Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick puppy that won't eat

Sassie
August 20th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I have an 8 month old Basenji female who is very very small, about 2 weeks ago she stopped eating. She was so this I took her to the vet and did every test known to man. The vet consensus was that there was nothing wrong. We then did an EPI test that came back low but in the normal range. I am now putting her on enzymes but she won't eat dry dog food. While she was ill I was making her dog food and she ate that down. I just don't think it's that she's picky, it seems to upset her stomach. I'm not sure what else to do, she needs to eat but the home made dog food is very expensive, it is upsetting my other dog's digestion, and is not good for their teeth. I've done my research about EPI and I'm not as convinced as my vet that that is what is going on here. She does have loose stools and diahrea. She also seems unhappy since we changed her food. What do I do?

Lucky Rescue
August 20th, 2004, 01:59 PM
What is the home made dog food you are feeding?

Have you tried a premium brand canned food, like Wellness, California Natural, Innova, etc?

Contrary to advertising, dry food is no better for a dog's teeth than canned. Tooth problems are caused by neglect.

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Again I agree with everything LR says. Dry food can't clean the teeth, it just breaks and crumbles apart.

What are you feeding right now?

Sassie
August 20th, 2004, 03:35 PM
The homemade dog food I was making had beef, chicken, liver, rice, veggies and eggs in it. She was gaining a lot of weight on it even though it was fat free, but my other dog can't eat that food as I think it is too rich for him. The problem there is that they won't eat if they are kept apart. The dry dog food they are on is science diet puppy food mixed with hills t/d. The t/d is a tooth maintenance diet and worksvery well. When I first got her she was eating dry food without a problem, only this last month has she stopped eating it. We have also put her on a cycle of apo-sulfatrim in case she had a parasite that was not detected. I have been back and forth to the vet but I want to know what the root of the problem is. If it is something contagious are my dogs passing it back and forth to each other? And what other illness's could have these symptoms?

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 03:36 PM
If you are home cooking you shouldn't MIX any two meats together.

For example, one meal can be beef and another chicken but not at the same time.

goldenblaze
August 20th, 2004, 03:52 PM
If you are home cooking you shouldn't MIX any two meats together.

For example, one meal can be beef and another chicken but not at the same time.

Can you please tell me what all you do put in homemade dog food, I need for puppy growth and 4 yrs is it the same in homemade food? You think that would be better for Blaze than Nutro till we know his mange is gone.
Thanks, I always feel like you have a answer to any of my problems. ;)

Sassie
August 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I will keep in mind that the different meats should be separated, but I don't know what the original cause of her not eating and diahrea is. I am very concerned about what to feed her now. She absolutely refuses to eat the dry dog food and Whiskey, my male cannot eat anything but dry food without getting sick. And they refuse to eat apart. My real problem is that my vet is pretty young, about 25 years old. And I think he's great, but I'm just not convinced that my dog has EPI. Which is a pancreas disorder where she cannot break down fats. My instincts tell me that she may have an intolerance to the preservatives in dry dog food because that is the only thing that she will not eat. And she will starve rather than eat it. Has anyone had any experience with something like this, or has any ideas on what to do to find the root of the problem.

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 04:22 PM
The last thing u want to feed a dog with a pancreatic problem is fatty meats like hamburger or gravy from a roast.
Feed lean cuts of meat like skinless chicken and turkey. Stew beaf is okay as long as not too fatty.

Blaze can have home made food OR you can supplement by ADDING some fresh food to his current diet.

Give him say one really good home cooked meal a day with supplements of vitamin e and fish oil

Stay away from hamburger or greasy meats.

Add fresh veggies and fruit to the diet.

No onions/grapes

goldenblaze
August 20th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Feed lean cuts of meat like skinless chicken and turkey. Stew beaf is okay as long as not too fatty.

Blaze can have home made food OR you can supplement by ADDING some fresh food to his current diet.

Give him say one really good home cooked meal a day with supplements of vitamin e and fish oil

Stay away from hamburger or greasy meats.

Add fresh veggies and fruit to the diet.

No onions/grapes

I did know about onions's why grapes?
Blaze does eat fruit and other stuff like cottage chesse, stew and loves chicken breast and brown rice. I add his oil everyday 3 times so I have to give 3 little special meals to him to take his meds and he is just thinking hey this is great love these special meals. :rolleyes:

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Grapes are toxic to dogs as well.
sounds like u got your bases covered :D you're doing great

Sassie
August 20th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Are you saying that my dog sounds like she has EPI? For that I have been giving her lean meats and fresh produce with rice but the vet says I can't feed her any fats including oils unless I giver enzyme supplements. What I am primarily concerned with though is if I am treating the right problem. Is there some parasite, bacteria or infection that is hard to test for that would cause anorexia in dogs as well as lack of energy and loose bowel movements. It got to the point where she was having violent bouts of diahrea that was very greasy and oily. The other thing is if she has EPI, should I be making her dog food or is it better to have her on dog food?

goldenblaze
August 20th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Grapes are toxic to dogs as well.
sounds like u got your bases covered :D you're doing great

I never knew that grapes are toxic, you know there is a new puppy food at Pet Valu that is natural that has grapes I am not sure of the name I will look next time I go for pets food.

I only know this because before Blaze came home I really started looking into puppy food ( gross ) feet, blood brain.
I wanted all natural food and the stuff with grapes was offered to me, again I will check it out and let you know or maybe someone might know the name of it. :)

boris
August 20th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I have an 8 month old Basenji female who is very very small, about 2 weeks ago she stopped eating. She was so this I took her to the vet and did every test known to man. The vet consensus was that there was nothing wrong. We then did an EPI test that came back low but in the normal range. I am now putting her on enzymes but she won't eat dry dog food. While she was ill I was making her dog food and she ate that down. I just don't think it's that she's picky, it seems to upset her stomach. I'm not sure what else to do, she needs to eat but the home made dog food is very expensive, it is upsetting my other dog's digestion, and is not good for their teeth. I've done my research about EPI and I'm not as convinced as my vet that that is what is going on here. She does have loose stools and diahrea. She also seems unhappy since we changed her food. What do I do?

If you're not sure this vet is correct, then simply pick up the lab results from the vet and then go to another vet for a second opinion.

Luba
August 20th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I really dont' know whats wrong with your dog but the quality of food can only help improve ANY illness :D thats my thought!!

Grapes and raisins are toxic in high quantities but I'm not sure about that food u mention for Blaze :D

suzyljank
August 23rd, 2004, 01:03 AM
Hi, I'm sorry about your little one. I had a similar problem. I also have two dogs but my female suddenly couldn't tolerate the food I was giving her. It was causing loose stools and sometimes vomitting. It turned out that she has something like colitis. She has a very sensitive stomach and I have to be very careful what I feed her. It took me almost a year to find a food she could eat and that her brother could eat too. I was really at a lose for a while. I finally found Nutro Max for seniors even though she wasn't a senior at the time. It's a dry food but I also make up a mixture of cooked chicken and rice. I keep that frozen, I just break off a piece and microwave it to thaw it out and mix a little with the dry food and it seems to be okay. Both of my dogs have been on this for over a year. I also limit treats to the same brand like the dry dog food I buy. If you're little one has a sensitive tummy it's best not to give her too many different things. Find something that she likes and that she does well on and stick to it........ One other thing, make sure she isn't chewing on something in your home or your yard that could be making her sick, like a plant or paint etc. Good luck......Suzy