Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Something is up with Rupert!?!?

Chaser
October 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
At 1:20 last night Rupert started yowling at the top of his lungs and he hasn't stopped since!

He only cuts it out when I pick him up or pet him and rub his belly. Otherwise he's been laying in the kitchen, on the ottoman, or simply wandering around and yowling.

He does that when he's hungry so I gave him some food - didn't seem to want it.

I got worried about his bladder (he's had no problems before though) so I cleaned his litter at 3 a.m. Everything looked totally normal and he even climbed in and took a pee while I was scooping. Normal pee, no straining, and no yowling while he was doing it.

I don't get it. I have no idea what his problem is and can't get him to stop! :yell: :shrug:

No vomiting, diarrhea.....has energy. Walking fine, doesn't look like he injured himself in any way. I checked his whole body and applied light pressure to check for sore spots and didn't seem to find any.

Any ideas????? He's always a very vocal cat but this is ridiculous! FDH had to work at 5:30 a.m. and I'm surprised he didn't toss Rupert out into the yard last night (well, he wouldn't really but he was MAD!)

I don't know if something is wrong or if he's just being a jerk.

Not sure exactly when his last poop was so I'll keep an eye on that today and see if he goes. Other than the slight possibility of constipation I'm at a loss here. :sad:

ancientgirl
October 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Could there be a stray wandering outside somewhere? I don't know what to tell you other than if he keeps it up take him to the vet to make sure it's nothing physical, which I hope it's not. :goodvibes:

Chaser
October 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Could there be a stray wandering outside somewhere? I don't know what to tell you other than if he keeps it up take him to the vet to make sure it's nothing physical, which I hope it's not. :goodvibes:

Good possibility - he tends to get really excited about them and seems particularly desperate to get out the back door. :shrug:

I'm not feeling great today (probably because I'm all worried now) so I'm going to stay home with him and keep an eye on things.

Will post updates as warranted.....if the incessant yowling doesn't drive me completely crazy first. :wall:

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
How old is Rupert? When was his last bloodwork panel done? Has he been checked for hyperT?

Chaser
October 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
How old is Rupert? When was his last bloodwork panel done? Has he been checked for hyperT?

He's approx 2.5 years....and I would have to ask Toonces when he last went to the vet exactly. I think it was a little under a year ago.....he went in for a URI a couple months before we picked him up last Christmas. :shrug:

Chaser
October 6th, 2009, 07:53 AM
He's sort of started to tone it down a bit in the past 45 mins. or so.....

Even the dogs look annoyed! :laughing:

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
He could have been just lonely and bored, wanting some attention :shrug:.

Hyper T blood work normally has to be sent out, so it is different that the normal blood panel checking kidneys, liver, anemia, etc.

Chris21711
October 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Herbie does that when he gets bunged up Chaser. I would keep an eye to see if he does go poop or not....With Herb, I watch his belly and notice the contractions as if he is experiencing gas pains

Chaser
October 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Herbie does that when he gets bunged up Chaser. I would keep an eye to see if he does go poop or not....With Herb, I watch his belly and notice the contractions as if he is experiencing gas pains

Good to know....

And does anyone have a remedy for cat constipation if that is the case?

ancientgirl
October 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I know giving them canned pumpkin (not the pie stuff) or sweet potato is supposed to firm their poop, but I'm not sure if it would help him poop. Giving him something with fiber may help.

Chris21711
October 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Good to know....

And does anyone have a remedy for cat constipation if that is the case?

I give Herbie his meds when he is going through a bout of constipation (he has the onset of Megacolon)...for a while now I have been mixing his wet food with a fair amount of warm water, almost soupy.....I stopped adding fibre to his diet, it seems like there is conflicting views as to whether it helps or not.

Lactulose is a stool softener that can be bought at the pharmacy, I give 3ml with a syringe, it is real sticky, so try not to get it on his fur if you use it. Growler and SCM also advise adding Slippery Elm Bark powder to their food, it helps smooth things through.

Upon reading your original post again, Herbie only yowls when experiencing the gas pains not otherwise.

Chaser
October 6th, 2009, 09:20 AM
He stopped about 30 minutes ago :shrug:

I'll continue to keep an eye on him for the rest of the day. I have some slippery elm that I can try if he seems to have trouble in the poop department.

