Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think I'm a germaphobe..

onster
September 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
all those microbio classes will do it to you!

No, but seriously. I have yet to cook a meal in my new place. Despite having asthma I used heavy duty cleaning products and scrubbed like mad for 2 days to clean the apartment.

But now every time I think of cooking I get kinda grossed out. I spot corners in the kitchen which I couldnt quite reach :yuck: ...or I think of the carpet in the kitchen (seriously???) and how many things couldve been spilled on it.

Worst of all, the previous resident (old lady) kindly left me lotsa her dishes and stuff. At first I thought cool...don't need to waste money on those things! Washed everthing thoroughly in hot water...now the thought of eating from those dishes irks me.

I think I have issues lol. I know Im being silly. I know Im crazy when I think the water from the kitchen faucet has a weird smell! well not bad..just more metallic? :shrug:

Its weird Im not like this at home. I mean I wont eat things that have been sitting out (thank u again microbio) whereas pretty much all my family will ..but I have no qualms cooking food.

Ah well. Good thing Im going home again this weekend, lol. I need some homecooked food. I can only survive on so much hummus (thank u baba) and pita.

I know I know ure all thinking Im crazy :crazy:

Oh oh and the apartment doesnt smell like home yet. It still smells like the old lady...which doesnt help. I want it to smell like home :sad:

onster
September 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Heck right now Id take pungent bunduk just pooped smell over old lady smell :eek::laughing:

No offence of course to the wonderful older women on pets.....im not saying she had a smell because she was an old lady or even that it was a bad smell. Its just a distinct smell. Like my gramma's smells of mothballs lol.

hazelrunpack
September 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
hazel sniffed madame hazel all over and she knows exactly what you're talking about! :frustrated:

:o

:laughing:

Carpet in the kitchen, eh? Think it would help if you rented a steam cleaner and steamed it? Steam would kill microbes, wouldn't it? :D

The dish thing is easy enough to fix. If the dishes bother you, rid of them and start with new. :o hazel has that same problem... It's weird--when I eat dinner out, I eat off of other people's plates...but if someone gives me an old dish, it just seems...dirty...somehow :shrug: So does this make us all certifiable? :p

Chaser
September 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hazel - all of you were certifiable a LONG time ago! :laughing:

onster - I feel your pain. I have borderline OCD (just see my wedding dress thread!) and the experience of student apartments is PAINFUL! If you're not eating, time for new dishes! IKEA doesn't break the bank, and I've had a set of stoneware plates from them for six years that don't even have a scratch on them.

The steamcleaner idea is a good one.....I once had a carpeted bathroom - disgusting!

Take a deep breath, and make Lysol your friend.

Melinda
September 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
my son once said his apartment at school never smelled like home till he began cooking meals like he had at home....so maybe once you do start cooking?

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I TOTALLY understand, onster. I even have an issue with staying in hotels :o, that is why I have a trailer, so I can take my kitchen, bed and bath with me. I can't eat off plates that haven't been through a dishwasher either.

When we move, we always build new because I can't stand the thought of living in somebody elses dirt.

However, I am not a clean freak with my own house :confused:

onster
September 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
omg thank you hazel, i thought I lost it. lol. WHen i would get grossed out by the plates I would think..Onster..u eat at restaurants all the time!!! Heck you probably washed these plates better than the restaurant did...but then i'd still kinda gag :yuck: it makes no sense really hahaha

Chaser, carpeted bathroom? :eek: I think id faint!! I already have a set of dishes back at home my brother left me. I just didnt brign them cuz i thought using the lady's dishes would be more convenient. I was wrong. Luckily I think ill be ok eating out of my bro's :thumbs up

Melinda...that does kinda make sense. Maybe I just need to get over it and cook.

hahahah l4H, last night as I went to bed I thought that not having the dishes washed in the dishwasher probably didnt help. Oh the luxuries I'm used to :o The steam wouldve helped i think my doubts i think.

I'm with u on the not being a clean freak in my 'own home'. My mom would laugh if she saw me now! At home she always tells me I need to be more clean, i have no 'sense of cleanliness' :rolleyes: (im clean really but not to my mom's standards). I can handle my own dirt. You would think Id be used to it now though.,,this would be my 12th move!! Yet, in the past it seems that having my mom cook/clean, make the area 'homey' first then I had no problem following suit. Mommy's dirt trumps previous dirt. LOL maybe I need her to come here for a bit...

Well..now I know I need to make lotsa $$$ so I can always move into a new home. :rolleyes:

Love4himies
September 23rd, 2009, 08:06 AM
:laughing::laughing: My mom is super clean freak. You can eat off her floors, they are so clean. Maybe is was our upbringing that makes us hate living in other's dirt :shrug:

ancientgirl
September 23rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I don't blame you for being a little icked about stuff. Carpet in the kitchen is just plain wrong. The only thing worse is carpet in the bathroom, and I've lived in a few apartments like that.

CearaQC
September 23rd, 2009, 09:31 AM
I'm the same way!

I don't mind a bit of dog hair here and there, or some leaves that might have come into the house and I certainly don't mind my own mess. I'm definitely not the best house keeper in the world either.

But I freak out over other people's germs, except for DHs or mom/dad and brothers. I watch people when they leave a washroom and think, "they weren't in there long enough to wash their hands." And I cringe inside thinking what kind of nasty cooties did that person just leave behind?:yuck: So let's just say that I don't set foot in any restaurants and do all my own cooking. You never know who spit in your food or didn't wash their hands after using the washroom.

I know what you mean by the old lady smell. My paternal grandmother's house always stunk of old hag. :laughing: The scent of arthritis creams combined with hair coloring chemicals and lotions/soap. And probably the windows weren't opened very much to air the place out.

If you can find it, my all time favorite plant essential oil is May Chang, or Litsea Cubeba. It's an Oriental bitter citrus that is very orange-like. Imagine orange x 100. It is very strong, so a tiny bit goes a LONG way. But it's one of those plant essential oils that seem to make everything feel clean and refreshed. And it will definitely help get rid of old lady smell. I put a couple drops on a cotton ball and drop into my vacuum cleaner and every time I vacuum, the whole house smells of potent citrus and uplifts the spirit.