Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bake Sale Hits or Misses

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hello Pets members,

I am volunteering at a bake sale for a rescue org and want to make tons of cash. lol.
What are your top selling bake sale items? What do people fight to buy?
Any duds- I am thinking fruit cake is a definite NO. (Who eats the stuff anyway?!?)
Cheers.

hazelrunpack
September 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Chocolate chip cookies are always good sellers! I let the batter rest in the fridge for a few hours so that the cookies cook up thicker and a little softer, then package them in baggies or colored celophane food wrap...usually 6 in a pack. :thumbs up They go like hotcakes. D

krdahmer
September 23rd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Oh for sure Hazel! We just had a bake sale at work and made over $400 for charity.... the big sellers were seasonal packaged cookies (halloween with candy corn), chocolate chip cookies with smarties or m&m's on a popcicle stick, and tarts in 4 packs. I also found that what little sugar free baked goods we did have went really quick, there are a lot of people watching what they eat nowadays. Good luck with your bake sale! Also make sure everything is packaged in celophane or cling wrap or those treat bags, people prefer to get things that look like they haven't been sitting out.

Masha
September 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
the banana muffins and other 'breads' or 'mini muffins' are usually left over on the table.

brownies go well, so do cookies. good luck! maybe make some dog cookies for the pet parents :)

BenMax
September 23rd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Sugar cookies, lemon squares, any nutty squares and when there are kids...oh yes who can resist rice crispy squares with drizzles of chocolate on some - white and dark chocolate.

It's all in the packaging as well. Add bows and ribbons. Smart little packages and maybe a little note on the package saying something like thank you for saving a life...something along those lines.

Best of luck to you and of course the rescue. Hope it is a success!:thumbs up

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions. I will work on designing adorable labels.

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Let me know if you need any help in the graphics department :thumbs up You know I love doing it, and to help animals is worth it even more :D

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
:flirt:- Twintails, how could I say no?
That would be sooooo stupendous.
I was thinking of something like...

Eat dessert, save a life.

What do you think?

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Perfect! Any particular animal that you rescue? Or breed? Any theme? Oh, and what size sould they be?

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
all dogs, all shapes, all sizes- especially the older ones

Anything you think will work well- I trust your artistic judgement. Everything you have created is gorgeous.

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
Aww, thanks :D When do you need them by?

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Saturday, Oct.4th. Would that be okay?

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Oh sure, loads of time :D

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hon, what is the name of the rescue?

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hopeful Hearts
http://hopefulhearts.ca/

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Here is a rough draft of one, what do you think? It's credit card sized (3.5" x 2.5"), prefect for printing (200 DPI). Left enough white space to write the name of the treat and border space to punch a hole :)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/taradkpsp/HH1.png

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 07:54 PM
:lovestruck: It adorable! I love it.

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
Glad you like it, here is another draft :)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/taradkpsp/HH2.png

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
OH! That one is even more perfect!!!!:cloud9::lovestruck:
I love it!

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Is "even more perfect" grammatically correct?
I think it is exquisite.

coppperbelle
September 23rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Fudge is a great seller especially if you package it in small quantities. I work in a school and see a lot of bake sales. Muffins don't sell well. How about raffling a really nice homemade cheesecake?

Macomom
September 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
Good idea. My mother makes fudge, perhaps I can talk her into a donation...

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Here is a little one, this one would fit a sticky label (address label 2.5" x 1").

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/taradkpsp/HH3.png

TwinTails
September 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
And yet another one ;)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/taradkpsp/HH4.png

Macomom, can you please let the rescue know that if they ever need any flyers, brochures, etc done, I would be happy to help out in the graphics department. I love advertising and graphic design, so anything I can do for them, please feel free to let me know. That actually goes for everyone out there. I can also design things (postcards, notecards, address labels, etc), if anyone needs some items to sell/auction for their rescue (I have thousands of commercial use stock images, my own artwork as well as items I design on the computer). I also make scrapbook kits (digital), and would be willing to make some for donations (you could sell them on the rescues website). :)

clm
September 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM
The bake sales I used to work for my aunt for their annual church bazarre always sold out on the buttertarts first. Tarts of all kinds were really popular, buttertarts, lemon curd tarts, pecan tarts, raspberry tarts.
Then the brownies and the squares sold out. I used to enjoy all the baking that went on before the sale. It was a lot of work, but loads of fun.

clm

Macomom
September 24th, 2009, 07:39 AM
TwinTails, thank you so much for your generosity. You have no idea how wonderful it is to have your gorgeous artwork to leverage. Thank you!
Thank you! Thank you!

BenMax
September 24th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Twin Tails - your work is absolutely amazing. This will definately help in the fundraiser for this rescue (whoever you are :thumbs up).

Just the pictures alone would make me want to participate in the event. Excellent work:thumbs up

TwinTails
September 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM
:o Aww, shucks :o Anything I can do to help, let me know :) :grouphug:

Melinda
September 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
where is the bake sale taking place? I always support hopeful hearts when I'm in ottawa, oh and the sale we had we found single slices of cheesecake went like crazy as did the 6 pack of home made doggie cookies.

Macomom
September 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM
The bakesale is on Oct 4th in Navan. It is taking place at Navan at the Anglican Church, after the blessing of the animals. Check it out here:
http://hopefulhearts.ca/events.htm

Macomom
October 5th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hello, hello, hello....
The Bake Sale went really really well.
So, the grand total was....and remember, just cookies and squares and things....

$650.00!!!:thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and comments. I really appreciated the guidance.
Cheers!

BenMax
October 5th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hello, hello, hello....
The Bake Sale went really really well.
So, the grand total was....and remember, just cookies and squares and things....

$650.00!!!:thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and comments. I really appreciated the guidance.
Cheers!

Get OUT!!! That is amazing! Congrats to you...ummm can I have some recipes???

So what were the hits and what were the misses?

Macomom
October 5th, 2009, 09:52 AM
We set up plates and sold things in bulk. For instance choose 6 of any squares and pay us $4.50. Most people don't want change from this amount, and just gave it to us...
We sold 1/2 dozen cookies, instead of individual ones so we could charge a higher price. We sold more items when we allowed people to taste samples.
We also had some of the adoptable dogs onsite, and this brought people to us, and softened them up a bit!

Macomom
October 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Let me know the next time you have a bakesale- I will send you stuff, Benmax :)

BenMax
October 5th, 2009, 09:54 AM
We set up plates and sold things in bulk. For instance choose 6 of any squares and pay us $4.50. Most people don't want change from this amount, and just gave it to us...
We sold 1/2 dozen cookies, instead of individual ones so we could charge a higher price. We sold more items when we allowed people to taste samples.
We also had some of the adoptable dogs onsite, and this brought people to us, and softened them up a bit!

That is fantastic. Great Job and all my best to this rescue. Wonderful news and every penny counts!:thumbs up

(looks like I better take up some baking...)

TwinTails
October 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
:thumbs up Whoo Hoo!!! :highfive: :highfive: :highfive: Congrats!! So glad everything worked out so well :grouphug:

Love4himies
October 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Wow, great job!!! :highfive: :thumbs up.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Good job, MM! :highfive:

dollface
October 6th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Here is a rough draft of one, what do you think? It's credit card sized (3.5" x 2.5"), prefect for printing (200 DPI). Left enough white space to write the name of the treat and border space to punch a hole :)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q224/taradkpsp/HH1.png

TwinTails, what font is that? You're abilities in graphic design are amazing!:thumbs up

TwinTails
October 6th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thank you Dollface! The font is called Elegent :lovestruck:

dollface
October 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Is that a Windows Font?

TwinTails
October 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Nope, it's a free font, you can get it here: http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Elegant.htm

dollface
October 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thank you so much TwinTails! You're the bestest! :D

TwinTails
October 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
No problem :D