Thanks for the help everyone - will keep you posted. Cats are just so confusing!!!!! Other than Rupert, I'm sticking with dogs. I can actually tell when they're sick!

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
How peculiar. Cole was up pacing almost all night--started at about 2:15 this morning. :shrug: Think they're on the same wavelength? :eek:

Glad Rupert finally stopped. :goodvibes: that it was a one-time thing and he won't need any meds.

Chaser
October 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
So he stopped yowling yesterday morning and spent the day napping, looking out his fave window, cuddling with me and playing with Kailey.

He pooped, peed ate and drank normally. Lots of his usual crazy energy.

But he started it AGAIN at 5:30 a.m.!!! And he's gotten increasingly desperate to get out the door - worse than usual.

He's fixed - if there is a stray cat in heat wandering around at night would he still be reacting to it???

HELP ME before FDH pokes some holes in a box and ships him back to Toonces!

Love4himies
October 7th, 2009, 11:35 AM
So he stopped yowling yesterday morning and spent the day napping, looking out his fave window, cuddling with me and playing with Kailey.

He pooped, peed ate and drank normally. Lots of his usual crazy energy.

But he started it AGAIN at 5:30 a.m.!!! And he's gotten increasingly desperate to get out the door - worse than usual.

He's fixed - if there is a stray cat in heat wandering around at night would he still be reacting to it???

HELP ME before FDH pokes some holes in a box and ships him back to Toonces!

Is he wanting to go outside or just meowing?

Was this boy a Tom before he was adopted by you?

If he was a Tom, then yes, there is probably a female in heat or a Tom outside somewhere.

Jasper will go into fits (almost like panic attacks) if he can't get outside to spray if there has been a male cat in the yard. He is currently fixed (of course), but was neutered late in life.

sugarcatmom
October 7th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Doesn't have to be a cat in heat, can be ANY cat, especially one that comes by regularly. My cat, neutered at 6 months and now more than 16 yrs old, also yowls like crazy if he sees a cat hanging around outside (especially white cats, for some reason). Cats can be very territorial, whether they're neutered or not.

Is there a way to prevent him from looking out the window?

chico2
October 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Chaser,my cats are all neutered,but especially Rocky,gets all crazed if he sees another cat in his yard,although after he's been on his HT meds(Tapazole)it does not happen anymore.:confused:
But the yowling would only go on while he still sees the other cat.
I honestly would make an appointment at the vet for him,yowling for such a long period is not normal IMO.
He might have a pain that comes and goes,just like us humans.
:fingerscrEverything will be ok with beautiful Rupert:fingerscr

Chaser
October 7th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Rupert was neutered around age two. He knocked Gabby up before Toonces could catch them and get them both fixed.

He has seen one other stray cat on the street to my knowledge and also stares at the neighbour's cat that sits in their window. Never reacted like this!!! He'll meow but it's playful and happy.

I don't KNOW there is a stray, but that's my guess because it keeps happening at night when all is quiet and I have zero health concerns. And he is charging the door every time we open it if he is in yowling mode.

There's no way to block the windows....he'll just push the curtain aside. Crap! I really hope this stops soon. I don't know what to do about a stray cat that I haven't even seen and wanders around before the crack of dawn.

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The Pack was jumping up on the loveseat and looking out the window into the side yard to bark at the Dastardly Squirrels that were invading, so we covered the lower half of the window pane with white freezer wrap. :o It didn't look so great, but it let in a lot of the light while keeping them from throwing fits when they saw the Rascally Rodents. :D

rainbow
October 7th, 2009, 01:52 PM
LOL ...I was going to suggest taping cardboard or newspaper to the lower part of the window. If you made a frame for the cardboard then you could take it down in the daytime so your neighbours didn't wonder what the heck you're up to. :D

rainbow
October 7th, 2009, 01:57 PM
LOL ...I was going to suggest taping cardboard or newspaper to the lower part of the window. If you made a frame for the cardboard then you could take it down in the daytime so your neighbours didn't wonder what the heck you're up to. :D

Chaser
October 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Blocked windows and shut the door to the office to keep him away from the sliding glass door. He started yowling at midnight anyway!

