Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is the scoop on rawhide?

Freyja
August 20th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Hey all,
I remember hearing once that rawhide was not that great for dogs. Lindy loves to chew. I got her a Nylabone today and she loves it, also loves her Kong. Is is true about the rawhide?

Lucky Rescue
August 20th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Some dogs bite off and swallow large pieces of rawhide, which swells in the stomach and can cause blockages.

I would stick with raw bones - so much better! A nice large meaty marrowbone will keep Lindy busy for hours!:)

Jackie467
August 21st, 2004, 12:27 AM
if you don't mind my asking where do you get marrow bones? Candi loves rawhide but after i started reading on this board i won't give her any more. i bought her some nyla bones but she refuses to chew or even look at them. i also got her a kong but she's not interested in that either. she'll get as many treats out of it as she can and then after they become hard to get out she just quits. does anyone elses dog do this? she WILL not chew the kong at all.

heeler's rock!
August 21st, 2004, 12:30 AM
My oldest dog won't chew on any toys either. To keep her teeth healthy, I give her pig ears and greenies. She LOVES those. I gave her a real bone once and she cracked her teeth so I can't anymore.

Jackie467
August 21st, 2004, 12:53 AM
i saw the greenies at the vets office but they're only sold by ones. do they sell them in pet stores or wallmart in bigger bags? (my moms dog tends to steal any chew thing we give candi so we tend to go through them fast)

Lady_Eleven
August 21st, 2004, 01:26 AM
Freyja and Jackie,

I know I usually only see them selling in singles, but they must sell in bags somewhere in stores. I'm just not sure as most pet stores either have them in single wrapping, or open the bag. You can try Walmart (I'm not sure to be honest), and I found a store online that sells them in bags, and you can get them in different sizes:

http://www.petsafe-warehouse.com/greenies/greenies_dog_treats.htm

or go to http://www.greenies.com/ to find a retailer near you (hopefully one that sells bulk)

As for the rawhide bit, yes it's not good for your dog at all. As for the marrow bones, alot of pet stores sell them, especially the holistic / health based pet food stores (thats where I get them). I think you can also get large bones like that from a local butcher, but I'm not sure how you would cook them (I'm vegan lol). Perhaphs someone else here would know, or you can check on the internet.

Hope this helps!

P.S - Nylabones can be great but make sure you get the right size for your dog with the right hardness. My dog got a hold of her puppy nylabone (found it under the couch), and while she barely put a dent in it chewing it when she was 15 weeks old, she literally ripped chunks out of it at this age (it was softer for smaller puppies). This caused her to get sick on my kitchen floor many times in a row the next day. Not alot of fun (and I assume possilbly dangerous at the side of the pieces), cleaning up barfy rubbery type bits. Not fun for the dog either! (the chart on the pack or website will help you decide the size and type, and just check the nylabone for excessive wear and tear)

Goldenmom
August 21st, 2004, 08:41 AM
i saw the greenies at the vets office but they're only sold by ones. do they sell them in pet stores or wallmart in bigger bags? (my moms dog tends to steal any chew thing we give candi so we tend to go through them fast)

Beware of Greenies. Depending on your dog, they can get large pieces off of them and choke. I have had 2 of my dogs choke big time on them and when they did eat them, every night they would be up during the night throwing up large chunks of them. Myself and most of my Golden friends do not give these to our dogs for this reason.

Heather

Freyja
August 21st, 2004, 09:52 AM
I just went to the meat department of my local grocers and asked for marrow soup bones. They are reasonably cheap. I too am a vegetarian and haven't bought meat in about ten years!! The butcher laughed at me and showed me the right thing. They are the bone cut crosswise so that once the meat and marrow are gone they look like a ring. Lindy LOVES them and they do keep her occupied for quite some time. After it is all clean she likes to race around the yard throwing it up into the air.

Catt31
August 21st, 2004, 09:58 AM
Petcetera sells greenies in a bag - 18 jumbo for $25!! Brick doesn't like Nylabones, but he LOVES his kong and his bully sticks!!! You should get Lindy a bully stick.....if you can stomach the thought of them!! LOL

I also gave Brick rawhide until I started reading in here and it scared me enough to throw them all out!! Pigs ears also do the same thing, break off into little bits so they could choke, as well as swell up in the stomach. We also tried raw bones but I think we got the wrong ones cuz they splintered and Brick almost choked on a sharp piece. He's quite happy with his kong and his bullies!!!

Freyja
August 21st, 2004, 10:04 AM
Where do you get the bully sticks? Is that what they are called? I saw some HUGE bones at the local pet store (independant). They looked smoked and had lots of meat on them.

Catt31
August 21st, 2004, 10:09 AM
I buy them at Fairplay! They call them beef chews I think, but they actually look like the seminal cord - they come in all sizes - we buy the ones that are $4.99. I'll pick up a couple this week and bring one over for Lindy when we get together!!! :D

For some reason, I'm remembering that smoked bones are NOT good for dogs. I can't remember why, or which thread I read it on, but that sticks out in my mind!! Maybe someone else can remember?!?!??

melanie
August 21st, 2004, 05:47 PM
when charlie could eat bones (sadly accident prevents it now) i used to get her a huge thigh bone from the butcher for about $1. it is the really long one with a large nob at each end (like a dino bone from flinstones). i never gave her any other bones and she loved them to pieces and they last a few days. and they are full of marrow, uncooked and just great. now she only has denta bones/sticks (fantastic product), rawhide bones (very large ones) and big stumps of brocolli for teeth cleaning. i can see how these and many dog products could be harmful so im not advocating total safety in these or many other products.
charlie has always had a bit of rawhide in her life and except here on the board, i have never heard of any dog having problems with them and most dog owners i know give it at some stage. i have read all the stories on the board but i still give it to her as i am yet to actually physically meet someone who has had these probs and she has been chewing them for many years now without any problems. so i think it is pretty safe to assume she is ok with them. it is also the only treat i can give her that lasts a day, anything else is gone in 2 mins. charlie is traditionally a bone dog (loves them, can take you to the freezer to show where the bones are)she will chew a big raw hide bone for a full day at least and she is in total doggy heaven. :D

Lady_D
August 21st, 2004, 06:19 PM
That’s strange… my vet said that its all “mumbo jumbo” about rawhides! He said he never ran into/heard of any accidents caused by them.

Regardlesss Zeus is happy with his little sticks of compressed cow ( Dently ) and I have no intentions of putting him at risk by giving him rawhides - or anything that can be a potential threat.

For those that use the bones from the butcher…doesn’t it cause a smell? It is raw…wouldn’t it go rotten? Is that healthy for the dog? :confused:

Freyja
August 21st, 2004, 06:24 PM
Some people only feed bones and raw food. It is called the BARF diet.

goldenblaze
August 21st, 2004, 08:43 PM
I would stick with raw bones - so much better! A nice large meaty marrowbone will keep Lindy busy for hours!:)

LuckyRescue,

I buy the meaty marrowbones almost weekly for my boys, when you wrote raw did you mean you give them to the dogs raw? I have always cooked them as I understand it was safer as they would be unable to break any off. I also thought it was not so pleasent for me to watch them eating them raw :)

Cactus Flower
August 21st, 2004, 09:58 PM
After reading this thread, I got curious as to what "bully sticks" really are.

I'll paste what I found:

These chews are made from, well how should we say this, BULL penises. :eek:

LavenderRott
August 21st, 2004, 10:18 PM
DO NOT COOK BONES!!!!! This can cause them to be brittle and break off in small sharp pieces! The only bones my girls get are from the local butcher.

I have seen greenies in packages of 5 or 6, i think. If you live anywhere near a mom and pop type pet shop, you may be able to get them to special order then for you.

marko
August 22nd, 2004, 08:10 AM
There was a previous thread that was mentioned in the ask the vet link
http://www.pets.ca/index-QA.html
http://www.pets.ca/index-QAarchive.htm
(Where many common questions are singled out)

Here is a direct link from that page.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6277

Hope it helps

Marko

Admin