Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My raw food-eating cat is psychotically hungry!

laruoff
September 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hello,

Owl the cat (my cat) is nearly a year old and has been on a raw foods (Rad Cat brand) diet for about 4 months now. We switched him over because all dry food we tried--3 or so all natural brands--irritated his bowels causing irregular/messy movements. Owl loves the raw food and we feed him 2 times daily according to the suggested servings on the container.

The issue is, Owl scarfs down the food in like 10 seconds flat and then is a whiny, food scavenger until the next feeding time. He's incredibly hungry-acting after eating the raw food and will try, at any time, to eat our food, to break into the cupboard/refrigerator, to lick dirty dishes, etc. in order to eat more.

When he was eating dry food he didn't act like this so I'm wondering if it is directly related to the raw foods diet, or if anyone else has had similar experiences?

Thanks!

Lindsay & Owl

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Is he a good weight? Has he lost weight since on raw?

I feed my cats three times a day, perhaps twice a day is too long between feedings and he gets very hungry. I do believe that raw does digest quicker than kibble and he may be feeling hungry, even though he is getting enough calories.

laruoff
September 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
That's possible. He's a good weight, probably about 8 pounds or so. I guess the issue then was that the raw food we feed him would get quite expensive (we'd run out really fast) 3 times a day.

Suggestions for more cost-effective raw feeding?

thanks!

Marcha
September 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
If your cat is scarfing down the food so quickly, could he have tummy discomfort? My cat will eat when his tummy is upset, probably out of a mistaken sense that tummy discomfort equals hungry?

What happens if you hand-feed your cat for a while so that he won't scarf it down? If you hand-feed, he'll have to slow it down simply because it's going more slowly?

Was your cat used to having food available at all times before switching to raw? If so, he might be wondering where his food supply went, and getting a bit nutso about not having it available, even if he wouldn't actually eat it?

laruoff
September 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Hmmm, we've never left food out for him all of the time (even when it was dry food) and have tried to feed him small portions of the 2-times a day meal at a time to spread it out and help him think he's getting more and more, but he's still hungry. He is always up on top of the stove trying to lick off of pots and pans, it's crazy!

It's possible there's a tummy discomfort though I'm not sure what would would be causing it? He is a long-furred cat, though he keeps himself well-groomed and we brush him, and has only thrown-up once--sometimes I wonder if the speed at which he eats might make him sick . . .

14+kitties
September 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
A lot of his problem could be that he is not getting enough to eat. You said he is almost a year old. He is still growing, therefore he needs more food. Some cats do not finish growing for a couple of years. As he ages he will slow down on his eating. For now he should be getting a sufficient number of calories to keep him happy. A growing kitty needs more calories than does a full grown cat. Could you try feeding him three times a day or larger portions when you feed him? I know you say cost is an issue (don't want to feed my gang for a while, do you? :rolleyes:) so you could consider making your own.
A great site to check out is.......
www.catinfo.org
It also has recipes for making your own food. Keep us posted.

Love4himies
September 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
I make my own raw and costs much, much less than canned. About 50 cents for a 5.5 ounces.

Prepared raw is very, very over priced in my opinion.

laruoff
September 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Haha, no! I don't think I could handle feeding 14 critters at this point (maybe someday.. ..). I think both your suggestions of preparing the raw food at home is a good idea. I had thought to do it eventually after seeing if raw food seemed right for Owl. He CLEARLY loves the food so I guess that's the next step. In the mean time, I will up his portions and try 3x/day and let you know.

Thanks again!

Lindsay

lUvMyLaB<3
September 23rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Unless weight is an issue, there really is no reason to restrist a kittens intake. If he finishes and wants more, you should increase the amount. The lables are just a guideline and each kitty hds their own requirements, kittens always need more, i would also feed him 3 or 4 times. You can in between his current 2 meals give him some raw chicken or other meat if that makes it easier. Good luck, if you start making your own, you are in the right place, some pretty smart experts here!

Khari
September 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
When I first started my two grown cats on raw feeding they were acting like they were starving. I was feeding them the same amount of times as I fed them on canned food 3x's a day. So I started feeding them 4x's a day (sometimes even 5x's) and they didn't seem to be starving as much any longer :thumbs up