Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Infection in Bengal Queen

Bren600
September 25th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Hi, everyone, this is my very first post. I have a Bengal queen who has had 3 litters. The first litter was normal (according to the breeder who then owned her), 4 beautiful kittens, 2 males and 2 females. When I bought her I waited 6 months before breeding to make sure she was acclimatized, happy and healthy. Her 2nd litter had 4 kittens, 1 stillborn and one died later supposedly of fading cat syndrome. I had a necropsy done and there seemed to be no reason for her to die Her 3rd litter she had 3 kittens, 2 stillborn. All the dead kittens were females and only males survived. She is up-to-date on all her shots, and is fed top quality cat food. All the kittens in the last two litters were born with blue coats. Once the living kittens were weaned they reverted to normal coloring. After the first litter we had extensive bloodwork done and could find nothing wrong. My vet said that Bengals were such a new breed that this was probably a fluke that would not happen again so many months later we tried again with the same result. I have been to several vets and no one can tell me what the problem is. Needless to say, she is now spayed. I am very happy that my girl is all right but I would really like to know what caused this. I have had a cattery for many years and have never run across this. One of the vets suggested that she had a high body temperature that affected the kittens coat, however he took her temperature and it was normal. Does anyone have any information on this?

pbpatti
September 26th, 2009, 12:02 AM
umm, Sorry but do you think maybe she has had enough litters and it's time to spay her. I am sorry I did not read to the end of your post. I see that she is spayed.

hazelrunpack
September 26th, 2009, 12:12 AM
It might have been something genetic--a lethal recessive, perhaps? Hard to tell. Some traits are sex-linked and only affect one gender...which could explain why only the fems died. Regardless, sounds like spaying was a good choice for both mother and preventing any future litters.

growler~GateKeeper
September 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
The blue spotting is a recessive gene and one apparently classed as an "unwanted gene". Normally when born blue the coat stays that colour. :shrug:

If you want more information about this I would suggest you contant some Bengal breeders, as the members on this site are pro spay/neuter and are not very familiar with breeding, more familiar with rescue work.

I'm glad you've had this cat spayed and would suggest to have her remaining kittens s/n as they may pass on whatever gene abnormality is causing this.

Love4himies
September 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I second growler's advice.

This queen and her offspring should not be breed to possibly carry on this gene. It will be best for the breed.

lUvMyLaB<3
September 26th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I third that advice! These kittens should never be bred, it def sounds genetic if it repeatedly affected males, did you breed her to the same male each time? Same male as the original breeder? Those would be the first questions to know who is passing the gene.

You say you run a cattery. . So as someone that gives so much to save unwanted cats along with a few others here i must add this. . Why? I have a friend that has rescued 6 bengals, from our sparsely populated area alone. There are so many cats, the numbers that are killed everyday are staggering. I try and save as many as i can, but it is not enough. Imagine if every home you gave a kitten to rescued one instead how many lives you could have saved? I have had my heart broken so many times by taking in a pregnant mother cat that someone thought should be bred. Everyone from breeders to the person who lets an intact cat out and 'accidently' breeds is at fault here, and should be taking some of the blame for all the innocent lives that are lost. So i ask why breed more cats when there are already too many? I am glad your cat is spayed and doing well.

catlover2
September 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Did you have your queen blood typed and the stud(s) you used? Did your vet test for this? It could also be genetics of stud & your queen did not "nick" well together....did you use same stud each time or different ones? Were they very closely related? Inbreeding does not usually go well with cats. Another possibility is environmental----either diet related, something lacking in her food, some sort of toxin in the environment. These are my guesses, but you'll probably never know, but I suspect it may have been blood type incompatibility. Thats what it sounds like to me:

http://www.messybeast.com/bloodgroups.htm

You did the right thing in having her spayed.