Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat will not pee properly

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hello,

I have 15 months old fixed male cat, and I've noticed him using his litter box every 10 min or so. I am not sure if he is able to pee each time he enters the litter box, but he certainly is able to pee, as I found some clumps of litter this morning. Otherwise there is no blood, and he is eating and playing as usual.
The earliest his vet will be able to see him is Thursday morning (3 days from now), but I am worried there might be something serious going on.

He eats dry food and I can't make him eat canned food.

Love4himies
October 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
He needs a vet today as he may have a partial blockage. This could lead to a full blockage and a painful death. Cats are notorious for hiding pain so until they are in severe pain, you may not see any signs.

As for the kibble, please change his food to canned as it helps prevent these types of occurances by keeping the bladder and kidneys flushed.

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to find a vet who's not completely booked, to not avail.
As for changing his food - I tried everything to make him switch from dry to canned food, including substituting gradually portions of his daily intake of dry food with canned one....but no success. He would rather starve than eat the canned food. The only thing he would eat is the gravy, but not the meat.

Love4himies
October 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I hope you can find one :pray:

I know about kitty's stubborness to change from kibble to canned :frustrated: Puddles was super miss stubborn, but it can be done with perseverance. Sometimes if the kitty is not really hungry, they are not so willing to try different foods. Have you tried Fancy Feast (the wheat free ones), also known as kitty crack?

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I haven't, but I will get them tonight. I've tried to convince Kossyo switching to canned food by giving him the ProPlan ones. I guess for being shelter kitten he's kind of finicky eater.
Still keep trying to find available vet to see him. I didn't expect it will be so difficult to find him an appointment.:frustrated:

Hazmat
October 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
At 15 months old blockage is a lot less likely than with an older cat. But not unheard of.

Still a Vet visit ASAP is what you need.

What type/brand dry food are you feeding him? As with any food there are huge differences. Some on this board will cringe in horror at my suggesting that a good dry food is better than a bad wet /canned food. But a bad dry food is the baddest.

That said: You are going about this all wrong! You are talking to a secretary who obviously does not know anything about cats. Urinary blockage is a life threatening situation! You need to insist on talking to the VET or at least a Vet tech. If you get the run around keep calling back every 10 minutes! No Vet is going to put you off for 3 days is there is a life threatening situation! Keep bugging that secretary until she/he can't take it anymore and bumps your call up to the Vet!

sugarcatmom
October 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Some on this board will cringe in horror at my suggesting that a good dry food is better than a bad wet /canned food. But a bad dry food is the baddest.

I'll be one of the ones cringing in horror. Absolutely, ANY wet food is better than the very best of the best kibbles. For one reason and one reason only: WATER. Cats need water with their food. Especially male cats.

Smayte, is there an emergency clinic in your area? I would have them on speed dial. If not, phone the nearest clinic and tell them you have a male cat that may have a urinary tract blockage, and that you need to see a vet pronto. None of this waiting until Thursday. Even a partial blockage is urgent, as toxins can start to build up within 24 hrs. Here is more info for you: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1111&S=0&EVetID=0

As for getting your cat on wet food, have you read this link?: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitioning_Dry_Food_Addicts_to_Canned_Food_ It's got lots of tips on how to convert a kibble addict. Can take a great deal of patience, but I firmly believe there isn't a cat on this planet that can't eventually be transitioned to a better diet.

Love4himies
October 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I hope you got in touch with a vet :pray: Please update us when you have some news.

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I managed to get him an appointment for 6 pm (in less than an hour), and I will post what the vet found.:cat: I hope there is nothing serious.:pray:
Thank you all for replying to my thread so quickly, given I am new here. :)

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hazmat, I am feeding him with IAMS dry food, although he prefers Purina Indoors (he was fed with Purina One while in the shelter). As for the canned food - I try to persuade him to eat ProPlan, or Sophista Cat gourmet, but he refuses to eat it. He would only lick the gravy. I also give him cat treatments every night.

Love4himies
October 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I managed to get him an appointment for 6 pm (in less than an hour), and I will post what the vet found.:cat: I hope there is nothing serious.:pray:
Thank you all for replying to my thread so quickly, given I am new here. :)

I am so glad.

Doesn't matter if you are new or not, you are a pet lover and that is all we care about.

Also, may as well let you know right off the bat.....

WE KINDA DEMAND PICS :D cause we are pic addicts :laughing::lovestruck:

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM
OK, here I am with good news. My guy has an intial stage of urinary tract infection. Otherwise he is healthy. We came came back with antibiotics for a week and special food for cats with urinary problems. What a relief for both me and Kossyo.:lovestruck:
Here is my boy.58641

Jim Hall
October 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
good you caught it quick

sugarcatmom
October 5th, 2009, 09:32 PM
My guy has an intial stage of urinary tract infection.

How did they diagnose it? Can you find out what the urine specific gravity (USG) is? A true urinary tract infection is extremely rare in cats under 10 yrs of age. More likely, it's a case of urinary tract inflammation. Antibiotics won't do squat. Here is another link for you to check out: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=611&SourceID= And a great article on FLUTD by our resident vet, Dr. Lee: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65467&highlight=flutd

and special food for cats with urinary problems.

Which one? Did the vet say how long you're supposed to keep feeding it?

Kossyo is adorable, by the way. :lovestruck: Reminds me a lot of my late cat, Egypt.

smayte
October 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the links, I will read them now. :)
The vet didn't really mention any brand of food, so I got Kossyo Proplan (both dry and canned). The vet didn't mention for how long I should feed Kossyo with this kind of food, and I forgot to ask.:shrug: He (the vet) just said that feeding Kossyo with this special food will benefit him (Kossyo) in a long run.:o

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Oh, your kitty is beautiful :cloud9: :lovestruck:

I am glad he got to a vet, a kitty who has problems peeing should be seen by a vet ASAP.

The only food that is going to help your kitty in the long run is a quality canned or raw diet that is appropriate for a carnivore. I just don't understand why a vet in this day and age thinks that kibble is OK for a cat :wall:. There is nothing "magical" in the food, read the ingredients, you will find that it is just over priced, low quality, cat food. Cats need meat, they are carnivores, not corn, wheat, potato, etc., etc. Being on a species appropriate diet helps ensure the urine is kept at a optimal ph (6.0-6.5) and the kidneys and bladder keep flushed.

smayte
October 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Update: Kossyo doesn't really appreciate his new dry food, and as last resort he's eating the canned one. This looks like major leap in his eating habits.:goodvibes::party:

Love4himies
October 6th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Update: Kossyo doesn't really appreciate his new dry food, and as last resort he's eating the canned one. This looks like major leap in his eating habits.:goodvibes::party:

:thumbs up:thumbs up

smayte
October 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Latest update. :) Kossyo feels much better, and is being a good boy taking his antibiotic twice a day. I also managed to make him eat canned food (since he'll not touch the dry food for cats with urinary problems). A spoonful of canned tuna made the miracle. I mixed it with his canned food and he ate almost half of it...woo hoo!:lightbulb: I found this tip in www.ehow.com and it worked just perfectly. If only I knew this trick earlier.:rolleyes:

Love4himies
October 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Wahoo!! the water he gets from the canned keep his kidneys and bladder flushed.

smayte
October 9th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Its me again...:rolleyes: For second time this week I found Kossyo's favorite toy inside the litter box (his is the closed type one), and just now my husband told me he found Kossyo's toy at the bottom of the litter box, and Kossyo apparently took a pee over the toy.:yuck: We washed the toy (rag mouse) and put it to dry, but keep wonder what makes our otherwise sweet cat toss his toy in the litter box and pee over it.:sad:

catlover2
October 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I think Kossyo's telling u he's been such a good boy about eating that he needs a new mousie as a treat! :)