- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Today's Visit to the Vet

October 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Today, Charlie had his 3rd vaccine (he turned 3 months on Sept 26th).

Everything was going ok until the vet decided to check his teeth/mouth. Charlie put up the biggest fight I have ever seen. He emptied his bladder and his anal glands on the table and on the vet :eek: The vet assistant had to give him a bath.

I felt so bad for him.

October 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Oy! A traumatic visit! :grouphug:

But now you know that Charlie doesn't like to have his mouth messed with and, since he's so young, you have a lot of time to work on the problem :thumbs up Not a bad time to get him used to being handled all over, for that matter. Take it in baby steps...slow progress if something seems to be bothering him. Handle his legs and examine his nails, look in his ears, look in his eyes, lift his 'lips' (eventually get to the point that you're opening his mouth and looking in). Make a bit of a game of it and reward him when he does well and before too long you should have a pup that's much better behaved when he's at the vet.

One other suggestion, to keep the vet's office from being associated with scary stuff and baths, you might want to take him there occasionally just to sit in the waiting area for a few minutes. If you can get the receptionist to come over and love him up a bit, that would be great, too. Reward him with a tasty treat. Then leave. If he knows he gets loved up and gets something tasty when he's there, he'll start looking forward to going. :D

October 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have no problem touching him at home. Every night, when I watch TV, he comes and sit at my feet and I rub him, kind of like a massage. I make sure to go over his head, ears, mouth, all 4 legs, tail... Maybe he didn't feel like it today, I don't know what happened but it got ugly.

He was crying so loud when the vet was holding him on his back on the table that the people in the waiting room were asking the receptionist what was going on.

The vet and all his staff made sure to calm him down and talk to him for a few minutes after and he seemed ok. He even took a treat from the vet and played with him before leaving. I hope next time will be better.