Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teeny, tiny victory

muggsmom
September 26th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I live in a small town with one pet store that we will no longer shop at (that's another post). Last week I was visiting my Dad in the city and went to a large mall and saw a large pet store. I headed for it, planning everything I would buy and mentally checking my bank account, only to stop dead at the doorway. PUPPIES!!!! Pugs, boxers, a great dane, etc. I was furious!

I'm a very shy, quiet person who likes to fade into the background and would rather die than make a scene, but something just snapped. The manager was at one of the checkouts talking to the cashier and there were 3 people in line. I went over and told her that I was from a small town and had been planning to drop a bundle in her store, but I refused to support someone who supported puppy mills. She started going on about how they were not from puppy mills, but good breeders, she had paperwork, blah, blah, blah.

I told her that I may live in a small town, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, and there was not a reputable breeder in the world that would sell their pups to a pet store. I told her she disgusted me and I didn't know how she lived with herself, then I left.

I looked behind me as I walked out the door, and two of the three people in line left their things on the counter and walked out behind me!!!!!!!!!

As I said, a teeny, tiny victory; there were still lots of people in the store, but, man, it felt good!

Frenchy
September 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
wooohooo muggsmom !!!! You go girl , rrrreeeerrrr ! :thumbs up

I had that same speech last year at a pet store .... and was also told the puppies came from good breeders :rolleyes: people who breed their dogs just for THAT store , I told her : so you have your own private puppy mill , just for you .... nice , very nice :frustrated:

I would love to set up a table with puppy mills pictures and infos , right in front of these stores. :D

Love4himies
September 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM
:thumbs up:thumbs up Good for you, we need more people to stand up for these poor animals. :grouphug:

diandpat
September 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
"they come from good breeders" is the company line...the owners know better and the employees don't even think to ask a lot of the times.

I have a friend who works for one of the dog food company's that also has pet stores and when I told him I did not buy his company's food because I could not go into a store that sold live animals he told me too that they come from breeders. He even asked!!! lol I laughed and pointed out that no reputable breeder would send their puppies to live in stalls alone 12 hrs a day while the store was closed...made sense to him but he was truly shocked.

This is a real nice decent guy who knows how I feel about animals. I could tell that I had just taught him something.

Education is power! Good for you muggsmom!

maneater
September 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I do the same thing. I don't frequent pet stores that sell puppies and kittens like that. It just makes me sick. There is one here that I jsut love. it is a locally owned and operated store that has amazing staff and they help with a local not for proffit group in getting cats and dogs life long homes. Great job for standing up for the puppies! :thumbs up:

ancientgirl
September 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Good for you!:thumbs up

Helene4
September 27th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Way to go!!!:highfive: You did the right thing!:thumbs up

chico2
September 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
The last time I went in to a Pet-Store with puppies I left in tears,went straight to HS and they told me they are constantly checking that store.
I was ecstatic to see the store closed a short time later,we have NO petstores selling kittens/puppies anymore:thumbs up
Pleading ignorance is no longer an excuse,people must know by now,where pet-store animals come from:sad:
Muggsmom,thank's!!

Sylvie
September 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Way to go guys,:thumbs up why are people so stupid.:frustrated: Even when they hear about puppy mills and are told by friends and co workers they still go and buy from the pet stores. :wall::wall:

Chaser
September 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Good job! :thumbs up And so nice to hear that some others who heard you followed suit!

14+kitties
September 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
:thumbs up Good job!!! Now come here and do the same for the pet store in my town!! :frustrated: