Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Broken Bone(s)

ownedbycats
September 22nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Okay, I already posted most of this info in another thread a couple weeks ago, but then I didn't know what main problem was. Misty somehow managed to break/dislocate her sternum, the last two bones between the ribs. She then got a UTI because she was too sore to clean herself properly, or to go use the litter box and just refused to go pee. After 10 days of antibiotics the UTI appears to have cleared up. However, the bones she broke are still healing. We were supposed to keep her in a crate for strict cage rest. we couldn't do that as she started bashing herself against the bars and we risked aggravating the break further. Instead we have her confined to a small room (my bedroom) with all other animals banished, and steps up to the bed so she isn't jumping. The pain meds I was to give her ran out last week (vet orders), but she doesn't seem to be in pain. Okay, this post is getting really long. Here are my questions. Has anyone else had a cat with a broken bone? How fast did it heal? How did you keep your cat entertained without encouraging them to move around too much? Is there anything extra I could add to her regular food (Wellness) that would help her heal better? She doesn't act like she is in pain, but cats are good at hiding when they are sick. What should I look for to see if she is in pain but hiding it?

catlover2
September 26th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Treatment and healing depends on the type of fracture, age of the cat, and which bone is broken. Growing kittens may heal in as little as 5 weeks, a geriatric (senior) cat may take 12 weeks or more. Hairline fractures may only require rest. Careful evaluation by a veterinarian will determine the proper treatment and your vet should be able to tell you how long the healing will take in Misty's case. You are doing the right thing by keeping her confined to a small room. If she's jumping around she isn't in pain. When cats are in pain most cats just hunch down; often the pupils of their eyes will be dilated. They rarely stretch out on their side. Most will move as little as possible if in pain. Most will not be interested in eating much food, tho they may drink a little. A speedy recovery for Misty. :fingerscr

ownedbycats
September 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. Misty isn't that old, so hopefully she'll heal fast. she's going nuts from the lack of exercise and being stuck in one room. I'm going nuts because it's my room she's stuck in, and I'm her only entertainment, so Misty is always talking to me, and jumping on me. I wouldn't mind so much but she wants to play when I want to sleep. The other cats "help" by hanging out just outside the door and pestering her. :laughing: My vet has never had to treat this kind of break before, so while she knows how to treat broken bones she wasn't sure exactly how long this one would take to heal.