Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog explodes on Hazel Run deck

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Grace made an amazing leap up on the front door and barked loudly.

"Come quick, Sheriff Cole! Someone exploded on the deck!"

The Sheriff came at a gallop, skidding to a halt in front of a pile of hair.

Upon closer examination, the Sheriff noticed some important clues.

There was setter hair on the mat. There was setter hair all over the deck.
58643 58644

But all Pack members were present and accounted for.

"I don't think it was an exploding dog, Grace," whuffled the Sheriff.
"I think it's just the fallout from our autumn haircuts."

Jim Hall
October 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
close encounters of the clipper kind

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Every fall the Pack gets a trim.
It's a rite of passage for a setter--getting feathers trimmed.
Shorter hair makes it easier to comb out all the briars, burs, beggar's ticks and real ticks
that glom onto the Pack's feathers while they're leaping through the woods.

The Sheriff before:

The Sheriff after:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
The Princess~Queen can't wait to get her trim.

"I think it makes me look years younger, don't you?"

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 09:44 PM
King Ember is pretty excited, too.

58651 58652
"Fall hair cuts mean that soon we'll be out in the woods again! I'm next! I'm next!"

"Thanks, Mom!"

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Princess Lil Belle is the Hairiest of the Hairy.

It always takes a very long time to trim her luxurious fur.
Most of the hair on the deck was once attached to the Princess.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ms Macie looks about the same after her trim...

...as before.

Ridge does, too.
Ridge, as the official Homebody of the Hazel Run Pack doesn't care for running in the woods,
but she does like to participate in Pack activities, so her tresses are trimmed, too.

Frenchy
October 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
aww they all look like puppies now !!!! :lovestruck: and with all that loose fur on the deck , you can make another setter puppy :lightbulb:

:p

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
This was the first year that Grace and Brier needed a trim.
Setters' fur tends to get thicker, silkier and longer as they get older and
the two youngsters are still working on their adult coats.

Grace's ears were a bit scruffy, though...
...so they needed trimming.

Grace was quite excited to be getting a Big Girl Hair Cut and couldn't sit still.
As a result, the Hazel Run Mama missed a few hairs.
But Grace thought she looked amazingly lovely afterward, anyway.

King Ember helped her smooth down the stray hairs.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Brier was shy after his haircut.
"Aw, gee, I look like a sissy."

"No ya don't, Brier! You look amazingly handsome," whispered Grace.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Afterward, the entire Pack took a moment on the deck for their annual fall portrait in their new "dos".

But where is Grace?

Oh -- there she is! Right in the middle!

the end
:dog:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:17 PM
close encounters of the clipper kind

:laughing: I wish!! I couldn't find the sharpener, so it was a close encounter with really dull scissors. :D

aww they all look like puppies now !!!! :lovestruck: and with all that loose fur on the deck , you can make another setter puppy :lightbulb:

:p

Or stuff three dozen couch pillows...or knit a kazillion sweaters! :laughing:

Frenchy
October 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM
"No ya don't, Brier! You look amazingly handsome," whispered Grace.

I love that one Hazel , it's so tender :cloud9:

Dee-O-Gee
October 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ooooh Madame! I love their sporting new looks! :cloud9: :cloud9: I love the feathering of their tails. :lovestruck:

Our Mollie seems to be getting a curly girly look on her backside too? It almost looks like a cable knit/braided sweater effect? :shrug: She got into very much trouble tonight too BTW! :evil:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I love that one Hazel , it's so tender :cloud9:
Grace was thinking about tugging his ear off, so I'm not sure how much tenderness was intended. :laughing: But it makes a good story, eh? :laugh:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Our Mollie seems to be getting a curly girly look on her backside too? It almost looks like a cable knit/braided sweater effect? :shrug: She got into very much trouble tonight too BTW! :evil:
Uh-oh. What did Ms Mollie do now? :eek:

Dee-O-Gee
October 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Uh-oh. What did Ms Mollie do now? :eek:

Ooohhhhh she got her little teethy things on a very sentimental autographed book that we stashed in a bookcase that we THOUGHT she couldn't get in to but....she did. I did manage to glue and tape the covering though! :shrug:

Hubby was not impressed. :frustrated:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Ah, yes...brings back memories! :laughing: You'll soon learn that the bigger she gets, the puppy-proofing gets harder :rolleyes: Sigh...the little :evil:!!

Dee-O-Gee
October 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Well she's sulking right now and knows she got into much trouble.

