Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Copy Cat?

Dragonsteel
September 21st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Ok, we have a cat with bladder stones and he pees in the dog bowls (yes, the dog bowls). I suppose it's a good thing because I just poor the pee down the sink and wash the bowls. As for the stones we're treating them. My question for everyone is this: We have another cat, Toonsis, that is a little jealous of 'bladder-stone' cat and he has begun to pee in the bowls as well. Toonsis does not have any bladder issues, so why is he doing this? Is it the smell that I might have missed on the floor? Is he a copy cat? Do I have yet another quirky cat? :laughing:

sugarcatmom
September 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Do you know what kind of stones they might be (ie calcium oxalate, struvite, etc)? How are they being treated?

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1741

growler~GateKeeper
September 21st, 2009, 11:31 PM
Do not use anything with ammonia in it to clean cat pee as the base property smells much the same. To clean the area around the bowls use a mixture of 1 cup water 1/4 cup vinegar 1/4 rubbing alcohol. Spray the area, wipe up, spray again & let dry. This will elminate the residual smell left behind in the area, also washing the dishes with diluted vinegar is a good idea.

Can you raise the bowls up off the floor out of reach to discourage this behaviour especially with the 2nd one having just begun? Depending on how long this has been going on you may need to re-train them to the litterbox, but hopefully it will be a simple redirection that works :fingerscr

Dragonsteel
September 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Tks everyone for the feed-back. I'll try the vinegar solution to see if it will stop Mr. Toonsis. I have to say that the peeing in the bowls enables me to make sure the urine is diluted and that there is no blood in it. Toonsis doesn't seem to be making a habit of this, it's just once in awhile. I think that's when I needed to use the vinegar solution.
As far as Squeak, we are treating him for HT right now and playing with his Tapazole dosage. We have started him on Methio tablets (3 times daily) :fingerscr for the stones and will decide on our next course of action after the HT is stable. He doesn't seem to be struggling with the stones, so I have to assume the tabs. are helping him. He tested neg. on the stuvites and showed 'snow' on his ultrasound. The vet said calcium oxalate.
We have a gereatric profile coming up at the beginning of Oct., so his PH should have changed by that time too. He's 17 years old, so going under the knife is not something I really want to do.

Thanks again everyone! :D

sugarcatmom
September 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
We have started him on Methio tablets (3 times daily)
He tested neg. on the stuvites and showed 'snow' on his ultrasound. The vet said calcium oxalate.

If Squeak has calcium oxalate based stones, the last thing he should be taking is a urine acidifier like Methio. Calcium oxalate crystals typically form in acidic urine, so acidifying it more is not a good idea. Do you know what his urine ph was at his last check-up?

We have a gereatric profile coming up at the beginning of Oct., so his PH should have changed by that time too.

I highly suggest picking up some ph test strips from a health food store and monitoring Squeak's urine yourself. If you need tips on how to get a urine sample, let me know.