Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I hate to ask, but...(Cornwall)

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Sigh. I know this person who "needs" to rehome her cat. I don't agree with the reasoning for it, but she's doing it anyways. This person plans to drop him off at the SPCA if no one takes him by the weekend.

He's a very lovely and charming 7 year old black male, with a nifty little white tip on his tail, like it was dipped in paint. I absolutely can't take him myself, although his personality is tops.

Is the SPCA (Cornwall) an "ok" place for him to go, or is there a rescue I can put this person in contact with? Siiiiggghh.

Love4himies
October 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
I think they transfer some of their cats to Ottawa, Melinda should be able to confirm it.

I got Jasper from Cornwall and I did like their conditions for cats. However, I did notice that blocks of cats that have been around for a while did disappear from their website. I was always worried they were euthanized.

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Bendyfoot - no, no, no. Not this place.

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Crud. Where?

Srsly if I come home with a cat DW will freak.

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Crud. Where?

Srsly if I come home with a cat DW will freak.

Can you foster until we figure something out?

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
lemme check with DW. I am seriously likely to get vetoed on this one though. But lemme see.

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM
:sad: Yeah, that's what I thought: a resounding "no".

It is nice to be in a relationship, but sometimes it sucks getting outvoted.

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
:sad: Yeah, that's what I thought: a resounding "no".

It is nice to be in a relationship, but sometimes it sucks getting outvoted.

I hear you - hence me being single. Ok - I am putting on my thinking cap....

Melinda
October 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
cornwall is a wonderful place for cats, they often have the run of the lobby to greet guests, and yes, they are transfered to brockville, quananoque and I think smith falls?? To get more exposure, rarely rarely are they put down unless old and sick but are still given a chance, we have a new "cat" room, our last was damaged by a faulty air conditioning. we also have a new pet store that works with the spca where they will advertise and sometimes take in cats from there to be shown in their store, so I'd say if all else fails then not to worry about the cat going to our spca.

Melinda
October 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM
I think they transfer some of their cats to Ottawa, Melinda should be able to confirm it.

I got Jasper from Cornwall and I did like their conditions for cats. However, I did notice that blocks of cats that have been around for a while did disappear from their website. I was always worried they were euthanized.
not euthanized, we had a "sale" two friends for the price of one and many many were adopted out during the month of Sept. usually when you see a block of them vanish its because they have been transfered to the other spca's

bendyfoot
October 1st, 2009, 11:20 AM
BenMax, can you clarify your concerns about the Cornwall Spca?

Melinda
October 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Bendyfoot - no, no, no. Not this place.

and why not this place??

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
and why not this place??

Because it is a shelter Melinda. As all shelters they are overflowing. If we can get into a rescue the cat may have a better chance at exposure.

Are they kill or no kill?

Melinda
October 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
they are "suppose" to be a kill shelter and were 100% till we got rid of the jerk manager, this one is such a sweetie, last week 3 abused dogs were brought in, one, a nine yr old cost a fortune in operations (eye removal or rather what was left of its eye), was it put down? nope, now to be honest a fourth dog was, and had them all in tears the extent of his injuries, anyways, what I'm saying is, if a rescue which yes, is 100% times better than any spca cannot take this poor cat, then it will be cared for by the spca in Cornwall and not put down because of over population.

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM
they are "suppose" to be a kill shelter and were 100% till we got rid of the jerk manager, this one is such a sweetie, last week 3 abused dogs were brought in, one, a nine yr old cost a fortune in operations (eye removal or rather what was left of its eye), was it put down? nope, now to be honest a fourth dog was, and had them all in tears the extent of his injuries, anyways, what I'm saying is, if a rescue which yes, is 100% times better than any spca cannot take this poor cat, then it will be cared for by the spca in Cornwall and not put down because of over population.

Good to know Melinda. To be honest with you I have not heard great things but perhaps when it was managed by the other.

We will try a rescue route. If that does not work then this may be the only option.... Thanks for the info.:thumbs up

Love4himies
October 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
cornwall is a wonderful place for cats, they often have the run of the lobby to greet guests, and yes, they are transfered to brockville, quananoque and I think smith falls?? To get more exposure, rarely rarely are they put down unless old and sick but are still given a chance, we have a new "cat" room, our last was damaged by a faulty air conditioning. we also have a new pet store that works with the spca where they will advertise and sometimes take in cats from there to be shown in their store, so I'd say if all else fails then not to worry about the cat going to our spca.

I don't think they are taken to Gan., but I could be wrong.

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Melinda - do they work with rescues? Is it possible to get me in? I need someone who knows them to help with this.

Melinda
October 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
to be honest, I don't know benmax, I know they wouldn't before, I tried to get info on a beagle I'd borrowed for the wiggle waggle and the "then" manager closed right up and refused to give me any information about him, when I explained I worked with rescues and wanted to try to get him a home.

BenMax
October 1st, 2009, 01:04 PM
to be honest, I don't know benmax, I know they wouldn't before, I tried to get info on a beagle I'd borrowed for the wiggle waggle and the "then" manager closed right up and refused to give me any information about him, when I explained I worked with rescues and wanted to try to get him a home.

:offtopic:Unfortunately alot of shelters do not allow rescues. I always try to promote them bringing down their euthanasia rate which is good for 'publicity' and during their annual general meetings. No go. Luckily here there are shelters which will assist.

I also tried desperately with a pound in Quebec and also Ontario. I was turned down flat. So sad. I now opt to not see these animals as I know their fate. I wish I could just win a lottery. Imagine the mountains we could move.

Melinda -if you find out please let me know. I know of many rescues just itching to get an 'in'.

Love4himies
October 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM
:offtopic:Unfortunately alot of shelters do not allow rescues. I always try to promote them bringing down their euthanasia rate which is good for 'publicity' and during their annual general meetings. No go. Luckily here there are shelters which will assist.

I also tried desperately with a pound in Quebec and also Ontario. I was turned down flat. So sad. I now opt to not see these animals as I know their fate. I wish I could just win a lottery. Imagine the mountains we could move.

Melinda -if you find out please let me know. I know of many rescues just itching to get an 'in'.

That is really too bad.

I think the shelter luvmylab works with or has knowledge of works with the local pound. It helps reduce the amount of euthanization, helps unsocialable dogs become loving pets and adoptable.

To me, for a shelter to not work with a rescue is all about control.

Gan HS does work with Rescues for their dogs, cats are fostered.

Melinda
October 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
a lot of the dogs are put into foster homes to get use to indoor living or while they heal from surgeries etc. Not sure about the cats, its possible that they are also

Shaykeija
October 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Sigh, I guess I am lucky here. They allow rescues to pull dogs and cats here. And they foster many also....