Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

At The Fair-Birds of Prey

ownedbycats
September 29th, 2009, 11:21 AM
(Warning:Picture heavy. Sorry Hazel:sorry:)For the last several years of the fair, the Canadian Raptor Conservancy has run a demonstration where they bring live birds of prey and fly them for an audience. This year was the 3rd or 4th time I've seen it and I finally remembered to take a camera. I know these pictures aren't all that great but I thought you guys would enjoy just seeing the birds. Starting off, a familiar bird, the red-tailed hawk.

ownedbycats
September 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
This bird you won't see unless you go see a show like this one, or unless the bird is really, really lost. This is the Harris hawk. It lives in the southwestern United States, and it prefers deserts. In the desert it uses cactuses as perches, so it has very gentle feet. The one at the fair was named Woody and had been trained to pick out somebody with a hat on their head and land there. when the trainer called Woody back, he refused to let go fo his "prey" and took the hat with him! Woody has been used in several movies.

ownedbycats
September 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
This is the Great-Horned Owl. It's hard to show scale in these pictures but she was quite large. This owl is apparently Ontario's largest nesting owl.

ownedbycats
September 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
This is the American Kestrel, the smallest bird of prey there that day. Known as the farmer's friend for the amount of mice they can eat in a day.

ownedbycats
September 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
The last bird of the day was the largest, the golden eagle. The last one shows off his golden head feathers, the middle shows off his wingspan. And the females are approsimately a 1/3 larger thaan the males. All the birds at the show had been bred and raised in captivity. The Raptor Conservancy takes in injured wild birds, but rleeases them as soon as they are well enough.

Sylvie
September 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Wonderful pictures, what fair was this at???

ownedbycats
September 29th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I took these at the Western Fair in London Ontario. (one more just because the eagle is so handsome and you can see his golden eyes.)

Melinda
September 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
what beautiful pictures!! I just love owls, we had many in our barns and around my home now is one snowy owl who treats us yearly by catching a "meal" in front of our home , usually its quite dark when he does this but its usually in the winter so we can easily pick him out.

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Not so hard to download the pics today :thumbs up

Cool birds!! I'd never pass up a chance to hold an eagle, even if it means risking a little blood. :laughing: But my fave is that cute male kestrel--and he's less likely to put a talon all the way through your arm if you're holding one! :laughing: Love the tail on that Harris Hawk, too. Very handsome!

chico2
September 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
love them all,I have seen Kestrels here and a few different Hawks,but never an Owl,I am always in awe over the beauty of these birds.

Jim Hall
September 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
we get kestrels in the suburbs aroung here i used to work by a lake and would sit outside and watch them knock out mice and chipmunks

lol woody and the hat trick :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
September 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Great pics :thumbs up thanks for sharing :D Love the feather colour pattern on the Harris hawk. I didn't know Kestrels had blue feathers :cool: The eagle of course is my fave though I do prefer the bald eagles. :lovestruck:

I had the opportunity several years ago to visit Orphaned Wild Life (OWL) Rehab Centre out here in BC. At the time they had a redtailed hawk, a pair of snowy owls, a golden eagle that were permanent residents due to injury and a Bald eagle they were rehabbing for release & I got to see it fairly close up in the flight pen where they were testing flying maneuverability to see how soon they could release him.

rainbow
September 30th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Wonderful pics ....thanks for sharing. :thumbs up

I love all the birds of prey. :cloud9: