3 dogs rescued in Cornwall

Melinda
September 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
this was in our paper this morning, I'll be sending to them this morning

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1766669

'Disgusting'-OSPCA investigating terrible cruelty case
Posted By DAVID NESSETH DNESSETH@ STANDARD-FREEHOLDER.COM
Posted 1 hour ago

An investigation that may lead to animal cruelty charges is underway after four local dogs were seized last week.

A Bichon frise, Shih Tzu and a pug are now in the care of the S, D andGbranch of the SPCA.

Another Bichon Frise recovered from the property needed to be euthanized because of its injuries.

"These dogs don't look anything like they did before," said Bonnie Bishop, animal cruelty investigator for S, D and G and Prescott-Russell, as she let the tiny trio out of their cage. Bishop suspects the dogs had access to food and water, but little else.

"It's animals that are being stressed because their medical needs are not being met. These are many of the calls I get," she said.

Bishop said the dogs have been revitalized through their care in recent days, though one is slated for surgery Thursday to remove a remnant of its destroyed eye. Much of the area around the eye socket has become infected, Bishop said. The dogs' teeth were in such bad condition that some of them needed to be removed. Also, their fur was so matted that it prevented the dogs from relieving themselves. Fecal matter and urine were embedded in their coats, which led to skin irritation.

Details about where the dogs came from and the circumstances surrounding their conditions are not available until Bishop concludes her investigation.

The shelter estimates the ages of the dogs may range from six to 10, which shelter manager Carol Link hopes won't be a barrier to adoption.

"They've been through so much already, we didn't want them to have a long shelter stay," Link said. "They deserve to have the last years of their lives in a loving environment."

Bishop says the dogs have great personalities and are quite social.

The shelter has spent more than $400 on treatment for just one of the dogs. It is unknown how much care the other dogs may require.

"It's disgusting, the conditions they were in," Link said.

The shelter, which costs more than $300,000 each year to operate, runs a consistent deficit.

In late August, the Standard-Freeholder documented a one-eyed pug who needed a home after her owners couldn't afford her medical bills. That pug has since found a new home.

To foster one of the dogs post-surgery or to adopt, visit www.sdg.ontariospca.ca or call 613-936-0072.

Sheri H
September 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
omg, my eyes welled up just reading a bit of that. I will never understand how people can be so cruel to something that just wants to love you and be loved. If you don't want the pet, don't get one or find someone who does. I think people like this should be stoned.

Shaykeija
September 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I wish I had room for 3 more...:sad: I could give them the love they need..

Love4himies
September 24th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Aww, these poor pups :sad:. I agree, sheri, if you can't take care of your pets, rehome them.