On another note, when setters are pups, will her coat get thicker before winter comes? Mollie appears to just have this cable knit sweater thing happening on her back but the rest of her fur appears to be very thin? Being only 4 months old, will she develop a winter coat or should I need to buy her some kind of protective covering for winter walks? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
She won't get her adult coat for at least a couple of years, so she might appreciate a doggie parka if it gets very cold this winter. But our didn't need anything as a rule--not even Ember who had a very thin puppy coat. :shrug: Course the little darlin's were movin' so fast, they didn't have a chance to get cold :rolleyes: :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
October 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks Madame :sorry: for taking away from your beautiful pictures and stories. The pack look so majestic, excited and eager to get into some fall frolic. :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 11:08 PM
No problem, klm. :D Always willing to talk setters...and the TJT is currently closed to me due to picture overload. :o

The Pack thanks you for the compliments and say they are, indeed, eager for some fall frolic! :dog: They'll get out for the first time this Friday! :highfive:

Smiley14
October 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Oh, they really do look like puppies again! :flirt: Sorry for the following stupid question, but I apparently missed this on previus years! What do they run through the woods for?

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 11:24 PM
All kinds of cool setter stuff!! :D They point grouse and woodcock. They kick up their heals for joy. They test out their new haircuts in all the blackberry thickets they can find :rolleyes: They increase their tick collection :frustrated: They find mucky puddles to plutch through--the only time they don't mind getting wet...and the worse it smells, the better! :laughing:

TwinTails
October 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Oh wow! :flirt: They are so beautiful! I remember now why setters are one of my favorite breeds :lovestruck: :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
October 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Awwwww Ember helpin' Grace smooth out her coat - so cute!!!! :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

The Pack looks wonderful after their salon day :lovestruck:

heehee pic 3 Sheriff Cole looks like he sees something rather suspicious that needs investigating :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Ya, I'm not sure what Ember was thinking as he was moussing Grace's hair, but he certainly did spittle her up some! :laughing:

The Sheriff is a fine investigator--if there's anything suspicious to be found, he'll find it. :D

clm
October 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM
They look a lot younger after the trim eh? It's amazing how puppyish some of them look.
Quite a job with all those dogs. Grace looks a lot smaller than the rest. Is she the trouble maker of the pack? :laughing:

clm

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Grace is small (about half the size of her Uncle, Sheriff Cole) but she's feisty! :D When she and Brier are playing hard, you can hear her body-slam him from across the yard! :eek: So yes, I think she qualifies as a trouble maker! :dog:

They really do look years younger with their puppy cuts. :cloud9: I wish it were that easy to reverse time.

Smiley14
October 6th, 2009, 12:51 AM
All kinds of cool setter stuff!! :D They point grouse and woodcock. They kick up their heals for joy. They test out their new haircuts in all the blackberry thickets they can find :rolleyes: They increase their tick collection :frustrated: They find mucky puddles to plutch through--the only time they don't mind getting wet...and the worse it smells, the better! :laughing:

LOL! Wasn't sure if they were hunting dogs or something that I didn't know about all these years! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Oh, ya. Setters are definitely hunting dogs! If we're lucky, they don't bump any deer and end up running to the end of the county! :rolleyes: Or run into any wolves! :eek:

But normally they range pretty close. Perfect for walking along... :cloud9: I'm hoping to get some good pointing pics this year! :fingerscr

breeze
October 6th, 2009, 08:27 AM
They look like puppies again with the new do's :cloud9::cloud9:

I never really saw how small Grace is until I saw her beside the others..:lovestruck: and I'm glad that it wasn't a dog that exploded on your deck :D

are you going to leave the hair out for the winter birdies?? do you have winter birdies??

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I bag it up and put it out for the birds in an old wire suet feeder in spring. I love finding birds' nests with setter hair woven in them. :cloud9: I've seen hummingbirds try to carry off the long silky setter hairs, but a lot of the other birds seem to prefer the golden retriever undercoat that my friend saves for me. :D Fun to watch, no matter which hair they go after.

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Oh, the pups are just gorgeous with their new doos :cloud9: :lovestruck: and all ready for some fun in the woods :thumbs up

Hmmmmm, wonder if I put Puddles in the line up on the deck if you would notice one more critter to give a fur cut to? :laughing: I hack away at her fur so bad, she is almost embarrassed when I am done :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I'd never notice. :D By the time I'm done, the scissors are more or less fused to my hand and I'm in a permanent stoop... At the end of eight trims, I'm bent so far over that I'd easily be able to reach Puddles :laughing: Send her on over! Just let me sharpen those scissors a bit... :o

TeriM
October 10th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Wonderful pics of the gang Hazel :cloud9:. I'm glad the Sheriff got to keep his cute little tufts on the top of his head :lovestruck:.

hazelrunpack
October 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks, TeriM. hazel is glad about the Sheriff's tufts, too! She loves his unruly locks :flirt: For that matter, all the girls go ga-ga over them. :D