FDH went out to check on him and Rupert stopped anytime J. left our bedroom. So then J. tried laying down on the couch and Rupert kept quiet. Yet he didn't even curl up with J. - he spent the night snoozing on his favourite mat in the kitchen! When J came back in our room at 7:30 to wake me up the yowling resumed.

ARGH!!!!! We sleep with our door open and he's always been free to come and cuddle at night if he wants. Apparently though, His Highness would like the entire household to relocate from the bedroom to the kitchen and living room at the front of the house for no apparent reason at all.

I am so sleep-deprived and miserable!

ancientgirl
October 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Kiska sometimes starts meowing when she wanders downstairs in the middle of the night. I usually call out to her a few times, then Maks goes downstairs. A few minutes later they both come up.

Chaser
October 8th, 2009, 01:33 PM
He won't come if I call him to bed now. And night before last J even went and got him and brought him to me in bed. Normally Rupert will lay on me and go to sleep, but he just took off ti the kitchen and started yowling again....

He's only happy if we go to him!

I'm going crazy.....

hazelrunpack
October 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
How about if you move his favorite kitchen mat into the bedroom?

chico2
October 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Chaser,I find that behaviour really strange,my cats will watch and say nothing,if the window is closed.
If open and the other cat outside howls,so will they,but not for as long as Rupert.
I still believe a vet-visit cannot hurt..:2cents:

Chaser
October 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
J. was talking to our neighbour today....she mentioned that a stray cat has been wandering up and down our driveway every night the past couple of days. The driveway is right beside the kitchen, where he is insisting he wants to hang out for his midnight yodelling sessions.

Looks like I may have a cat to trap....

Jim Hall
October 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
yup thats the problem

Lyrical44
October 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
:goodvibes:I think trying to catch your mystery kitty is a good step, our fixed male, and even our unfixed male never do that (thank goodness).

If catching the stray midnight kitty doesnt help though, I wouldnt have any suggestions lol

I will say poor you though, I bet it would be slightly less frustrating, if the mystery midnight kitty, was a mystery noontime kitty.
Sorry for you sleep deprivation...

:goodvibes: comin your way though

Chaser
October 18th, 2009, 10:54 PM
After two nights of torrential rain last week the mystery kitty dsappeared and there has been no more yowling from Rupert ever since. So she disappeared before I could even get prepped to catch her.

As happy as I am to have peace and quiet back I am worried about the poor girl....hope she's okay. :sad:

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Maybe she came home really wet and miserable one night and her owners finally saw the light and are keeping her inside now? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

At least you're getting more rest now. :o

14+kitties
October 19th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Rupert was fixed at two years old so he is still, in his mind, very much of an intact male! If he sensed a female in heat outside his house he would react the way he did.
I know you would never consider rehoming or giving him back to Toonces but if there is ever a chance you do please contact me first. I will bring him here to the sanctuary. It doesn't matter how much he howls there. We still sleep.
And sleep deprived........... my darling Keesha had me up three times during the night last night to take her potty. :rolleyes:

Chaser
October 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Oh no no....he's not going anywhere. I just needed to vent and until the neighbour mentioned the cat I was at my wits end trying to figure out what his problem was, but didn't want to pay a vet when I knew for certain he wasn't sick. When he's not well he let's me know it!

DH-to-be talks big but if he didn't actually care about Rupert he wouldn't have run across the backyard in his boxers to catch him when he bolted out the back door this weekend :laughing:

He is very much MY cat and as much as he drives me insane I also love him to bits and couldn't stand not cuddling with him every day. Not to mention Rupert would be lost without Kailey.....he just adores her :lovestruck:

(And poor Keesha :()

chico2
October 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Chaser,the other night when this little beautiful female was in our back-yard,the first thing Rocky did was spray in several places..
I have gotten them all to stop,but that little cat was probably too much for Rocky:frustrated:
I never doubted that you love Rupert and I understand how you felt,it's very,very frustrating.

Hopefully your little intruder has a home:fingerscr

Chaser
October 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hmmm....oddly Rupert isn't a sprayer....guess I should count my blessings!

I really do hope the poor girl is okay :fingerscr