Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vlad scared the heck out of me this morning!

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Ugh, I just wrote this and lost it.

My boy got his head stuck in one of the squares of the lattice. I managed to call my neighbor and have her come over, but in cutting him out of the lattice, she sliced through my finger.

I felt so bad for Vlad. Poor guy was so scared. He's okay now, just sort of still freaked out I think, but relaxing on his bed. Me? After trying to get to an urgent care center, two of which were closed! I just came home and my neighbor's hubby got me some iodine and bandages at the drug store. My finger looks totally nasty. If you want to see, click here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/011.jpg).

Now I have to figure out what to put up on the lattice to block Vlad from trying to get his head in there again. Not that I think it's going to happen anytime soon, since was pretty shaken up.

Jim Hall
September 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
:wall: just when you think cats are smart......

14+kitties
September 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Ouch!!! I hope you have that finger protected. I hate cuts like that. They take a long time to heal and are in rotten spots!!!
Can you find some lattice like this.......
The squares are a lot smaller and will still provide the privacy.

CearaQC
September 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Ouch your poor finger! (I was brave enough to look! :laughing:)

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2009, 02:41 PM
14+, when I went looking for lattice, they didn't have enough of he small ones so I had to use the larger holed ones.

I just got back from the vet too! It seems when he was flailing around he messed up his nail. They wrapped his paw up to his elbow, and not 5 minutes after we got home, he got it off. He'd driving me nuts! He won't let me put anything on him and I have no newspaper to put in the litter. I'm going to have to go across the street to see if I can find some. I can't afford the yesterdays news, because I spend the last 20 I had to buy a clear plastic cover to put on the bottom of the lattice so he can't get his head in there again!

I feel like screaming.

chico2
September 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Aww A-G,the things these little guy do:yell:and keping a bandage on a cat is next to impossible,I hope his wound is not too bad:fingerscr
You got a bad owie yourself,just make sure you keep it clean,it should be ok:grouphug:

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I shredded some newspaper, and put some in all their boxes. I gave him a pain pill and the first of his antibiotics. He's a good boy, they're pills and he ate them down with a bit of cheese.:D

My finger on the other hand is killing me. I made the mistake of just pouring the iodine on my finger instead of just patting it on with a cotton swab. :yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell:. Oy! I thought I was going to faint. I had to come sit down. It really hurts. I took one of those Aleve pills and hopefully it will help.

edwina
September 28th, 2009, 07:18 PM
:grouphug: Hope your finger gets better :pray:
Bad Vlad :headslap: You shouldnt scare mom like that :2huggers:

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks Edwina. I should be okay in a few days. My boy is sleeping. The bet told me the pain meds might make him sleep a bit more. I gave him one before he ate. I know he had to have been in pain. We both practically have the same type of wound, and mine hurts, so I know his must too.

I'm worried about the litter though. I've got newspaper in all the boxes and I don't think anybody is too interested.

aslan
September 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
AG you should have gotten the vet to look at your booboo while you were there. try to keep you finger elevated and if you can put ice on your wrist. I am the queen of finger owies. it should help.

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2009, 08:32 PM
AG you should have gotten the vet to look at your booboo while you were there. try to keep you finger elevated and if you can put ice on your wrist. I am the queen of finger owies. it should help.

Aslan, I thought about asking the vet to have a look, but by the time she brought Vlad back to me I'd forgotten.

My finger feels okay now. As long as I don't hit it against anything I'm okay. It would have hurt more to pay $200 at the ER!

krdahmer
September 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Yeeouch for you and Vlad!!! Hope he's relaxing and make sure you keep that finger of yours clean. I had one like that my first christmas with the in-laws, got me kicked out of the kitchen actually.... All I did was clean, use polysporin and bandage it....if the bandaid isn't one that is covered on all four sides you might want to get some medical tape to cover the whole tip of your finger too.... it healed good, although the flap of skin did dry out and fall off....ew!

Dee-O-Gee
September 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Oh man what an owie AG! :sick: I was curious and took a peak.

Keep it clean and wrapped. Polysporin works really well to keep out infection.

Poor Vlad--please give him :grouphug: :grouphug:'s

ancientgirl
September 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Kr, Kimccallum, I've been washing it with Hydrogen peroxide and putting iodine on it every few hours and putting a fresh bandage. I don't have polysporin but I do have neosporine somewhere. Don't know why I didn't think of that for me and Vlad.

He's a bit loopy. I gave him a pill for pain a couple of hours ago. The vet said to give him one twice a day for the next 7 days. I may not use it for 7 days. I don't like seeing him so loopy. I'm thinking maybe after tomorrow he won't be in too much pain. We both got pretty much a similar ouchie and mine doesn't hurt too much. I'll see how he's treating it after tomorrow.

My poor boy. I felt so bad for him.

TeriM
September 29th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Poor Vlad and you :eek:. Hope you both feel better soon :goodvibes: :goodvibes:.

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Ditch the peroxide, AG. It kills germs but also attacks healthy tissue, so it's not recommended to use it much past the first cleaning. The ointment should be sufficient now. :thumbs up When I had a similar injury from a meat slicer on my thumb the cloth bandages worked the best--felt better, too. :o

I hope you both heal up fast!!! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Ditch the peroxide, AG. It kills germs but also attacks healthy tissue, so it's not recommended to use it much past the first cleaning. The ointment should be sufficient now. :thumbs up When I had a similar injury from a meat slicer on my thumb the cloth bandages worked the best--felt better, too. :o

I hope you both heal up fast!!! :goodvibes: :grouphug:

Thanks Hazel, I didn't know that about the peroxide. I'll just use the iodine until I can find the neosporine I have at home. It's actually feeling better today, unless of course I accidentally hit my finger against something or rub it on something, like a pen when I have to write! OMG I see stars!

I gave Vlad his antibiotic and pain med with his favorite cheese this morning and he was a happy camper. I also ran his paw under the water after he went to the litter. He should be mellow for most of the day, much to Oksana's pleasure. :laughing:

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Yum! Cheese :cloud9: What did he think about the quick rinse? :eek:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, he loves cheese so it's easy to hide the pills in some. He didn't mind the quick rinse. I think I'll do that later too, just run it under some warm water and pat it dry.

hazelrunpack
September 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Geez...he's better with the water than the setters are, then! Lil Belle is so water-phobic that if it's dewy outside, it's hard to convince her to pee! She hates wet paws! :laughing:

More :goodvibes: for quick recoveries.

rainbow
September 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
YOWZERS & OUCH :eek: ....BIG hugs to you and Vlad. :grouphug: :grouphug:

And, speedy healing. :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
September 29th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Hazel, Rainbow. I think my filet will heal up in time. My biggest worry is making sure Vlad's nail doesn't get infected. :pray: