Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog brushes?

jazzy
October 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I think I need to brush my dog. Problem? I don't have a brush. I have NEVER brushed an animal before.

What kind do I need to get? And, uh....is there any certain way to do it?

hazelrunpack
October 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Depends on what the hair is like. We have setters--silky hair with little or no undercoat--so I can use a metal thick-toothed comb. It took a while to figure out what worked best--I still have a number of brushes that we used for a while and still use the slickers after the dogs have been running in the woods.

Shiba inus have rather short coats, don't they? So your choice of brush will depend upon how much of an undercoat your dog has. Also keep in mind that as your dog matures, his coat may also change, so you may have to try out other brushes as he gets older.

Generally you brush with the hair, not against it. So you brush it smooth, rather than brush against the grain and make it stand up. Of course, if there are mats or tangles, you may have to brush both ways and maybe even use a scissors or mat-buster.

Frenchy
October 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I use a rubber brush for my Great Dane and Kelpie. I use a metal brush for my Golden and the Pom , and also a "rake" , which is great for dogs with double coats.

You can bring your dog to a pet store and ask them what type would be best for your dog.

Sib.HuskyMom
October 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I have 2 siberian huskies so a good brush is an absolute must in my house :thumbs up

I found that the ferminator works absolutely best, especially during coat blowing season. Hands down, the most effective dog brush I've ever used.

But when my guys were just wee pups and not really shedding yet, I started them out using just a slicker brush. It worked great to get them used to the experience and the sensation.

My old boy who passed away a year and a half ago was a golden retriever/ chow chow. So definitely some long thick hair, and a little wirey in some spots. The slicker worked great on him too.

Good luck! It's a great way to bond with your dog and as long as you make it a really positive experience from day one, you'll both enjoy the time together.

maneater
October 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I have tried a few brushes but i find that the furminator works the best on my cats and dogs. I use it on my short hair chi and my lab x. I am so suprised at the amount of hair it gets out and how shiny and healthy their fur looks.