

Macomom
October 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Pm me some names and addresses, and I'll write too..

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2009, 02:55 PM
The list of items they suggest for sending if people want to is very limited, Chex mix, oreo cookies, gum, granola bars, microwave popcorn, jerky, trail mix, Gatoraid or Crystal light flavour mixes, spices, blank note cards, Canadian souvenirs (olympics or hockey especially), baby wipes and Qtips, Halls, dryer sheets, single bed sheets, ball caps, games, hackie sacks, word search puzzles licorice, photos, DVD movies or music CDs. Nothing that melts. I would think that with the holidays coming up both American and Canadian troops would appreciate care packages. I'm certain that you could send packages to any base and ask them to be sent to a soldier who doesn't get much mail and they could forward it accordingly.

Macomom, I'm going to PM you right now. Thanks! :highfive:

Don't feel like you need to send a package though, the soldiers would be more than happy just to get a friendly letter and maybe a nice picture from your town or something. We are so fortunate to live in a safe country (US and Canada) and we really shouldn't forget why that is. It's because somebody is willing to go out on the line and make sure we stay safe.

I saw a bumper sticker that I really liked, it said "If you don't want to stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them." I thought it really summed it up nicely.

BenMax
October 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I remember while in the military getting letters from my parents and sister. It helped remind me that I was loved and missed. It is so important for these soldiers to hear from home, to know that what they are doing is appreciated and not in vain.

I have had friends come back not the same. It is important to support them while they are there and when they come back.

I will write to the Major Dog Dancer. Though I was not an officer, the higher ups are more forgotten than the others I would think. So count me in for that. I will be writing tonight.

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Bless you BenMax for thinking of them. I know they will appreciate it, as will I. :grouphug:

BenMax
October 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Bless you BenMax for thinking of them. I know they will appreciate it, as will I. :grouphug:

I was one of them at some point in my life. Once you are military, you are for life. Even leaving does not mean that you have left. There is a very strong tie that lasts forever with them - as they are always considered family. It is a tight knit organization and only those that have served really understand what that fellowship is and means.

It is my pleasure Dog Dancer. Thank you for reminding me....I forgot.

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
There are a few pics in the July/09 Pets and Flags pics of our pets (dogs and cats) with some Canadian flags (Brina, Duffy, Molly, Seth ?, Kailey and Lucy to name them). Would anybody mind if I print out the pics and send them to my friend Darcy. He and his wife own two lovely senior grey hounds Jake and Julie, so I know he'd get a kick out of seeing our patriotic pets!

So I was reading the Canadian Armed Forces website (www.forces.gc.ca) for info on mailing and it says that letters can be sent through 2009 for free to the bases (as I said I will provide the proper mailing info to anybody that asks). Parcels I'm not sure about, I'll have to call Canada Post, it says that ended earlier this year. It says the mail is for family and friends - I think we're friends... I'll let you know after I check with Canada Post tomorrow.

14+kitties
October 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I will see if my brother is interested. He served for 27 years. If his back hadn't been so bad he would probably still be there and probably would have been one of the ones who volunteered to go over. You can pm me a couple of names too please. I will send some emails to friends and see if they would like addys as well.
God Bless them all. :ca:

Dog Dancer
October 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you 14+, I will send them to you by PM tomorrow.

I see that the forces website and Canada Post info says any packages need to have a customs declaration on them and need to be dropped at a postal outlet. That should be easy though for those who wish to send packages.

I am so proud and honoured to call you all my friends!:grouphug:

Sheri H
October 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Dog Dancer - feel free to pm me some names and addresses as well

Dog Dancer
October 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you Sheri, I'll get to that on my lunch hour today for you and 14+. :angel2:

Melinda
October 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM
feel free to use any pics of brina you want Dog dancer

TwinTails
October 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I'm in! I'd love to write and send packages to soldiers :ca: :usa: :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
October 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks Melinda, I think my friend would love to see them.

As for the mailings, letters are free if you drop them at a Canada Post outlet, and parcels are free after October 26 but they also have to go to an outlet and have a customs sticker. Easy enough I'd say.

TwinTails
October 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hubby is so happy we are doing this :D He's thrilled that we can support Canadians! Woo! So our idea is to put together a few packages for the Holidays. I can't wait to see how many we can put together :D I think it will be nice for our troops to receive love and support from back home :)

Dog Dancer
October 12th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Thank you TwinTails and to you hubby too. I only have the names of three soldiers specifically, but the website has info on general mailings. But if you want to send more than three parcels you could always send them to Major Wright (Darcy, my friend) and ask him to pass them on to soldiers who don't get anything at all. I know he would do that. Thank you all for your support. Darcy's wife is thrilled! Remember, after October 26 you can mail parcels for free by taking them directly to the post office and filling in a customs slip.

TwinTails
October 13th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Wonderful! Will do ;) I am excited thinking of things to fill a box - would we be allowed to gift wrap them? Or should they be unwrapped?

Dog Dancer
October 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Okay, so I e-mailed Darcy's wife and yes the items in the parcels can be wrapped if you wish. Parcels need to have a customs declaration on them though. If you wish to send more parcels than for the three soldiers I have listed in my PMs Darcy will certainly accept extra parcels and allocate them out to soldiers who are not getting anything. The address I have supplied is for mailing directly to named soldiers, you cannot just do a general mailing to that address, it must be directed specifically. So if you have any questions let me know. Thanks again, I am so proud of you for your support. :thumbs up