Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat litter question

adammo
October 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

About a few months ago we switched our cats to pine litter. I didn't think they were having any problems until this morning. My yougest decided to take a nice poop in our unfinished lawn. At first I thought she was just playing and digging through the dirt but then she decided to go for it :). We were just near her litter box before going outdoors as I had just changed it.

Any idea what this means? Should I go back to clay? Perhaps she likes the dirt feeling/smell? The problem I have with clay is I don't think it is as dust free as 99% would indicate. The pine is cheaper as well :). She uses her little box still as far as I can tell (no poop in the house and doesn't do her business outside all the time).

Thanks for the help :)

14+kitties
October 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Nah, no need to change. She just decided she had to poop while she was outside. That's all.
I see you are still letting them out? :rolleyes:

sugarcatmom
October 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hi adammo! How did your move go? Are the kitties adjusting well?

As for the pooping in the dirt, well some cats just really like to do that (my Egypt never missed an opportunity when he was outside). It could partly be a marking behaviour. Did she bury it or just leave it exposed for all to admire? It may not mean that she doesn't like the pine when she's inside, just that she thinks other cats in the 'hood should know that she's around. Could also be that other cats have pooped there previously and she couldn't resist topping off their scent with her own. As long as she doesn't start pooping or peeing outside the box when she's inside, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

sugarcatmom
October 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I see you are still letting them out? :rolleyes:

They're supervised while outside.

Love4himies
October 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Puddles always prefers to go outside than in a litterbox. Jasper, if he has to go when he is outside, he goes, doesn't matter to him.

14+kitties
October 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM
They're supervised while outside.

I know. :thumbs up:)

adammo
October 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks so much! Glad I have nothing to worry about. It's a newly built house, with unfinished yard so the local cats could very well have used our lawn as a littler box for a while now!

14+: Still am letting them out :). I know, too much spoiling still. They don't go out as much though anymore! Perhaps it is the weather but they have been very good outside together lately. They come in after a bit of time and are very good inside as well.

To all: I know i've bugged many about my two not getting along and trying to figure out why. Well not sure what it is but they are doing awsome now :thumbs up:thumbs up. It began right before we moved and we noticed them playing with each other a bit and hanging out in the same room again. Then our closing unexpectedly became delayed with all of our stuff packed. We were really worried that we'd be stressing them out again too much. Finally we moved about a week delayed and they didn't enjoy each other too much. Pepper seemed to want to explore on her own. A couple of days later and they were back to their playful selves. I would say they chase each other around 3 times a day on the couches and up and down stairs. Things are very well, and I wanted to thank everyone that helped me :). I just couldn't believe it took so long! Clover is about 10 months old now, so perhaps Pepper sees her on her level. My girlfriend and I have been doing the happy dance for a while now watching them go crazy.

sugarcatmom
October 4th, 2009, 04:13 PM
My girlfriend and I have been doing the happy dance for a while now watching them go crazy.

I'm doing a happy dance now too, that's fantastic news! Good job. :thumbs up

Love4himies
October 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
That is great adammo. Sometimes young kittens can be a "pain" to older cats and once they settle down a bit then they are more accepted.